• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
I'd like to figure out how to get more winter rentals. Our agency got us someone for the month of February which is great. Also, I think it would be good for the local businesses if we could figure out a snowbird strategy to get more people from the north (I assume it would be the midwest) to come to SoWal. On the other hand, if it becomes a popular place for snowbird rentals the locals wouldn't have the same peace and quiet they are used to, which is a real treasure in SoWal (but I imagine snowbirds would be quieter than the summer crowd and the loss of some peace and quiet may be worth the extra business to support the local businesses). So, I'd want the website to target snowbirds as well as peak season renters (the peak season seems to do fine and fall/winter are growing).

wetwilly

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Atlanta, Ga.
I wonder if there is a "snowbirdrentals.com" or something?? I am going to do some research and find out.

I was just typing this reply out and jumped to another browser and googled snowbird rentals and I found a few:

http://www.snowbirdhelper.com/snowbird_rentals.htm and this one has multiple states advertised. One condo listing in Santa Rosa Beach in Gulf Place http://www.snowbirdhelper.com/BD2/bd573.htm but nothing in Seagrove, a few in Destin, and my guess is that most snowbirds want to go further south to Ft Lauderdale and places that are warmer. :dunno:

http://snowbird-rentals.com/ but this one is only a site for Arizona and California.

Sheila

SoWal Insider
wetwilly said:
I wonder if there is a "snowbirdrentals.com" or something?? I am going to do some research and find out.

I was just typing this reply out and jumped to another browser and googled snowbird rentals and I found a few:

http://www.snowbirdhelper.com/snowbird_rentals.htm and this one has multiple states advertised. One condo listing in Santa Rosa Beach in Gulf Place http://www.snowbirdhelper.com/BD2/bd573.htm but nothing in Seagrove, a few in Destin, and my guess is that most snowbirds want to go further south to Ft Lauderdale and places that are warmer. :dunno:

http://snowbird-rentals.com/ but this one is only a site for Arizona and California.

We have snowbirds that return each year. They had always gone to the development and we just happened to be there renovating in the winter when they were looking for the next year. Our Condo has a little clubhouse and they plan all kinds of parties for the time they are there. It's an easy walk to a lot of shops and resturants.

At our other place over in Seacrest Beach. We flat line in the winter months. Not enough activity and things within walking distance to entice them.

We don't rent in the winter because early on we had a bad experience with some end of the season renters who trashed the place. My take on it was "what do you get when you have cheap prices? ... cheap (bad) renters" Obvioulsy many of you have had good experiences renting in the winter. Compared to your summer rate would you say a MONTH in the winter rents for about the same as a week in the summer? Is it worth the wear and tear on your place for the rate you can charge?

Sheila

SoWal Insider
Shutters said:
We don't rent in the winter because early on we had a bad experience with some end of the season renters who trashed the place. My take on it was "what do you get when you have cheap prices? ... cheap (bad) renters" Obvioulsy many of you have had good experiences renting in the winter. Compared to your summer rate would you say a MONTH in the winter rents for about the same as a week in the summer? Is it worth the wear and tear on your place for the rate you can charge?

It's worked for us so far. I can only speak for my own experience. Our snowbirds were so happy to get a place that had been renovated that they were overboard onthe care of the place. We went by one Jan. day to visit (surprise) and they had a couple of friends over. All their little shoes were lined up outside the door and they had tableclothes and throws over the chairs in sofa to make sure they didn't get soiled. They stay in touch year round and are always concerned if "those summer folks" took good care of their winter home!

We do charge our summer weekly rental for a month in the winter.

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
gotothebeachmom said:
They stay in touch year round and are always concerned if "those summer folks" took good care of their winter home!

:cool: What great renters! And I'm sure you treat them right too!

Sheila

SoWal Insider
Rita said:
:cool: What great renters! And I'm sure you treat them right too!

We adore our Snowbirds! They arrive on Dec. 30th (they rest up for the big New Years shindig in the clubhouse) we make sure they have a nice goody basket delivered the day of arrival. They share with all their buddies! They are just the sweetest folks.

bsmart

brain
Aug 19, 2005
Atlanta, GA.
Sueshore said:
Love the avatar Shutters! Pretty color!

I love it too. Bermuda shutters are my favorite design feature in coastal architecture.

Last edited:

Philip_Atlanta

Beach Lover
Mar 1, 2005
www.rosemaryrental.com
We use a number of the sites mentioned. However; a big site that no one seemed to mention (that we don't use yet) is a1vacations.com They are the one of the big 4, so to speak (vrbo, greatrentals, and cyberrentals are the others) - but I never see much mention of them. Anyone have experience with a1vacations.com?

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Thanks for the recommendations. We have some people staying for the month of February this winter. Our monthly rate will be the same as our summer weekly rate. We'll see if the wear and tear, as well as utilities for a month and cleaning fee, make it worth it. I figure that even if we come out a bit ahead, as long as people take care of the place, it's worth it to pay some bills, if not the mortgage. If people have a good experience, their word of mouth advertising will bring more snowbirds to the area.

And renting in the winter does bring people to SoWal to support the local businesses during the slower months. Coming from a family who has had small businesses for a few generations, I know that the support of the locals is critical to their livelihood. I really hate to see several small businesses go out of business every year.