• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
i hate looming

...then you'll have to turn in your "cultural creatives" membership card and decoder ring.

OurGang4.jpg

Last edited:

TheSheep

Beach Fanatic
Jan 30, 2007
Farms
tinyurl.com
looks like a pretty interesting idea from DPZ.
Indeed it is.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/5j3s4y

Great places resonate with the community inhabitants, longevity and sutainability lie in parallel.

Longevity has several benefits, the most obvious of which is the conservation of resources. But pattern longevity also allows sophistication, as the ideas of millions more minds are added to the legacy of a regional language of architecture through decades and centuries.

Part of the problem that New Urbanists face (as evidenced SoWal) is the fact that the movement has only had 35 years to mature; ideas will be much more sophisticated as time passes.

I applaud the developers of Sky.

30ashopper

SoWal Insider
Apr 30, 2008
Right here!
This location is horrible, it's too far from a large community and too far from the beach, and somehow I doubt folks who prefer the luxury of golf, tennis, and spas are going to be willing to farm their own crops. If you're going to build a kibbutz in the central panhandle, do it right. I like the idea of a community like that, but a "luxury" kibbutz? That's a little over the top.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
It's a very interesting idea, but I question the location and who will be working the fields. Sustinince farming is hard on the manicure and they'll need more than solar-powered golf carts to bring in the harvest.

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
I wish them well. I have concerns as to where the income will come from to support the number of people expected to relocate to Sky. $200K - $600K to live in the middle of nowhere just seems a bit steep. Plus another $90K for the dirt.
I hope 624 homes doesn't threaten the beauty of the Eco-fina and Chipola either.

TheSheep

Beach Fanatic
Jan 30, 2007
Farms
tinyurl.com
This location is horrible, it's too far from a large community and too far from the beach,
Could it be possible that the beach is not a consideration?:shock:
and somehow I doubt folks who prefer the luxury of golf, tennis, and spas are going to be willing to farm their own crops. If you're going to build a kibbutz in the central panhandle, do it right. I like the idea of a community like that, but a "luxury" kibbutz? That's a little over the top.
I would love to hear your suggestions.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
The beach has a significant effect on moderating climate in these parts. Common to be 5 degrees cooler for highs in summer and 10 degrees warmer for lows in the winter when you're right on the Gulf compared to 40 miles inland.