• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
So what ever happened to Miss Chatauqua and the Chatauqua Parade that we used to enjoy in the 1970's/1980's? I didn't stumble around in an evening formal in 1980 for nothing!

Note: this is meant as light-hearted diversion. Except that the stumbling around really did happen. It's a common occurence with me. :blush:

I remember a much different you at that time.

mrs.rocket

Beach Lover
Aug 19, 2007
It's interesting that the handful of people who say they know which is the 'real' Chautauqa have only two or three very accusatory posts in their history and seem to be from the same camp.

Oh, well. I don't have enough time to actively persue or debate this subject, as much as I'd like to.

Long live the Chautauqa, may she serve to unite rather than divide.

Last edited:
T

tooter

It's interesting that the handful of people who say they know which is the 'real' Chautauqa have only two or three very accusatory posts in their history and seem to be from the same camp.

Oh, well. I don't have enough time to actively persue or debate this subject, as much as I'd like to.

Long live the Chautauqa, may she serve to unite rather than divide.

Reply to Mrs. Rocket: The 'handful of people' to which you refer has not intended to be accusatory ... but, rather, to clarify the truth of the matter. The perception that they are 'from the same camp' stems from the mere fact that they happen to have direct knowledge of the issues that have been discussed in the posts. At no point have either of the current Chautauqua-sponsoring organizations claimed to be 'the real' Chautauqua. It's simply a matter of clarifying the organization that has been involved with the 13-year revival of FL Chautauqua, and the circumstances surrounding the emergence of the most recent organization. The facts support the notiont hat there is nothing 'accusatory' here.

And yes, in truest form, the concept and spirit of Chautauqua should unite, not divide. Unfortunately, small-town politics and petty jealousy have crept in and diminished this noble ideal.

I still wonder why two Assembly events couldn't occur in DeFuniak Springs each year, perhaps every six months. DFS is such a wonderful place for such events. I hate to see issues such as this divide a community.