• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Why in the world do the schools in Georgia start so early? We live in the Washington, DC suburbs. Most of our schools start the week before Labor Day or after Labor Day.
Well, they've added fall break, MLK break, winter break, and some teacher work days. For them to get out of school by the end of May and get the number of class days required, that forces them to start in early August.

luvthebeach57

Beach Lover
Feb 11, 2008
Columbia, MD
Well, they've added fall break, MLK break, winter break, and some teacher work days. For them to get out of school by the end of May and get the number of class days required, that forces them to start in early August.

Wow, that's a lot of breaks. Do they get a week for each one? Our kids get Christmas break and Easter break. Those are the only week long school holidays. Our kids usually go to school until the 3rd week of June. Personally, I've always thought a year-round school calendar would be nice because it gives the flexibility to take vacations at various times through the year. I hate always having to go on vacation at peak times where everyone else goes and prices are the highest. When our daughter graduates from high school in 2011, we will be able to vacation whenever we want!! :clap:

spinDrAtl

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
There was a big debate a couple years ago with some pushing from tourist areas (the east coast beaches - Jekyll, etc) regarding losing a month of business. Other arguments for starting later were the heat and having to run AC on high in the schools, extra smog from the buses and increased traffic, which mostly pertained to metro atlanta. The later start contingent didn't get very far though.

WhiskeyRiver

Beach Lover
Aug 29, 2005
Bartlett, TN
Haven't been down since '95 - boy are you in for a shock! My family and I are down at least 2x a year and sometimes more and we see changes every time. Area is grayt and so much funn and I would highly recommend staying on 30-A - our fav is Seagrove Beach area. There are some great condos and rental homes. We rent through Garrett Realty and can't really speak for any of the other rental cos. I am sure the locals and other SOWALers can give pointers. We have had good luck with Garrett. We stayed at Seaside many years ago and it was fine but very expensive now and very hard to get gulf front rentals.

P.S. We book our stays at least a year in advance - but you shouldn't have any problem booking now for the summer. :D