• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

What do you think of the new blue signs being installed on 30-A?

• Love them!

Votes: 21 7.0%
  • Somewhat like them

Votes: 12 4.0%
  • Neither like nor dislike them

Votes: 24 8.1%
  • Somewhat dislike them

Votes: 32 10.7%
  • They're horrid!

Votes: 210 70.5%

• Total voters

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Absolutely, wasn't it required? The lady I asked said it was required but one person had objected and didn't sign his name. After reading the news story about the possible violations of the Sunshine Law, I think we know it was the reporter who rightly objected. I didn't however use my own name. I may look dumb, but I ain't stupid. Those signatures and email addresses become public record for anyone to obtain, as per the Sunshine Laws of FL. I'm guessing you know that, and are holding a copy of that sign in page right now. Fortunately, I learned that a few weeks ago, when I was reading up on the laws.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Absolutely, wasn't it required? The lady I asked said it was required but one person had objected and didn't sign his name. After reading the news story about the possible violations of the Sunshine Law, I think we know it was the reporter who rightly objected. I didn't however use my own name. I may look dumb, but I ain't stupid. Those signatures and email addresses become public record for anyone to obtain, as per the Sunshine Laws of FL. I'm guessing you know that, and are holding a copy of that sign in page right now. Fortunately, I learned that a few weeks ago, when I was reading up on the laws.

:rotfl:Darn. Yes I do happen to be holding a copy of it. Had at 9AM the next morning. If nothing else, getting public records from the BCC has got to be the easiest thing anyone can do. I was going to send it to Aleonard to help in her quest, but never mind now.

For anyone else trying to look into things, making the request to Walton County Legal Department is the quickest way to get a response. They have the knowledge to 'splain things in a way that illicits a quick response.

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
Red Dawg, I'd disagree that proceedure was followed. While that is their (TDC) story and they're sticking to it, there is evidence that shows otherwise. I've been here all my life too, and am so grateful that many who have moved in, from yesterday to decades ago, work really hard to keep the charm of this area. Those signs are horrible, don't fit in and must come down. Sure, things have and will change, but it needs to happen with real understanding and vision. Some of the largest developments along 30A opted out before signs were put up. More would have if adequate and fully transparent advance notice had been given. With the Scenic 30A designation, additional signage will come along if and as needed. Thank goodness some of the most reckless and manipulative developers in Bay and Okaloosa ignored us during the 80s and 90s. Otherwise, we would look just like them. Some were stalled during the early 2000s, but it looks like they are reving up for a new run. If we can just keep them and others that don't have a clue about who we really are out of our business, we will continue to be beautiful and prosperous. And, there is passion for all the other topics, this was just timely and on the docket this week. Just because it is not on the front page of the newspaper, doesn't mean people aren't working behind the scenes.

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
:rotfl:Darn. Yes I do happen to be holding a copy of it. Had at 9AM the next morning. If nothing else, getting public records from the BCC has got to be the easiest thing anyone can do. I was going to send it to Aleonard to help in her quest, but never mind now.

For anyone else trying to look into things, making the request to Walton County Legal Department is the quickest way to get a response. They have the knowledge to 'splain things in a way that illicits a quick response.

Ding Dang it. Foiled again:bang: Oh well, back to stalker mode:ninja:

JonnyWay

Beach Crab
Mar 28, 2008
30A will not loose its scenic highway designation. FDOT has several requirements for its State Road signs. If they do not meet the requirements FDOT will have them removed.

These state wayfinding sign requirements include:

- 4.5" tall text on small roads like 30A and 6" tall text on large capacity roads.
- The sign needs to be 84" to the bottom of the sign panel.
- The contrast between the background and the text must be a 70% contrast in color.
- The text needs to be engineer grade reflective vinyl
- The destinations need to be based upon a criteria list

The question is is 30A a state highway?

If so, the above rules will have to be met as FDOT does not make exceptions.

If not a more contextual design (i.e. routed dimensional signs with a rustic or rural character) is the way to go. and you don't need FDOT's involvement.

I do not live on 30A but have vacationed there a few times. You all have a wonderful sliver of paradise and I look forward to returning. The character of your community should not be diminished by some signs they should be enhanced by wayfinding system you can be proud of.

Jonny

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
What is more funn to do on a Friday night than to read through the FL DOT (Dept of Transportation) rules for wayfinding signs on State Highways?
Here are a few design rules from the FL DOT:

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Verdana]14-51.052 Design.

(1)
Red, yellow, orange, fluorescent yellow-green or fluorescent pink shall not be used as background colors for Wayfinding Signs, in order to minimize confusion with regulatory, warning, construction, or incident management signs.

(2) Background colors, other than those stated in Subsection 14-51.052(1), F.A.C., shall be allowed on Wayfinding Signs.

(3) A minimum contrast value of legend color to background color of 70 percent is required for Wayfinding Signs (ADA minimum contrast value).

(4) Enhancement markers may be used, at the option of the applicant, as a means of aesthetically identifying the Wayfinding Signs. The size and shape of an enhancement marker shall be smaller than the Wayfinding Signs in order to avoid confusion with traffic control devices.

(5) A pictograph may be incorporated into the overall design of a Wayfinding Sign.

(6) There shall be a maximum of three destinations shown on each Wayfinding Sign....

At the meeting the other night, the interim Director of the TDC pulled out a display board, saying that the signs were designed to FL DOT standards. He was defending the blue color of the background on the signs, saying that the FL DOT's guidelines required the background color to be blue. Reading item #1, above, I fail to see that.

Also, regarding item #6, above, If there is a max of only three destinations to be shown on each wayfinding sign, what the hell were they thinking making the signs that big? I thought maybe they were saving room for future developments to be added, but if they follow the FL DOT guidelines, they won't add any more destinations.

CR 30A is a County Road, hence the "CR" in the name. My point of the above, is that the interim Director of the TDC was giving us false information, trying to steer the 200 ppl in attendance into working around the blue color of the signs.
[/FONT]

up4golf

Beach Lover
Nov 23, 2007
if the signs somehow were just gone one day do you think they would be replaced ? remember there used to be one on 331 just south of the bay it hasn't reappeared yet .

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
if the signs somehow were just gone one day do you think they would be replaced ? remember there used to be one on 331 just south of the bay it hasn't reappeared yet .

Did the TDC have the authority to post a County sign on State Highways, like 331? They screwed it up anyway. If they tried to spend another $5400 to replace that sign, I would really begin to raise some hell, and it wouldn't be at a TDC meeting. It would be a the BCC (Board of County Commissioners) Mtg.