• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
...Rothschild also estimated that if terrorists hijacked and crashed one of America's 18,000 commercial flights per week that your chance of being on the crashed plane would be one in 135,000.

So do these numbers comfort you? If not, that's a problem. Already, security measures?pervasive ID checkpoints, metal detectors, and phalanxes of security guards?increasingly clot the pathways of our public lives. It's easy to overreact when an atrocity takes place?to heed those who promise safety if only we will give the authorities the "tools" they want by surrendering to them some of our liberty. As President Franklin Roosevelt in his first inaugural speech said, "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself? nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance." However, with risks this low there is no reason for us not to continue to live our lives as though terrorism doesn't matter?because it doesn't really matter. We ultimately vanquish terrorism when we refuse to be terrorized.

Regarding commercial flights, I think to get that level of risk of dying, one would actually have to fly once a week. I doubt the average American flies more than one round trip flight per year, so the chances would be much, much less. than one in 135K.

It is much more likely that the terrorists would shut down America through the internet, rather than some physical attack on our persons or buildings.

up4golf

Beach Lover
Nov 23, 2007
So will it be "More of The Same McCain's" brand of fear mongering to distract us from the real issues that confront our nation?
dave how did you get from where you were to john mccain ? i will agree i would rather vote for obama. shouldn't this start with congress ? do you think the president can stop this ? i hate w but i don't think this is one you can blame directly on him. it seems to be an american society problem . maybe sheriff candidate jimmy macon can weigh in, what do you think jimmy?

Furthur

Beach Lover
Jan 21, 2008
S.R.B.
It's nice to know that some people are sleeping soundly in America.
As opposed to the folks I know in Homeland Security who talk about the stress and night sweats.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I plan for the worst and hope for the best! :wave:

It's like watching a 24 hour news channel - you can freak out or you can get some perspective and live your life. There is always something that is "coming to get you".

IMO idiots in SUVs and whack-a-doo evangelicals are currently a MUCH bigger threat to my safety and way of life than Jihadists!

Pumpkin-22

Beach Lover
Jan 14, 2008
Outskirts of Destin
How come nobody talks about terrorist groups in the U.S.? Skinheads, Ku Klux Klan... feel free to add some others here, friends.

hnooe

Beach Fanatic
Jul 21, 2007
I plan for the worst and hope for the best! :wave:

IMO idiots in SUVs and whack-a-doo evangelicals are currently a MUCH bigger threat to my safety and way of life than Jihadists!

Ok.... Once again, Scooterbug, thank you for the clarity. :clap: