• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

What do you think of the new blue signs being installed on 30-A?

• Love them!

Votes: 21 7.0%
  • Somewhat like them

Votes: 12 4.0%
  • Neither like nor dislike them

Votes: 24 8.1%
  • Somewhat dislike them

Votes: 32 10.7%
  • They're horrid!

Votes: 210 70.5%

• Total voters

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Thanks for the clarification, punzy. That is how I had read the first post, so I was a bit confused. One step at a time.

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
.......................... My point is, folks, that the first batch of signs took seven years. I will write a longer meeting report later this evening and include the things that happened after the crowd left.

I'm not trying to rain on the parade, but we do need to be cautiously optimistic, celebrate, and get right back to work tomorrow. If public interest wanes, the signs will be with us for a long time to come. It's not over -- but we did win an important victory today!

Thanks for the "heads up"!

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
I'd be remiss if I didn't give a breakdown of the votes.

The first resolution to take down all the signs on 30-A, put forward by Ken Gifford and seconded by Maurice Gilbert, was defeated 4-3.

Ken Gifford, Maurice Gilbert, and Mike Stange voted yea.

Mary Brown, Mary Jo Tommas, Tim Norris, and John Gillis all opposed.

Scott Brannon (yet again) and Don McQuade did not show up for the meeting.

Mary Brown's resolution to take down the community signs, but leave up the wayfinding signs and spend more money and resources to lower them until new signage was in place passed 4-3.

Mary Brown, Mary Jo Tommas, Tim Norris, and John Gillis voted yea.

Ken Gifford, Maurice Gilbert, and Mike Stange voted nea.

The difference was one vote. TDC boards, by Florida law, only have one seat alloted to represent the community -- the one seat designated for a BCC member. Our community representative, Commissioner Scott Brannon, has missed both TDC meetings and the workshop. He represents the east end of 30A, and his vote could have made all the difference.

Scott Brannon
brascott@co.walton.fl.us

If they have $$ to lower the signs, then they have $$ to use towards new, less expensive signs that the communities want.

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
Let's do as Punzy says & keep the initiative going. Rita, you are right, because spending that money to prolong the blue signs' lives shows that they might be trying to get us to get lazy & let the issue go.

The key right now seems to be getting Mr. Brannon involved also. Already popped off my email to him, expressing my thoughts.:D

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Even if Mr. Brannon had attended and voted yea or nay resulting a tie, what is the tie breaker?

Bdarg

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Point Washington
Even if Mr. Brannon had attended and voted yea or nay resulting a tie, what is the tie breaker?

His job is to represent his constituents; their rights and interest. He could have done his job and argued for the desire of the voters who put him there to be rid of the signs. Then maybe, just maybe, he could have swayed one of the four negative votes over from the dark side to make a majority in favor of taking the signs down.

He cannot do any of that when he is not there. :angry:

reelgirl

Beach Comber
Dec 26, 2006
There is a difference between PUBLIC property and PRIVATE property, my friend. Stop trolling for a fight. Or start you're own thread. This one is celebration mode!!

you made my point...I have always believed the beach and beach front to be public...Thanks my friend.

reelgirl

Beach Comber
Dec 26, 2006
In many cases, yes they are IMO. Get off the beach property owner's case. They have enough to worry with answering th FDEP, the Fish and Wildlife Commission, the US Dept. of Civil Engineers and a myriad of other "concerned" citizens and agencies. A lot of the beach front owners were here long before you were and have done nothing but contribute to the esthetics value and useablity of the beach.

and the Gulf was here before any of us my friend.. We should all do a better job taking care of it... that is all I am saying.

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
Walton TDC recommends to remove blue signs

By Andy Meinen

Wednesday April 9th, 2008

Comment on this Story | Read Comments

SANTA ROSA BEACH ? The blue signs are goners.

The Walton County Tourist Development Council voted 5 ? 2 Wednesday morning to remove the community and wayfinding signs along County Road 30A that have caused such an outcry form locals.

The recommendation will have to be approved by the Walton County Commission at its next meeting on April 22.

If the commissioners approve the measure then the community signs that welcome drivers to the various neighborhoods along CR 30A will be pulled out, said TDC Interim Executive Director Sonny Mares. Many of the directional signs that show motorists where to go will be left up until the community and the TDC can agree on replacements.

The TDC?s regular meeting was packed with more than 50 people. Attendees applauded loudly when the TDC voted to remove the signs.

Claire Bannerman, who worked with the Scenic Pride Initiative to get the signs removed, said she?s happy with the meeting's outcome. She, along with other community members, will now work with the TDC to find new signage that will fit with the ?natural look? of the road and that will ?build community pride.?