• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

DBOldford

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Napa Valley, CA
Yes, it is sad that Fido cannot go to the beach with visitors at SoWal. And quite possibly a question of equal protection when property owners are allowed the exclusive priviledge. But who's going to sue the County over dog poop? I recall many famous Grayton Beach dogs of the past and also recall my brother twice being attacked on the beach by German shepherd dogs that were off-leash. I am glad that Butter can be walked there on leash. He gets very excited just hearing the sound of the wind and waves. On the other hand, the truth is that dogs are not a good mix with a fragile wildlife preserve. This is particularly true with nesting turtles and their eggs, and some sea birds.

The other issue is waste on the beach, of course. Folks, I've gotta say that for every person walking their dog with a poop bag at the ready, I see ten who let their dogs foul the beach and just keep truckin' without so much as kicking sand over it. I had to hire a regular landscape service because of it--not to landscape my yard (which is mostly white beach sand), but to pick up dog poop so that it doesn't roll into the swimming pool. And you want to walk your dog on a snow-white beach! :angry:

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
I will start by stating that I am a dog lover. Had one all my life until I moved here and I still hope to have another. I like meeting people with their pets on the beach...for the most part.
I totally agree with Donna in regards to the respect level of too many people and yes, it is ruining it for the rest.
My wife and I have confronted people on multiple ocassions reminding them that they need to do something about that stink pickle their dog just bombed the beach with. We hear excuses such as, "Oh, I didn't bring anything with me" or "I didn't know the dog planned to do that" to which I respond that they have two hands and next time make sure to ask the dog to tell you when they plan to go.
I ask them how they might feel to see some small child filling their bright yellow pail with sand and come up with a handful of a really bad memory.
If you are not willing to be responsible for your pet, please don't expect the rest of us to accept the consequences.

This is a universal and extremely frustrating issue. Life would be great if all pet owners were responsible. Unfortunately, there are selfish idiots everywhere. :pissed:

I'm the softball director at our local park, and even though we also have a dog park in our city, a lot of people prefer to let their dogs run in the fenced softball fields. Which would be fine -- I do that myself -- but UNLIKE me, most people don't have a thought for the children who run through the fields trying to field pop-ups or grounders. For every pile of poop I bag and discard, I see several old piles that people negligently leave behind.

I'm ordering signs that say 'they poop, you scoop' with some malarky about city ordinances, but I doubt it will do any good except to make me feel I've done something to educate the stupider animal owners. What else can I do? :dunno:

Phoenix Rising

Beach Lover
Apr 24, 2006
The other day I overheard my three-year-old telling a friend, "When we go to the beach we have to watch out for sharks, jellyfish, and dog poop." :yikes: Sadly, that has been our reality.

Geo

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Generally, owners of beach permitted dogs are pretty responsible. There certainly are some bad apples but this is how it is with everything else-

There are inconsiderate parents who let their kids run on dunes, dig holes and not fill them in, etc.

There are inconsiderate smokers who think butts aren't litter and bury them in the sand, throw them in the streets or off walkways and onto the dunes, etc.

I'm not looking to ban kids or smoking (well maybe smoking on the beach like they did in CA). And I am hugely in favor of the status quo for dogs on the beach.

But what I think we really need is to just continue to inform visitors about the existing laws on the books (and to enforce those laws) and we need folks to be responsibile and courteous...

2 cents...

Sorry to whomever it was that was peed on!

Truffle Anne

Beach Fanatic
Jan 29, 2008
Dune Allen
Generally, owners of beach permitted dogs are pretty responsible. There certainly are some bad apples but this is how it is with everything else-

There are inconsiderate parents who let their kids run on dunes, dig holes and not fill them in, etc.

There are inconsiderate smokers who think butts aren't litter and bury them in the sand, throw them in the streets or off walkways and onto the dunes, etc.

I'm not looking to ban kids or smoking (well maybe smoking on the beach like they did in CA). And I am hugely in favor of the status quo for dogs on the beach.

