• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
The owner was definitely at fault and doesn't deserve your business. If this is the way the owner takes care of potential renters, imagine how he takes care of his place and the people actually renting it, especially under stress.

We stayed in a place in Italy from VRBO last year (I love VRBO). We were pleased, but decided to stay in another place in the same Italian town for this summer. When the owner contacted me through email to see if we planned to rent her place again this summer, I honestly said no because we wanted to try something different (though we'd go back to her place again sometime and most likely recommend it) and (in addition) though we really liked her and her place, it didn't have enough living room furniture for us and we like to socialize a lot. Though I like her a lot, I was surprised that she didn't get back to me and say, "Thanks for the feedback, I hope you have a good time and that you consider us again. We'll be getting a few more chairs" or something like that. So, it's likely I wouldn't stay in her places again anyway because the exchange just seemed a bit curt (even if it wasn't intentional, it was an opportunity for her to kindly market her place to me for the future. So, (as an owner of a few rentals in SoWal), I know that how we respond to the "no's" is as important as how we respond to the "yes's" as owners in the long-run.

No potential guest should be treated impolitely, ktchris. UB OTAY.

The exception for me is when someone emailed me two weeks ago for a rental this week and offered me for a week what I charge for a day. It's not worth the wear and tear on the house to rent for such a paltry amount, and I let him know so. It was an insult.

ktschris

Beach Fanatic
Nov 18, 2004
St. Louis
Thanks you guys.

If a couple of more families decided to come, I'm still up in the air about passing this guys number on. I guess I'll just wait and see.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
No potential guest should be treated impolitely, ktchris.

The exception for me is when someone emailed me two weeks ago for a rental this week and offered me for a week what I charge for a day. It's not worth the wear and tear on the house to rent for such a paltry amount, and I let him know so. It was an insult.

So you should always be polite to renters, except when they annoy you! :rofl:

InletBchDweller

SoWal Insider
Feb 14, 2006
Prairieville, La

BR, I understand completely.

People forget it is a business and not EBAY...:lol:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
KTS, don't ever call this guy again, sounds like a loon.

Gotta love those folks. :blink:

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Thanks you guys.

If a couple of more families decided to come, I'm still up in the air about passing this guys number on. I guess I'll just wait and see.

I wouldn't pass this guys number on to friends because they may get treated disrespectfully as well. There are so many nice rentals available with good owners, I'd tell friends not to contact this person or this rental. First impressions can give pretty good insight into how a person treats his/her guests in general and whether they see their rentals as places/opportunities to spread goodwill and help people have a great vacation or whether the places are simply investments. Nothing wrong with having a "simply investment" strategy except it can end up being a different experience than when an owner is really interested in taking care of guests and their experiences from the very first contact.

spinDrAtl

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005

Several weeks ago I had someone email me regarding our ski condo. The nightly rate is around $250, lodging tax is 10.35%. Minimum stay during ski season is 5 nights (but flexible to fill empty holes and also as the dates get closer). They were inquiring about a 3 night stay on a weekend in high season this month. So they want a prime weekend, less than minimum stay, and the guy asks if I will take $300 all total.

I simply replied 'No'. It's possible that a future customer could be lost, but someone offering that low an amount would most likely balk at putting up a security deposit almost equal to what they were offering, would not take care of the place, and just wouldn't be worth it at all.

swantree

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2006
SRB
www.blueswell.com
i see many many many queries about rentals.....if I took them all personally then i'd die! everyone has a budget or theme, whatever....it is interesting that people don't always read the discriptions on the VRBO's and sometimes you get a bit irked by it......ie...."where is the house"....you mean the one with the the address on the first line of the first sentence on the first page of VRBO........ohhhh, "here's your sign".....but that is just the way people are! I personally try to give out other options to people....if we are booked....give it to another SoWal person.....someday they may return the favor!

imasunbum

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2005
Had some last minute guest call about my place at The Villas at Seacrest Beach and quoted rate - asked that she call me back yes or no so that I could plan a trip myself if they decided not to rent. She called back and said no. It is unusual to have a potential guest call back and say no. I expressed my apology for my rate being out of her range, thanked her, wished her luck and asked her to keep me in mind for next trip. Much to my surprise, she called me back a couple days later and we came to a mutual agreement on a rate that made us both happy and they are spending the week at my place. If you are rude it does nothing but come back to bite you in the #$$ eventually and you don't sleep well so WHY BE RUDE!!!!!