• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
how sad that people use a something like that as an excuse...:cry:
all I can say is KARMA!!

Veryt true. I also agree with everything you said above. Although some people use management companies or companies use VRBO, they should be upfront about this.

luvthebeach57

Beach Lover
Feb 11, 2008
Columbia, MD
The owner just gave me the option to cancel or change my reservation up until the last minute without penalty. She has been very kind and flexible. I've developed a rapport with her so that she feels that she can trust me. I've never had to cancel a beach reservation in 25 years. So, to answer my own question, yes an owner can override the rental mgmt policies.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
The owner just gave me the option to cancel or change my reservation up until the last minute without penalty. She has been very kind and flexible. I've developed a rapport with her so that she feels that she can trust me. I've never had to cancel a beach reservation in 25 years. So, to answer my own question, yes an owner can override the rental mgmt policies.

I think it will be a rare owner that will do this, especially without penalty. What if you do have to cancel 3 days before, and she can't re-rent? She loses a whole week of rental income- wow.

InletBchDweller

SoWal Insider
Feb 14, 2006
Prairieville, La
luvthebeach,

I am glad everything worked out for you. one thing I enjoy about renting through vrbo is getting to know the people that are renting them - especially the ones who stay a week. I had a person once who had to cancel due to an emergency about 3 weeks out. She wanted to reschedule another date but I didnt have any that would work for her. She asked me to take money out of the rent that she had already sent me, I didnt. Once again, KARMA. I ended up renting the unit again and she was not out any money. :love:
I felt good about it which is all that matters.

spinDrAtl

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
We allow full refunds for cancellation 45 days or more prior to arrival minus a small ($25) fee. Anything less than 45 days is not refundable unless we can rebook the property. Some people don't seem to realize that many times we have taken our property off the market for them for 6 months or more and have possibly turned down numerous other renters (many people inquire even though the availability calendar shows no availability).

Last minute cancellations for medical reasons and such are tough on the guest but most owners just cannot assume that risk themselves throughout the high rental seasons. We are not a hotel with hundreds or thousands of rooms. Our rental contract states that the guest is aware of the cancellation policy and has been advised to consider trip cancellation insurance.

Any evacuation is fully refundable but bad weather and rain is not.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007

This does happen, most rental companies will comply with what an owner wants to do. Except for extreme situations like over population of the unit.

We allow full refunds for cancellation 45 days or more prior to arrival minus a small ($25) fee. Anything less than 45 days is not refundable unless we can rebook the property. Some people don't seem to realize that many times we have taken our property off the market for them for 6 months or more and have possibly turned down numerous other renters (many people inquire even though the availability calendar shows no availability).

Last minute cancellations for medical reasons and such are tough on the guest but most owners just cannot assume that risk themselves throughout the high rental seasons. We are not a hotel with hundreds or thousands of rooms. Our rental contract states that the guest is aware of the cancellation policy and has been advised to consider trip cancellation insurance.

Any evacuation is fully refundable but bad weather and rain is not.

That's very reasonable. Do you rent on your own or thru a rental company?