• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Magic Hour

Beach Comber
May 11, 2005
Thanks for all you are doing to combat this unsightly development.

In my opinion, these developers should be held to the same height standards that the developers at Edens Landing have adopted.

My letters when out today.

There is no substitute for a vocal and united group representing Pt. Washington.

Quirk

Beach Crab
Nov 3, 2005
The way they get around the 100 year flood plain is to get out of the floodplain, usually by filling it to raise the elevation of the ground. Often this results in flooding to surrounding properties.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Quirk said:
The way they get around the 100 year flood plain is to get out of the floodplain, usually by filling it to raise the elevation of the ground. Often this results in flooding to surrounding properties.
Which is also illegal and they will be liable.

DBOldford

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Napa Valley, CA
This is one of the most unimaginative standard subdivision maps that I've ever seen. This is what developers do when they are merely trying to plug in the maximum number of units. In fact, it looks more like a mobile home park than a stick development. I would be willing to bet that the developer has a manufactured housing product in mind with this design. The setbacks are so minimal as to allow no effective landscape buffer from the ramrod straight road. Even a two-story height will translate into zero privacy for backyards.

The County and Point Washington deserve so much better than this. This development bears no semblance to the character of Pt. Washington whatsoever. Has anyone seen elevations for these units? Be sure to ask whether they are manufactured units. Someone should ask why units can't be clustered in order to create more interest and larger areas for landscaping. Really, this looks like the makings of a slum, although the houses will probably market for somewhere around $500K, I would expect. Finally, what has the developer been required to do in terms of affordable units as a mix with this? This is exactly the kind of development where some inclusionary affordable units should be a requirement, especially if the developer is requesting a density bonus. Just a few thoughts from a planner.

DBOldford

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Napa Valley, CA
P.S. My husband took a look at this site plan and reminded me that in the Colorado ski country, we used to call it "Stack-a-Shack." You would think the builder would introduce a little bit of diversity by having some different elevations and unit types and sizes, that is, some one-story units and some variety in how they are configured on the lots. All the lots are even identical. Some one-story units would also provide for some more affordable and/or moderately-priced housing stock mixed in with the market rate homes.

Please feel free to use the "Stack-a-Shack" vernacular in your testimony before the County Commission. Good luck, everyone.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Donna said:
P.S. My husband took a look at this site plan and reminded me that in the Colorado ski country, we used to call it "Stack-a-Shack." You would think the builder would introduce a little bit of diversity by having some different elevations and unit types and sizes, that is, some one-story units and some variety in how they are configured on the lots. All the lots are even identical. Some one-story units would also provide for some more affordable and/or moderately-priced housing stock mixed in with the market rate homes.

Please feel free to use the "Stack-a-Shack" vernacular in your testimony before the County Commission. Good luck, everyone.

So it sounds like you are familiar with Tim Henderson's (Hendco) building style. He does change the color from house to house, but nothing more. I like your idea of one-story units, but not if it is Tim's usual 1400 sf home. I have seen enough of them. Perhaps if I remember, tomorrow, I will takeand post a picture of a street of homes which he built.

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
Smiling JOe said:
.... He does change the color from house to house, but nothing more. ....

Color changes according to what paint's on sale at the time! ? :roll:

Are the chances of this getting approval good? It would seem there would be such good arguments against it as it is presented now. Or is this one of those deals where the developer plans from the start to have to make compromises so he gives himself LOTS of wiggle room? (so he can better get what he wants in the end) :bang:

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Rita said:
Color changes according to what's on sale at the time! ? :roll:

Are the chances of this getting approval good? It would seem there would be such good arguments against it as it is presented now. Or is this one of those deals where the developer plans from the start to have to make compromises so he gives himself LOTS of wiggle room? (so he can better get what he wants in the end) :bang:

I don't know what the chances are that it will get approval. It would not surprise me if it was approved. It could depend upon the relationship between Tim and the County Commissioners. People cannot just show up to the meeting and say that Tim's projects are unsightly, and hope that it does not get approved. The Commissioner are supposed to look at evidence. Why is this project non-conforming? What is the history of Pt Washington? How might this project, if approved, hurt the other land owners in the area? etc.

Today, most developers do not leave much wiggle room. ie- they typically don't ask for more than they want, because their projects will more easily be rejected. I think it is more typical to initially ask for less until it is approved, then come back and ask for a little more.

DBOldford

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Napa Valley, CA
Yes, it's easier to swallow following a thousand bites than in one gulp. But if the planning parameters, such as overall density and height limitations are set at the beginning, it is much more difficult to make substantive changes later. On the face of it, it would seem there is no overriding benefit or argument as to why this developer should get exceptions to existing ordinances and other County plans. I do not see any redeeming qualities in this design. I see some buidling envelopes encroaching into wetlands areas.

In fact, a closer look makes me wonder if this will pass muster with the fire protection provider. They have provided this turnaround for the engine, but if the houses are two-story (or taller, as you indicate he requests), then it will be very difficult to fight a fire and prevent it from spreading from one house to the next. The sideyard setbacks are too close and the height of walls too great. The "Stack-a-Shack" concept that I referred to had a fire in a ski community just outside Aspen and the fire department could not effectively fight the fire because of the construction and proximity of sidewalls within the development. The entire project was lost to fire.

The folks on the bus will want to ask the fire department about their review of this project and point out that there may be no "clear access" around the buildings due to the minimal sideyards and > height of structures. In cases like this, a ladder truck would be required. Does the closest response fire station have a ladder truck? Many don't. The cost for these trucks is around $875K, which doesn't include requirements for additional trained personnel at the station to operate the trucks (two drivers instead of one, etc.).

If I was a neighbor commenting on this project, I would ask for more variation in the building styles, sizes and elevations. I would ask for a landscaping concept that justifies the clean cutting of the forest there. I would carefully read all the in-house comments that other departments make (Fish & Game, Building Dept., Fire Department, Public Works, etc.) and make sure that their requirements are clearly conditions of approval that must be met before a building permit can be issued. And most importantly, I would lobby the County staff and officials to the effect that the project does not include any redeeming or overriding benefits that justify a deviation from the County's existing plans and ordinances and design review precedents. Good luck.