• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Indigo Jill

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2006
Point Washington
www.sowalscene.com
You just don't get it do you? Why would you think people would attend an event for a doomed and idiotic marketing campaign like "The tm Beach". Unless they want to watch a sinking ship. You can have all the best intentions in the world but if your ship is called "The tm Titanic" you're doomed. Interesting that you hawk Vie magazine by the same people involved in the campaign, and now you're all for it.

What on earth are you talking about? My professional admiration for the work done by "the people" behind Vie Magazine has absolutely nothing to do with my opinion on the Coastal Vision 3000 campaign to bring increased exposure to NW Florida.

No, Buster, YOU don't seem to get it. How could I, or anyone for that matter, have an opinion on The Beach campaign before collecting all the facts - the who, what, where, when and why? I would think that is EXACTLY why someone would attend a presentation on something they felt passionate about. I am not a reactionary - basing one's decision on something as empty as aesthetics - like logo design or a chosen color palette, both of which can always be changed - has absolutely no merit nor should it ever.

So what was it that I based my final opinion on? It's very simple, really - here we have a large group of business leaders who have come together to facilitate positive change for our community. That is exactly what this campaign is about. And I will always support such efforts.

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
Maybe Okaloosa County and Bay County need to change, but South Walton doesn't. The majority of people on that group belong to our neighbors to the East and West, who perhaps have some problems they need to address. If we could keep some of their manipulative people out of our county, school plays and politics, it would be much more peaceful here.

Indigo Jill

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2006
Point Washington
www.sowalscene.com
GW58 the only point I can disagree with is that "The great northwest" was actually a good and descriptive slogan. Other than that I am on the same page. The fact that the whole event was set up so that even a protester would have to pay $15.00 in advance to disagree or protest is rediculous. Not to mention the TDC dollars waisted to reserve said protest seat.

This is what I don't understand - why would you have wanted to "protest" against the campaign at a luncheon designed to inform the public on what the campaign is all about, from someone who was there from day one? Why couldn't you have paid the $20 bucks to show up to hear the founding members perspective? And what exactly are you "protesting"? The name? The color choices? The logo design? Just curious.

Indigo Jill

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2006
Point Washington
www.sowalscene.com
Maybe Okaloosa County and Bay County need to change, but South Walton doesn't. The majority of people on that group belong to our neighbors to the East and West, who perhaps have some problems they need to address. If we could keep some of their manipulative people out of our county, school plays and politics, it would be much more peaceful here.

Aahhh...DuneLaker - I hate to be the bearer of bad news but change in SoWal is inevitable. Change is inevitable period, actually. The growth is going to continue whether we like it or not. What Coastal Vision 3000 is attempting to do is ensure that change is positive.

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
I don't disagree that change will happen in its own due time. South Walton just doesn't need people from Bay and Okaloosa counties who have pretty much made a mess of their beaches trying to dictate change to us. South Walton is doing a great job of taking care of itself and the rate of its change.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Jill, I have no problem with naming the entire region, from Gulf County to Escambia Cnty, to help concentrate dollars on advertising. No biggy. However, naming the area THE (TM) BEACH, and trademarking "THE," in front of everything from "Restaurant" to "Rental Company," is about as stupid as it gets for various reasons I have already mentioned.

I didn't attend the presentation because I have no influence in a club which has members paying up to $15,000 in order to join. That, and the fact that they won't change the name based on me or anyone else telling them how stupid it is. I surely wouldn't pay money to attend to listen to them try to explain the reasons for choosing a name. Obviously, these people are completely oblivious to the fact that many people enjoy the world's beaches. While our beaches may be the best in our minds, they are not THE (TM) BEACH.

Indigo Jill

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2006
Point Washington
www.sowalscene.com
Jill, I have no problem with naming the entire region, from Gulf County to Escambia Cnty, to help concentrate dollars on advertising. No biggy. However, naming the area THE (TM) BEACH, and trademarking "THE," in front of everything from "Restaurant" to "Rental Company," is about as stupid as it gets for various reasons I have already mentioned.

I didn't attend the presentation because I have no influence in a club which has members paying up to $15,000 in order to join. That, and the fact that they won't change the name based on me or anyone else telling them how stupid it is. I surely wouldn't pay money to attend to listen to them try to explain the reasons for choosing a name. Obviously, these people are completely oblivious to the fact that many people enjoy the world's beaches. While our beaches may be the best in our minds, they are not THE (TM) BEACH.

You would have learned a lot if you had attended, in particular that they are restructuring membership options and are contemplating offering a free membership level as well.

But I respect your opinion and appreciate you sharing it.

dunelover

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2007
Oklahoma girl
www.thebeamstore.com
A trademark is worthless unless it is enforced......Can you imagine the marketing department paying a service to collect all the "infringements" on THE Beach, and then some employee w/ the marketing department sifting through all the "infringements" to have the legal department send trademark violation letters to. I just see it a impossible to manage a trademark that broad. :dunno:

Indigo Jill

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2006
Point Washington
www.sowalscene.com
A trademark is worthless unless it is enforced......Can you imagine the marketing department paying a service to collect all the "infringements" on THE Beach, and then some employee w/ the marketing department sifting through all the "infringements" to have the legal department send trademark violation letters to. I just see it a impossible to manage a trademark that broad. :dunno:

I may not have this 100% correct but I don't think a TM can be legally enforced. It must be a "registered" TM (federally) in which case it would be identified with an R. I don't think you can register "the". Anyone know for sure?

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I am fairly certain that a TM can be enforced. As I see it, from my non-legal opinion, the TM on "the" is the artistic design and font of the word, just as Coca-Cola has a TM on the fancy script of Coca-Cola. As I see it, anyone could use the phrase "the beach," without infringing on the TM of "the (TM) Beach." I tried to find that logo for demonstration purposes, but when I googled "the beach," there were 78,500,000 hits for that phrase, so I couldn't find "the (TM) beach," among all of the beaches in the world.

When I googled "the beach" for images, I didn't see that logo, butt this came up:

no_butts_3_2_550.jpg

Last edited: