• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I recently heard that on the Isle of Palms, just north of Charleston, SC, the County has made it illegal to dig holes on the beach without filling them in. I would hate for that to happen here, especially when I look on the beach and see so many people digging holes and making sandcastles. It's not just kids, but daddies, mommas, grandparents, we are all doing it. I even like to dig holes and make sandcastles. However, I think some basic education needs to happen on some level, encouraging people to fill in their holes prior to leaving the beach. The South Walton TDC hints at filling in holes with their new push for "Leave No Trace" philosophy. It's a start. Let's please handle this situation of craters on the beach without creating another stupid law. If there is any one single thing that can be done to prevent the huge bunkers being dug, it would be to have the local retailers not sell the larger beach sand shovels which hit the market about three years ago. Let's get back to selling smaller shovels or just do away with any symbols which suggest digging. A kid can dig with a small bucket or their hands, if they really want to dig.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Thanks for the post. Miramar is part of SoWal, even though it may appear to be more like Destin.

A few thoughts:

The beaches of 30A are not nearly as crowded as Miramar & Destin but also suffer from litter. Thankfully, the most crowded spots at Rosemary, WaterColor, Seaside, Sandestin (not on 30A)clean their own beaches which keeps a lot of litter from blowing down the beach or into the water where it would be carried to other areas. Condo and homeowner association should also be proactive.

Don't underestimate the amount of stuff that is tossed or inadvertantly lost from boats. Especially harmful items that sea creatures like to eat or get tangled in - drink cans and bottles, fishing line, bags, and many other types of harmful plastic. I think the pros are careful though.

Spring Break brings a lot young people and many beach parties. The carefree weeks are going to make the problem seem much worse. Kids having fun are going to make a mess. Perhaps organized cleanups should happen between spring break and the summer season. And also during the season and after. The South Walton Community Council ( www.southwaltoncc.org ) is one organization which in the past has smartly held cleanups after the 4th of July and other holidays.

When I go to the beach the first thing I do is clean a wide area around me, the last thing I do is check my area. When I'm walking I take a bag with me. It makes me feel good, not because it makes me feel proud but because I take pride in my beach, and just maybe someone who sees will someday copy. I know children see.

I don't want to get too deep into the problems of our society which are known to everyone reading this thread but will just mention a few hot words - arrogance, consumerism, apathy, rednecks, entitlement, disposable, spoiled, plastic, walmart, direspect, elitism . . .
Not to pick on rednecks but we do have a segment of visitors who litter everywhere they go. The kind who don't hesitate to throw stuff out of their car windows. One day a woman who I was speaking to on the beach who has lived here all her life threw a cigarette butt in the sand between us.

It's sad that the county has stopped installing sand fencing to help build dunes and protect some existing ones. Some private owners have continued the tradition but quite often just as dressing for seawalls.

Many thanks to the TDC which removes tons and tons of trash from the bay beaches all year long. I don't know how much more convenient you can get than trash bins at every walkover. The "Remove It Or Lose It" campaign is a good start. - The TDC hauls a lot of trash - SoWal Beaches Forum
The TDC currently cleans the beaches 365 days a year and services more than 470 trash receptacles daily. From October 2006 through September 2007, the beach crew filled 215,250 dumpsters equaling 645 tons of trash. The TDC also meticulously maintained more than 15 acres in public parks and nearly 60 beach and bay access on a weekly basis.

More reading - Crap on the beach - SoWal Beaches Forum

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I must have scared my mother-in-law to death about beach litter. She brought her own garbage bags from Kentucky.:lol:

She's patrolling the area around Western Lake!:clap:

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Here we go again:bang:
It really makes me angry to see the proliferation of cheap beach junk on the shelves and floorspace at the local stores as our visitors arrive. I guess at least a good 80% of it goes from shelf to beach to dump (dump is if we are lucky) in a week or two.

seacrestkristi

Beach Fanatic
Nov 27, 2005
littersign.jpg
or leaving holes for others to break their necks, ankles, legs, etc. in. :cool: Yes, little swimming pools are lovely for toddlers but fill them in before leaving them unattended at any time. Build a new pool tomorrow. You may not be aware but your holes in the beach are hurting others, people and turtles included.
LitterBug_colour_500.jpg

Note the cigarette butts! :sosad: Yes, they are nasty litter too!

Last edited:

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
:welcome:Welcome, TheBeachVoice. You are indeed a part of Walton County and our beautiful South Walton beaches. In fact, you are one of the older and more historical beach areas of Walton County and the Emerald Coast. Miramar Beach has never been a part of Destin. Walton County is nearly 90 years older than Okaloosa County. Thanks for caring. Maybe the TDC will make another TV commercial to go along with the flags and gently instruct about not digging holes and not leaving anything behind on the beach.

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
My wife just told me about a run-in she had with a beach chair vendor - Chairs for You - who was rude and told her they were not going to remove their chairs from the beach overnite. I thought Walton county had a law requiring removal at least to the walk-over on private property. Were the vendors exempted from this?