• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

What do you think of the new blue signs being installed on 30-A?

• Love them!

Votes: 21 7.0%
  • Somewhat like them

Votes: 12 4.0%
  • Neither like nor dislike them

Votes: 24 8.1%
  • Somewhat dislike them

Votes: 32 10.7%
  • They're horrid!

Votes: 210 70.5%

• Total voters

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Aw shucks Ma'am. Twernt nothin.

Thanks for making the trip down! This is important!

The meeting date on Wednesday the 26th is a good one- Walton County spring break starts Thursday March 27th. Hopefully not too many people will be taking off on Wednesday (like me) and will be able to attend. I know quite a few local people that will be attending this meeting that will be going OOT for spring break.

fishcookies

Beach Comber
Mar 11, 2008
This is my very first post -- I joined sowal's message boards just to comment on these signs. Ugh, and double-ugh.

I don't know if sowallers love or hate or just tolerate us tourists, but I've been coming sowal a couple of times a year ever since a college friend introduced me to Grayton Beach 15 years ago, and I like to delude myself into thinking it's my home-away-from-home. In fact, I just mentioned to a friend today that though I've traveled all over the world, sitting on a beach south of 30A is my favorite spot in the universe...

Am I a putz for wanting to cry over these ghastly signs? I liked the old ones so much I even let myself be seen looking like a gawking tourist just so I could take a picture of one for the scrapbook a few years ago. I guess it's a good thing I've got that picture now...

I will never understand why people don't get it. Whether it's locals or the tourists local businesses like to see coming -- people like it here because it's not Destin or Panama City! It still has some remnants of charm! The water is gorgeous, the sand is soft, D&K Cafe makes my heart pitter patter -- but if the amusement park signs are any indication of where sowal is headed, I might have to change my favorite place to Daufuskie Island, SC, where they don't have street sign issues because they barely have streets... I guess I'm not much for "progress."

Anyway, I wish I actually lived there so I could fight the power with you guys. Actually, I wish I lived there for lots of other reasons. Come to think of it, wretched signs or not, you guys have it made... See you in June... A Sunkissed Martini Trio appetizer at D&K has my name on it...

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington
This is my very first post -- I joined sowal's message boards just to comment on these signs. Ugh, and double-ugh.

I don't know if sowallers love or hate or just tolerate us tourists, but I've been coming sowal a couple of times a year ever since a college friend introduced me to Grayton Beach 15 years ago, and I like to delude myself into thinking it's my home-away-from-home. In fact, I just mentioned to a friend today that though I've traveled all over the world, sitting on a beach south of 30A is my favorite spot in the universe...

Am I a putz for wanting to cry over these ghastly signs? I liked the old ones so much I even let myself be seen looking like a gawking tourist just so I could take a picture of one for the scrapbook a few years ago. I guess it's a good thing I've got that picture now...

I will never understand why people don't get it. Whether it's locals or the tourists local businesses like to see coming -- people like it here because it's not Destin or Panama City! It still has some remnants of charm! The water is gorgeous, the sand is soft, D&K Cafe makes my heart pitter patter -- but if the amusement park signs are any indication of where sowal is headed, I might have to change my favorite place to Daufuskie Island, SC, where they don't have street sign issues because they barely have streets... I guess I'm not much for "progress."

Anyway, I wish I actually lived there so I could fight the power with you guys. Actually, I wish I lived there for lots of other reasons. Come to think of it, wretched signs or not, you guys have it made... See you in June... A Sunkissed Martini Trio appetizer at D&K has my name on it...

I'd say you are qualified as a quasi-local.....We need more visitors like you and Thank you!!!:clap:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Here's some (bad) pics of a tourist who was looking for Grayton Beach State Park this evening and using the new way finding signs got lost and had to turn around in Grayton Beach "proper". Albeit this started as some funny post dinner entertainment, they were backing up on the beach, they were able to finally turn around.

Mar12_0001.jpg

Mar12_0002.jpg

Mar12_0003.jpg

Mar12_0004.jpg

Taken from D&K's.

Last edited:

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
Even my hubby, who always wonders why I get worked up about things, finally admitted that the signs were butt-ugly, huge and totally out of place. HIs first stance was, "I don't know why all of you are bothering with the issue. It's not a big deal at all. There are bigger things in life to worry about." Now he says they are like huge, ugly popsicles on the side of the road that don't fit into SoWal.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
:welcome: Fishcookies. Great post!

Yes- it is a great post.

Fishcookies- these "wayfinding" signs were built for you- the tourist. The TDC thinks you are blind and stupid and you need gigantic blue signs to find your way to the corner, then loudly announce where you are when you arrive.

Your tourist voice is VERY important- please send e-mails/letters to the Board of County Commissioners and the TDC!

chrisv

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Freeport, Florida
I liked the old ones so much I even let myself be seen looking like a gawking tourist just so I could take a picture of one for the scrapbook a few years ago. I guess it's a good thing I've got that picture now...

Good for you. I took the old signs for granted, and don't have a pic like that, maybe that is another reason I think the new ones are so out of place.