• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

sberry123

Beach Comber
Mar 5, 2006
My30A,

If you're interested in Plantation after a walk-thru, have your $150,000 in 75 straps of $100s in a briefcase...slide it across the counter at the sales office, pop it open and say you want "one of those" <pointing to the house> for "this" <pointing to the briefcase full of cash>. Before they get a chance to answer, give them your business card and tell them they've got 24 hours to call and leave a message to accept your offer--otherwise the price goes down by $2000 (one strap) per day for the next week, then the offer is off the table. Tell them you've got other properties to visit, snap your briefcase shut, take a lollipop out of the jar, wish them good day....and walk away.:cool:

(If the builders can be "so creative" so can the buyers. ;-))

Shelly you are killing me! That is so funny, but true!! Okay, here it goes....
When the developer in Orange Beach was building the Grand Caribbean there were going to be a 100 units with 40 parking slots under the building. The cost of the parking slots were $10,000. To ensure that everyone has a chance on getting a parking slot the developer sent out a document giving each pre-construction buyer a first, second and third choice for a parking spot under the building. Well some sold but not many since so many people were really just going to flip there unit. The condo was completed in 2003 and we now have a very busy onsite realtor. The realtor sent out letters to the current owners reminding them of the opportunity to purchase available parking slots under the building, a couple more sold. Fast forward to 2005, now there was no onsite realtor and the developer sent letters to current owners offering %50 ($5000) for a parking slot under the building, a few more sold. Fast forward to the summer of 2007 at the annual owners meeting. The association president has a list of remaining parking slots under the building for sale and said the developer want to finish selling all the parking slots. Fast forward to January 2008, I thought of offering $4000 for a parking slot but decided to offer $3000 and negotiate up to $4000. Called the devoper, left a message offer $3000 for the parking slot close to my unit. Expecting to negotiate the developer called me back and said... are you ready, "Ah ya sure we can do that." From $10,000 in 2003, to $5000 in 2005 to $3000 in 2008. Ya gotta just go for it! :cool:

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
it could be a problem if you get pulled over by the police. By law, they can confiscate an cash amounts over $10,000, without cause, because you could have acquired that money via trafficking illegal drugs.

I'd tell the officer my story of the real estate deal (maybe produce a deflated Open House balloon), show him a copy of the Currency Transaction Report from my bank for the withdrawal, and if he still wants to take me in, I'll offer to swing by the Krispy Kreme for a box of glazed donuts for the gang at the station while the Sarge calls my bank manager to check on the story.

Last edited:

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Called the devoper, left a message offer $3000 for the parking slot close to my unit. Expecting to negotiate the developer called me back and said... are you ready, "Ah ya sure we can do that." From $10,000 in 2003, to $5000 in 2005 to $3000 in 2008. Ya gotta just go for it! :cool:

Glad your patience paid off.

As weak as the US Dollar is at the moment, it still packs a punch with businesses that are looking the the barrel of an economic recession.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I'd tell the officer my story of the real estate deal (maybe produce a deflated Open House balloon), show him a copy of the Currency Transaction Report from my bank for the withdrawal, and if he still wants to take me in, I'll offer to swing by the Krispy Kreme for a box of glazed donuts for the gang at the station while the Sarge calls my bank manager to check on the story.

It's $150,000 in the bank account of the Sheriff's Office, or some donuts? :funn:They could give a rat's @ss about your reason, even with proof. By law, they can take it without stopping to ask you why. However, that is irrelevant, because the developer most likely wouldn't allow you to leave with it in your hand.

Last edited:

elgordoboy

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2007
I no longer stay in Dune Allen
It's $150,000 in the bank account of the Sheriff's Office, or some donuts? :funn:They could give a rat's @ss about your reason, even with proof. By law, they can take it without stopping to ask you why. However, that is irrelevant, because the developer most likely wouldn't allow you to leave with it in your hand.
FTP and Ren said it with authority.