• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
[/b]Do we really have to do this? :shock: 3 PM? What time do snowbirds go to bed? Like 7?

:rotfl:...yes. They are earlybirds as well!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I like to putz around, and it takes 45 minutes to get there with me driving. I think the doors open around 4pm, and you want to check out the boats coming in, while you are there. My suggestion is to avoid going during the first two weeks after they reopen for the year. Otherwise, it is crazy. Also, while restaurants in that area really don't have much difference in the crowds between the weekdays and the weekends, still try the weekdays, as the difference may still mean a slightly less wait to be seated. Snow birds typically don't like to drive after dark, so during this time of year, they like to be home by 6pm.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I like to putz around, and it takes 45 minutes to get there with me driving. I think the doors open around 4pm, and you want to check out the boats coming in, while you are there. My suggestion is to avoid going during the first two weeks after they reopen for the year. Otherwise, it is crazy. Also, while restaurants in that area really don't have much difference in the crowds between the weekdays and the weekends, still try the weekdays, as the difference may still mean a slightly less wait to be seated. Snow birds typically don't like to drive after dark, so during this time of year, they like to be home by 6pm.

I kinda told her we would go Saturday, but your comment about the first 2 weeks is scaring me off, and I will embellish it enough to sway her as well. Will save it for her going away dinner.

Yay! Nick's! I get to go after all!

Santiago

Beach Fanatic
May 29, 2005
seagrove beach
No offense to anyone but Captains Table or Uncle Ernies are not even in the same league as Captain Andersons. Having said that, I go to Capt Table much more than Captain Anderson's. It is primarily an oyster bar/fried seafood place and is not bad at all, but it's not Captain Anderson's. However, the crowds at CA are a pain in the azz. I've never eaten fried seafood there but the grilled bay shrimp and scamp imperial are exceptional. We quit going to Uncle Ernie's long ago but the location on the water is very nice.

Arkiehawg

Beach Fanatic
Jul 14, 2007
SoWal
Aww, c'mon, Captain Anderson's in an institution. I once had an excellent broiled flounder there. I have also had mediocre fried stuff. Everyone should do it once;if for no other reason to watch the humanity, poke around the marina and see what it was like to dine out in the 1970s. :wave:

Did it once.....No more.

Overpriced for average food in a noisy hen house.

For the money....I'll stay on my beloved 30A and support Sowalers....

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
jdarg, when you do go, I'd go with SJ's advice and go early so you can watch the boats come in. That is one of the things that has made CA's an institution.

You can also see what's fresh that way. While I don't have to see a cow walk by to pick a steak, I do like to see which fish I'm going to have. ;-)

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Went to Nick's. :D Yum! Saving the Capt. Anderson adventure for another night.

Don't worry Arkiehawg- 99% of Darg meals eaten out are consumed at 30A restaurants.;-)

pmd8

Beach Lover
Jul 27, 2005
While Captain Anderson's may not be gourmet, it has consistently fresh seafood. The fried shrimp, scallops (bay scallops, not those huge ones) and oysters are excellent.

I've only been to Captain's Table once. The raw oysters were obviously not fresh and the fish was mediocre. That's why I've only been once.

Hunt's is not quite what it used to be but the oysters are almost always good.

The best crab cakes are at Uncle Ernie's

The best oysters are at Gene's Oyster Bar in Millville. Gene goes to Apalachicola himself to pick out his oysters.

Most restaurants in Panama City actually serve oysters from Louisiana because most Apalachicola oysters are shipped to other markets. That's not to say they're bad, just that they're not as advertised.

Last edited: