• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
I suspected that there was a glut of rentals on the market. I've been able to find a number of owners willing to negotiate on their prices for the first week on August. Some of the rental companies drop their prices the first or second week of August. So, it sounds like there really is no reason for me to book our rental so far ahead of time unless we have a particular home or condo that we have our heart set on. Do most condos and homes get completely booked up for the entire summer (June-August)?

:chill:
I agree with SGB. Our house normally gets booked up from the first full week of May through the first week of August. Then we end up with a few random rentals in August and September. School starting back the second week of August has really messed up August rentals. And you can get deals in August.

Rather B Paddlin

Beach Lover
Feb 15, 2005
This will be the first time we've stayed in the area since 1995. I've been looking for a rental for this summer. The first thing that I noticed is that rentals for this summer are WIDE OPEN right now for nearly every condo, townhouse, and home I've looked at. When do most vacationers usually start to book their summer rental? It appears to me that there is an overabundance of rentals available (not that I'm complaining). I've been looking over all the possibilities for about a month and don't feel that I need to rush into making a decision since there is so much available right now.

I wonder if the economy, gas prices, real estate market, etc. may have an adverse affect on how many people are renting this summer?

:chill:

For some reason, many home owners do not update their calendars.

Our homes have booked up faster this year than previous years. In the past it seemed we would lose repeat guests because they were buying their own properties after visiting the area. Without the buying frenzy, there are more repeat renters. Early August is a great time to come down. Enjoy your visit.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
I think the first week in August may still be "peak" rate week. If you can wait until the second or third week, the rates will go way down because that's when many places begin their "fall" rates. So, if you have flexibility, I'd definitely recommend going for the fall rates. Everything is still open (though last year in August I don't think the fountains at the Villages at South Walton were "dancing to the music" - I figured that they may have stopped the music (kept the dancing fountains, though) once the peak period was over.

spinDrAtl

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Many Atlanta area schools (and most of Georgia I think) start the first week of August. Some have even started the last week of July in the past year or two, so 2nd week of August is when prices tend to drop off.

luvthebeach57

Beach Lover
Feb 11, 2008
Columbia, MD
Wow ... since 1995 ... have you visited since then? If not, we think you will be in for a surprise!

I'm sure we will be shocked at all the changes. I felt isolated and so far away from everything when we vacationed at Seaside in 1995. At that time, Seaside was the first and only "planned community" in the area and I thought it was the cutest beach community I'd ever laid eyes on. Now there is WaterColor, Rosemary, and WaterSound (just to name a few). I understand there is a Publix near WaterColor, plus many more restaurants to choose from.

We live in the suburbs of Washington, DC. The Emerald Coast seems a world away.

luvthebeach57

Beach Lover
Feb 11, 2008
Columbia, MD
Many Atlanta area schools (and most of Georgia I think) start the first week of August. Some have even started the last week of July in the past year or two, so 2nd week of August is when prices tend to drop off.

Why in the world do the schools in Georgia start so early? We live in the Washington, DC suburbs. Most of our schools start the week before Labor Day or after Labor Day.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
I'm sure we will be shocked at all the changes. I felt isolated and so far away from everything when we vacationed at Seaside in 1995.

Haven't seen it since 1995? :shock: "Shocked" is an understatement.
You'll think someone dropped a "People, Traffic, Condo, Subdivision, Tents/Toys/Plastic Junk, Big Blue Sign Bomb" on the place. :D