• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington
I didn't realize that, but I am glad that I am not alone with my thoughts.

EXACTLY how I feel. The dues have doubled and there are less benefits for small businesses. I use to put teams in the Gold Tournament. I chose the Walton County because it was affordable for a small business to sponsor teams, rather than the MUCH more expensive Destin tournament. Now, the cost for sponsoring a team has doubled and it almost as much as the Destin one, if not a little more.

Here is a list of the Board of Directors. There is some diversity there, but maybe they are unaware of what small business are thinking?

http://www.waltoncountychamber.com/AboutTheChamber/BoardofDirectors/tabid/62/Default.aspx

I voiced my opinion a year ago and was basically hung up on. The current director had never ran an chamber when she was elected, and there is nothing wrong with that. However, she seems to be out of tune with the local "flavor" and the preservation of it.

Maybe if enough people feel the same way and will post, we can e-mail the board this thread.

More opinions please.

Noticed a board member there that is on the TDC as well.

Bs1chiro

Beach Lover
Jun 14, 2005
Pt. Washington
I too have been disappointed with the Chamber. I joined when I opened my practice and actually was involved in one of the "councils" until the time of meeting was in the middle of my day. I have gone to the "business after hours" in an attempt to network but I found it to be very cliquey...is that a word??!! Tough to mingle and network when everyone is in their own group. Anyway I think a local "Sowal Networking Group" may better benefit the local small business and those of us that depend on and appreciate word of mouth and local referrals. It could be a monthly meeting and rotate to be in different local business each month....an exchange of business cards, general introductions and brief descriptions of each persons business.
Anyone interested and/or have similar ideas???? Let me know!!!!

swantree

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2006
SRB
www.blueswell.com
we used to have one that was started at/around Seaside and ended up in Destin...called PFS....Partnering for Success. It was a Christian based program....you know Prayers at first! it desolved over time due to lack of interest. I would be interested in starting another....I have permission to use the Methodist church for a meeting hall. same type of program...i have other people interested if you want to PM me on it.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Very few people ever enter the Chamber's doors. It is true that you get out of it what you put into it. I know of other Chamber's which do draw many visitors because they have much to offer. Our Chamber is pretty lame, and I cannot name one benefit they have given to my company.

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
I too have been disappointed with the Chamber. I joined when I opened my practice and actually was involved in one of the "councils" until the time of meeting was in the middle of my day. I have gone to the "business after hours" in an attempt to network but I found it to be very cliquey...is that a word??!! Tough to mingle and network when everyone is in their own group. Anyway I think a local "Sowal Networking Group" may better benefit the local small business and those of us that depend on and appreciate word of mouth and local referrals. It could be a monthly meeting and rotate to be in different local business each month....an exchange of business cards, general introductions and brief descriptions of each persons business.
Anyone interested and/or have similar ideas???? Let me know!!!!

I am interested. I attended a network group in Destin a few times, but was not impressed. Mainly because I knew of new businesses before they did.

But, I can see a benefit in networking 30-A. I can offer something to a group, however, I think religion should be kept separate. I feel religion is a very private thing.

swantree

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2006
SRB
www.blueswell.com
I am interested. I attended a network group in Destin a few times, but was not impressed. Mainly because I knew of new businesses before they did.

But, I can see a benefit in networking 30-A. I can offer something to a group, however, I think religion should be kept separate. I feel religion is a very private thing.
i agree....very private.....this group will form soon, and all comers will be welcome....no religious pressure...not a forum for bible thumping...it was just some of the people in the church were feeling the same issue that is on this thread....so i said..we have a building! a need! form a group and see what comes of it....!

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
There is a need for a South Walton business group that will promote business here. With the new airport in Bay County, South Walton is really going to benefit. Tourists will land and will find our beaches as close as those in Panama City. Just a short drive down four-lane 79 to four lane 98 and then they are on Scenic 30A. Workers and new businesses will want to locate in Walton because of our close proximity and beautiful environment. They will not make the further and busy drive to the cities and county to the West.

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
So who wants to lead the group. i am not a leader, but can contribute information.

Indigo Jill

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2006
Point Washington
www.sowalscene.com
I was a previous member of the chamber - for two separate businesses - and I agree with others feelings on it here - that you got out of it what you put into it and it was more B2B focused (i.e. all the after-hours events, meet and greets, blah blah blah).

I will say, though, the people who do put effort into being active do get a lot of exposure.

Is anyone else experiencing this? My posts aren't showing up when I am not signed in :dunno: I was at a computer last night where the owner of the computer wasn't signed into the board and NONE of my posts were showing up! Help! And what about your inbox/outbox? Are they functioning? Mine isn't 'there.
UPDATE - somehow my messaging got turned off - but still can't figure out my ghost posts?

Last edited: