• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

jensieblue

Beach Fanatic
Jun 2, 2005
on a lake in the woods
I hesitate to comment on this...I am a frequent tourist and not a resident. But on the other hand. I have information gained from a 35+ year career working both with victems of abuse and with abusers. First, have the kind of relationship with your child where your child knows they can tell you anything without fear of reprisal. If what they have to tell you is a problem, you will help them deal with it...that is what parents do..whether that is a problem with drugs, alcohol,a neighbor or police. Your child has to know with confidence you are on their side. Second, be involved in your child's life. Whether that is sports, scouts, school, church, friends. Know that pedophiles come in all stripes. Know your friends parents, know those that chaperone your child. Trust me when I tell you I have had people of all sorts...pastors, police, volunteers, teachers...you get my drift, referrred to me by courts secondary to confirmed incidents of sexual abuse...Never, never dismiss what your child tells you. Encourage your child, children, to stay in groups. Tell you child to call you any where, any time, night or day, if they ever feel uncomfortable. And promise that you will come get them. Develop your child's confidence and esteem. Pediophiles are skilled at seeking out the child who is isolated, unsure, unconfident, and they maliputate these troubles to their advantage. Never forget that their are assults from known assailants and random assaults of opportunity. Your child is wandering around the mall, etc. No place is completely safe but explain to your child knowledge is power.

dunelover

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2007
Oklahoma girl
www.thebeamstore.com
Jensieblue---good post. I agree w/ what you have said. So true....

One of our school districts just bought a scanner system that scans drivers licenses (which have felony data on them) when a visitor comes to the school. The district is set up to only alert on sex offenders. I thought that was great, no worry about who is volunteering in your kids' classroom, or going w/ your child on a field trip.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Jensieblue---good post. I agree w/ what you have said. So true....

One of our school districts just bought a scanner system that scans drivers licenses (which have felony data on them) when a visitor comes to the school. The district is set up to only alert on sex offenders. I thought that was great, no worry about who is volunteering in your kids' classroom, or going w/ your child on a field trip.

That's all well and good, but how does the DMV or the scanner now about unconvicted or unknown sex offenders. Don't throw caution to the wind over a machine.

dunelover

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2007
Oklahoma girl
www.thebeamstore.com
That's all well and good, but how does the DMV or the scanner now about unconvicted or unknown sex offenders. Don't throw caution to the wind over a machine.
I agree, most are unconvicted and unknown, and looking for EASY targets.

Especially since your kid is in the most danger from family friends and relatives! :yikes:

Your right, I Know, I know......I don't have my kids any school anyway......It is just a nice added piece of protection.....

Goddessgal

Beach Lover
Mar 28, 2007
Florida!
I have taught in a number of after school venues where the schools have the scanners. True, you may not know who might be an unconvicted/unknown offender, but at least you have an official record of who is entering your school on your computer. Anyone can sign in with a false name, otherwise. Positive i.d. is also necessary to avoid a child being picked up by one parent in a custody dispute who should not be doing so, etc.

Even though it is true that sexual predators can be found in surprising places, security should be a top priority in schools. It is the one place that we should do at least what we can. No one should be able to enter the building freely without registering and having the administration know exactly who is on campus.

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington