• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

nohatein08

Beach Comber
Feb 6, 2008
Hello! I'm a 31 yo texan in charge of planning a multi-generational family vacation for this May. We'll have small children, golfers, shoppers, and beachaholics. I was originally looking at houses in Destin, but keep finding better accommodations in SoWal. I'm looking at VRBO, and I'm overwhelmed by all the information and lack of information. Location is key for us, since with small children we need close access to pool / beach (short walk is doable).

I've been told to look at Summer's Edge, Old Florida Beach.... any others?

Thanks!

nohatein08

Beach Comber
Feb 6, 2008
Price range... I'm trying to keep it around $2000 mas o menos. We'll have 6 adults, and 2 kids (preschooler and toddler) who need their own nap space. So a bunk room or bedroom, not a pull out.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
In my immediate neighborhood (near Eastern Lake in Seagrove), you are just about in the middle of 30A, convenient to Seaside and Grayton and the all-important Publix at Watercolor. :D Everything I'm going to list is quite popular.

-Summer's Edge is very popular for family vacations. Lots of nice houses. Short walk to the beach. Google "Summers Edge Seagrove". From various agencies. Community pool. Al things equal, houses north of Eastern Lake road should cost a little less, but the walk to the beach isn't much further.

-Sealantro is a modestly priced but nice house. One street over from Summer's Edge and equally convenient to the beach. Find it on VRBO.

-Lemon Drop is a little larger, same street as Sealantro. On www.beachrentalsofsouthwalton.com. Has its own pool. Maybe out of your price range, though. Also at the same agency is Kokomo, which is beachfront, also more $ but very popular.

-Commodore's Retreat condos. Beachfront, has a pool. Very popular, but a house sure would be more fun for me than a condo. www.garrettrealty.com has a lot of units there. Less costly than a house, though.

-Pelican's Watch. On VRBO. Pet-friendly, just 50' from the Eastern Lake walkover, which gives you access to both the beach and the dune lake. No pool, but you've got a beach!

-Tower to the Moon. Also on www.beachrentalsofsouthwalton.com. Has a small pool. Short walk to the Eastern Lake walkover, about as close to it as Summer's Edge is to the Ramsgate walkover.

There are lots of nice beach areas in SoWal. You really can't go wrong with any of them. Much less crowded than the Destin beaches, and more relaxing without the traffic and congestion. Golf on 30A or in Destin. Plenty of relaxing shopping all along 30A. Come see us.

Last edited:

ReginaR

Beach Comber
You may want to consider Dune Allen.
It has the Santa Rosa Beach Golf club for your golfers, Gulf Place is good for eateries and shopping, and since Dune Allen is at the west end of 30A it is close to the larger shopping venues in Sandestin and Destin. There are homes for rent at both ends of Allen Loop Drive (it loops around Oyster Lake and is on the bike path) with beach access at each end of the loop. I don't rent my own home but many on the street are rentals. One year we had a big reunion and my family overflowed to one of the rentals. It was really nice and quite affordable. It is called Walker Cottage. We had 3 couples and 4 kids there. Sorry I am in my Michigan home at the moment so can't run outside to see the names on all the other cottages or the rental agencies. In fact with our -25 wind chill today, I won't be running outside for much of anything. Maybe some lucky person who is actually down there now can add the names and realtors of some of the properties. I will be there in 2 wks so can check then if you are interested.

Truffle Anne

Beach Fanatic
Jan 29, 2008
Dune Allen
I'm there; I'll be glad to pick up a couple names for you, if you like. Just came from the beach and it is picture beautiful! Calm, turquoise clear water. BTW, the advice from TreeFrog is right on.

InletBchDweller

SoWal Insider
Feb 14, 2006
Prairieville, La
:welcome: Seacrest Beach Subdivision is nice--
  • they have a 12,000 sq. ft pool that kids and adults will love, houses and condos a plenty(you can get through a rental company or vrbo),
  • concerts every other Sunday night by the pool
  • tram service to the beach-- You call, they pick you up and take you there.... :cool:
  • walking distance to Rosemary and Alys Beach
  • close to the Village fountains
No matter where you end up, best of luck and have funn!!!:wave:

Bikermomof2

Beach Comber
Oct 17, 2007
Oak Ridge, TN
I've stayed in Brahm's Lullaby in Summers Edge w/entire family (8 adults, 5 kids) and it was very comfortable and close to the beach. Also stayed at Ramsgate w/said family (rented 2 duplexes) and it was really great as it is right on the beach. Convenient for families that have kids who still nap - you can be on the beach and they can be napping w/o being far away. Both are also close to Eastern Lake which (if you've never seen it) breaks into the ocean frequently and makes a fabulous wading pool for little kids. They love it! We built a house in Summer's Edge (we named it High Cotton, but I think the current owners call it Wastin-Away) that is the only one w/its' own pool. the pool is small (like a jacuzzi). The house itself was professionally decorated by a friend in Huntsville, AL, and it is gorgeous inside. It's very big. Lots of beds. Have also stayed in High Pointe Resort and like the pool there. Commodore's Retreat is a favorite. Beachcrest is nice also (if you get a unit that is not full of faded pastel crap). BTW - what's up w/all the pastel - it is so dated!

If you want to be close to shopping in Destin, Crescent Beach is my fave.

nohatein08

Beach Comber
Feb 6, 2008
Thanks everyone! Although we started out thinking "Destin" I'm not as excited to be close to it anymore. I live in a town with lots of restaurants and an outlet mall, etc. I'm struggling to see what Destin offers that my hometown doesn't. Now we're looking forward to the beach vibe and maybe a BREAK from shopping. (and maybe a massage while the guys are fishing / playing golf ;-) ) i"ll check out all these areas!