• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

What do you think of the new blue signs being installed on 30-A?

• Love them!

Votes: 21 7.0%
  • Somewhat like them

Votes: 12 4.0%
  • Neither like nor dislike them

Votes: 24 8.1%
  • Somewhat dislike them

Votes: 32 10.7%
  • They're horrid!

Votes: 210 70.5%

• Total voters

Beachmom

Beach Fanatic
Sep 7, 2006
Grayton Beach!
Re: Big Day Today!!

Great job everybody!:clap:I couldn't be there:sosad:- single parenting a sick child, but it looks like a great turnout:clap::clap::clap:

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
Blue Signs in the Paper Today

This is the article ran on the FRONT PAGE of the Northwest Florida Daily News. Not in the local and state section, but the FRONT PAGE!

Bravo - Keep the heat on! Those signs are awful looking.

WALTON COUNTY

Opponents flood TDC sign meeting

By ANDY MEINEN andym@nwfdailynews.com

SANTA ROSA BEACH ? Many of the 70-plus people who jammed Wednesday?s workshop to discuss the large blue signs on Walton County Road 30A wore their opinions openly.
Signs that read ?The Big Blue Monsters Must Go? were stuck on their chests and backs to show disdain for the directional and community markers the county?s Tourist Development Council installed late last year.
And for most at the sometimes raucous two-hour meeting at the Coastal Branch Library, there seemed to be only one suggestion: Remove the signs at any cost.
?This is why we are here. You have our answer,? said Grayton Beach resident Karen Monroe, one of many who believed their calls to remove the signs were not being taken seriously.
TDC spokeswoman Tracy Louthain reminded everyone to keep an open mind after grumpy murmurs spread from the crowd.
?We really want this to be a productive meeting tonight,? she said. The TDC set up the workshop to get ideas about what should be done with the metal signs. The agency?s staff was on hand to write down suggestions. They ranged from selling the signs to Disney World to changing the material of the markers to planting palm trees behind the signs to help them blend into the environment.
Dave Rauschkolb, a member of the Scenic Pride Initiative, a group trying to get the signs removed, said the TDC missed its mark.
?We don?t dispute anything the TDC does except for these signs,? he told the agency?s representatives.
The TDC bought 49 signs for about $260,000 to be placed throughout the county and in the various beach communities along CR 30A.
Sonny Mares, the TDC?s interim executive director, said the signs are part of the council?s marketing and branding efforts to establish South Walton as a premier vacation destination. He said the signs are part of an overall ?family of signs? that will help visitors recognize the area.
Rauschkolb said locals, along with TDC staff and council members, are a family that usually has what is best for South Walton at heart.
?I think some of us think it is a dysfunctional family of signs,? he said. ?Sometimes with families, we don?t agree. And this is one instance that we don?t agree, and hopefully we can come to some positive conclusion to put this all behind us.?
Not everyone is upset with the signs, but voices of approval were few. Theo Farnsworth of Point Washington said after the meeting that the signs help visitors.
?Traffic flows so much better (on CR 30A) because they (visitors) know where they are going,? he said.
The TDC board will address the markers at its next meeting at 9 a.m. April 9, said Mares. He said the meeting could be moved from the TDC?s office to the library to handle the crowd.
TDC board member John Gills attended Wednesday?s meeting and said he and other council members will review the suggestions made at the workshop. When pressed for his stand, he said that he?d have to listen to his fellow board members.

End of Story

My biggest question is who at the TDC is so damn insistent on changing the "Brand" of the Beaches of South Walton? The current campaign is award willing, classy and the message So Walers want out there.???

Where did this person come from? Is there someone new that is trying to fix something that is not broke?

Allifunn

FunnChef - AlisonCooks.com
Jan 11, 2006
St Petersburg
Re: Blue Signs in the Paper Today

“Traffic flows so much better (on CR 30A) because they (visitors) know where they are going,” he said.
The above quote was from Theo Farnsworth and taken from the article.

Don't they get the point that any signs would help visitors find their way around 30-A??? Why do the signs have to be so tacky? We are not against having signs, they should just be more in keeping with the "feel" of the area! Not so dang "touristy" like Disney or Myrtle Beach :eek:
To me, those signs are an affront to the integrity of the beautiful area they are supposed to represent.

Last edited:

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local

Don't they get the point that any signs would help visitors find their way around 30-A??? Why do the signs have to be so tacky? We are not against having signs, they should just be more in keeping with the "feel" of the area! Not so dang "touristy" like Disney or Myrtle Beach :eek:
To me, those signs are an affront to the integrity of the beautiful area they are supposed to represent.

Please make note that the above quote was not made by me. It was part of the article written in the paper. Thanks.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005

Thanks for posting, Yippie. I believe Andy needs to check his head count; it was SRO, and the library holds 100 people; there were about 30 people outside. It was a great night!

:clap:

Allifunn

Jan 11, 2006
St Petersburg
Re: Big Day Today!!

Like the video. That is some quick editing work.
Makes you really wish you had been there!!!!
Of course the visitors could see the signs, you can't miss them :shock:, but why are they so UGLY?? They truly are an abomination and are a slap to the integrity of the area!

Allifunn

Jan 11, 2006
St Petersburg

Please make note that the above quote was not made by me. It was part of the article written in the paper. Thanks.
True...sorry I did not mean to make it appear as though the quote was yours! :blush: It was directly for the article and was a quote of Theo Farnsworth. I'll edit!
Thanks for posting the article :D

Last edited: