• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

fisher

Beach Fanatic
Sep 19, 2005
Re: Calling the bottom!

Well, someone needs to tell Walton Co. tax appraisers office that cause I am still not happy my tax bills. You want see investors buying down there until you get a handle on the tax schedule. Taxes have decreased but its not enough. There use to be a time when you could pay cash for rental property, and make a decent return from rentals. "Not any more" thanks to high tax schedules and insurance. Until Walton County and the Florida legislature takes these two problems more seriously, its going to be an extremely slow climb up from the bottom if at all.

You used to be much more bullish--what changed your opinion of the market?

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005

I'll bite....(you know how to chum the waters :cool:)

Here is a thread from a year ago (Feb 2007) with some "upbeat" comments and, yes, talk of a "bottom." http://www.sowal.com/bb/showthread.php?t=11220&highlight=BOTTOM

We all know how 2007 turned out--so I ask you, what do you see that is different in this upcoming year as opposed to last year? The difference I see is there was no indication in early 2007 (for most people apparently--God knows I tried!) of the impending mortgage security meltdown; credit crunch; devaluation of the dollar; increasing unemployment; decreasing sales revenues; inflation and recession....:scratch: but then these issues going forward, in my estimation, would be a negative thing for real estate.

Last edited:

Bobby J

Beach Fanatic
Apr 18, 2005
Blue Mountain beach
www.lifeonshore.com

It seems sellers are slowly getting more realistic on prices. When the price gets right it will go under contract. There is always a buyer! The difference I see in 2008 versus 2007 is 2008 will be the clean up year. We are having sellers come to us to sell stuff no matter what the price is. A couple phone calls and the deal is done. Some sellers wants it off the books and do not care what it will take. Once this stuff is cleaned up, we may enter a normal market. I actually think we will go below the bottom and then have a small spike once folks realize we were at the bottom. Real estate is ever changing!

I have also noticed that some sellers are saying enough is enough and pulling from the market. They would rather not sell in this climate. Too many folks short selling or foreclosing to compete in this climate. We just have to go through this period.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005

Once this stuff is cleaned up, we may enter a normal market.

"Normal" as to when all the Baby Boomers and Saudis blow into town with U-Hauls loaded with cash looking to purchase anything at any price....or "normal" as in "real estate normal?"---(not that many people actually know what that means.)

Bobby J

Beach Fanatic
Apr 18, 2005
Blue Mountain beach
www.lifeonshore.com

"Normal" as to when all the Baby Boomers and Saudis blow into town with U-Hauls loaded with cash looking to purchase anything at any price....or "normal" as in "real estate normal?"---(not that many people actually know what that means.)

Normal may have been a bad term. How about regular.

"The term regular can mean normal or obeying rules."

No mention of Baby boomers or Uhauls in that definition so I guess I mean Real estate Normal.