But what I think we really need is to just continue to inform visitors about the existing laws on the books (and to enforce those laws) and we need folks to be responsibile and courteous...

2 cents...

Sorry to whomever it was that was peed on!
:clap: A TERRIFIC 2 CENTS (must be pre-recession....)
YAY! Responsible dog owners (who, me?) DO clean up any effluvia, as well as walking dogs BEFORE going to beach, AND just staying off the beach on very crowded days--no sense in making anyone uncomfortable. But on those lovely winter days, my leashed family members love to walk and sniff, and it's a wonderful part of life here. By the way, they pause and wait for me as I pick up cig butts, soft drink cans, and plastic waste. :wave:

Last edited:

WileCoyote

Beach Lover
Dec 5, 2007
Walton County
One correction here, yes the county agreed to allow the Bark Park to temporarily lease land, but the maintenance is actually paid for with funds raised through memberships and fundraising. That is why there is a members day, to encourage people to join, in order to continue to keep the park operational. The Bark Park board felt that the park should be free to all dogs---visiting and local, though they have an agreement with the county that Bark Park is responsible for the maintenance of the park. They depend on members donations for pet waste removal, cutting the grass, insurance and all other expenses.

So, whether someone is a dog lover or not, supporting the park is a good idea because it gives dogowners a place to let their dogs run---hopefully reducing the number of dogs that are on the beach or other inappropriate places.

Well let the Coyote set this straight.

Below is an excerpt from the BCC Commisssion minutes of November 13, 2007.

"Motion by Commissioner Brannon, second by Commissioner Comander, to approve the Consent Agenda as follows. Ayes 5, Nays 0, Pridgen Aye, Meadows Aye, Jones Aye, Brannon Aye, Comander Aye.

Use of District 5 Recreational Plat Fees for off-leash canine park in the amount of $12,000.

Renew Interlocal Agreement with City of DeFuniak springs for Mosquito Control Services.

Approve use of District 1 Recreational Plat Fees for landscaping the Armory in the amount of $10,000 and Juniper Lake Park Improvements in the amount of $45,936.

You guys need to have afew more fund raisers. Seems you needed $12,000 from the "County Coffers to Continue To Fund The Operating and maintenance cost associated with the Park Park, Inc.

Below is the Vendor History report. You got $12,000 on November 30th.

View attachment 8326

Chandra

Beach Fanatic
Excellent fact checking Coyote! I stand corrected. My involvement with the park was prior to this date and up until this time, board members and volunteers were working dilligently to raise the funds necessary to open and maintain the park. Perhaps as it was when I was involved, member donations just aren't covering all the expenses. That's unfortunate. Anyhow, thanks again for your due dilligence.

:D
:clap: A TERRIFIC 2 CENTS (must be pre-recession....)
YAY! Responsible dog owners (who, me?) DO clean up any effluvia, as well as walking dogs BEFORE going to beach, AND just staying off the beach on very crowded days--no sense in making anyone uncomfortable. But on those lovely winter days, my leashed family members love to walk and sniff, and it's a wonderful part of life here. By the way, they pause and wait for me as I pick up cig butts, soft drink cans, and plastic waste. :wave:

I must say I'm glad to hear that you can get a permit to have dogs on the beach. I AM a responsible dog owner, and it would be a major bummer to move there and not be able to introduce my goldens to the glories of the gulf! (Ooo, how's that for alliteration?)

And BTW.... the English major in me LOVED your use of the word 'effluvia'. :D

seaside2

Beach Fanatic
Apr 2, 2007
All over the place
:D

I must say I'm glad to hear that you can get a permit to have dogs on the beach. I AM a responsible dog owner, and it would be a major bummer to move there and not be able to introduce my goldens to the glories of the gulf! (Ooo, how's that for alliteration?)

And BTW.... the English major in me LOVED your use of the word 'effluvia'. :D

And the rest of us dummies had to google it!!!:funn::rotfl::rofl: