• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

CiaoBella

Beach Lover
Apr 20, 2005
Please explain to me (someone who has no knowledge of real estate terminology) what a short sale is and exactly what it means if I am a homeowner offering my home for a short sale. Thanks in advance for your responses!

CiaoBella

Beach Lover
Apr 20, 2005
Thanks Mermaid, very helpful! Is it correct to think that any seller doing a short sale is really hurting for money? The link stated this sale is often last step before foreclosure, how long do banks normally allow someone to live in a home they are not, or only partially paying for?

MaxxandMe

Beach Lover
Feb 27, 2007
Seagrove Beach
It doesn't necessarily mean that the seller is hurting. A lot of sellers want to stop paying on a piece of property that is worth a lot less than what they owe. Therefore, they stop paying, put it on the market, hope for an offer,and hope the bank will allow them to sell for less than they owe. Sometimes, the bank will allow the seller to sell for less, however, they then make arrangements with the bank to pay off the balance. Every Bank handles it differently. I have heard that the banks won't even consider a short sale, in other words wont discuss an offer, unless seller is delinquent in payments. It seems we learn something new about short sales on a daily basis. It is a crazy market not just here, but across America.

spinDrAtl

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
As was said, all banks are different but I have heard that most will not even consider a short sale unless the buyer can prove they are unable to pay, not that they just don't want to.

CiaoBella

Beach Lover
Apr 20, 2005
Thanks, I enjoyed your article. What about the Freeport area? I have seen one listing for a home in Hammock Bay as a short sale.

NewUrbanGirl

Beach Lover
Feb 4, 2006
If one does intend to try a short sale, make sure to specify "without recourse" for the bank, otherwise they will come after one for the difference in selling price and amount owed.