• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

What do you think of the new blue signs being installed on 30-A?

• Love them!

Votes: 21 7.0%
  • Somewhat like them

Votes: 12 4.0%
  • Neither like nor dislike them

Votes: 24 8.1%
  • Somewhat dislike them

Votes: 32 10.7%
  • They're horrid!

Votes: 210 70.5%

• Total voters

RebelRider

Beach Lover
Mar 7, 2008
"Off-Toopic"

Andy A.

My use of the "Mission Accomplished" analyis was not clearly explained. I am very aware of the exact meaning of the Banner, who requested it, who place it on the ship and how many uninformed use it as a battle cry for an end to our involvement there and to try and embarass our Commander-In-Chief for political gain.

I should have continued to state that many simply read the headines and form their opinion on a subject from the headline.

Many posts concerning the "Blue Signs Are Coming Down" after the TDC meeting would cause some to believe that victory was complete that the job was done. It is not ! This issue must now be approved by the Board of County Commissioners.

I served two tours in a "police action" in a far away county. I can assure you that I support our military and our "Commander in Chief" 100%.

I will explain my use of "current events" more caefully.

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
If I am not mistaken the chairman of the taxpayers association was on TV hating the signs demanding they be removed(Bonnie McQuiston). She is very concerned about tax dollars. Just for everyones peace of mind, I'm a girly girl, who sees red when she reads your post, and hopes you feel like a dawg when you have successfully thrown 1/4 milllion dollars out the window.

It's not thrown out the window. They are looking for other uses for the signs, from what I gathered, including retooling them for other locations, etc. I think it's sad that they spent a quarter of a million dollars on signs that they only met the bare minimum requirements of reporting the plans for the signs to the community in a span of years, not months. They had every opporunity to let people like Claire know about the signs during contact with her & others regarding scenic designation.

reelgirl

Beach Comber
Dec 26, 2006
If I am not mistaken the chairman of the taxpayers association was on TV hating the signs demanding they be removed(Bonnie McQuiston). She is very concerned about tax dollars. Just for everyones peace of mind, I'm a girly girl, who sees red when she reads your post, and hopes you feel like a dawg when you have successfully thrown 1/4 milllion dollars out the window.

maybe you should start a "save the big blue signs" thread..
I would be in support of that!:D

Dave Rauschkolb

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach
Puppetmaster, thanks for the response. I quoted the first message from you because is seemed so final, like you were in on the deal. Then I see the most recent(blue sign) message from you and it's 180* the other way. I didn't see anything in the middle(i didn't go searching) to indicate otherwise. Just struck me as kind of odd. I am one of the ones that didn't see the possible political motives from the current TDC board, thanks for bringing that to light.

Maybe you or Robert could give some conjecture as to why Mr. Brannon hasn't been to any of the TDC meetings we've all been to. It seems like our BCC person would want to be there. But, based on other posts I've seen here regarding Mr. Brannon, it doesn't look like he attends to much.

The word on the street is Scott Brannon thinks it is a conflict of interest for him to vote on the matter. I hear he is MIA on more than a lot of issues and meetings.

Dave Rauschkolb

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach

So let's say they put up billboards on Scenic 30-A and they cost a million dollars. Would you be in favor of keeping them up because of the money spent? Where is the limit? Just because they spent money on signs does not make it right to keep them.

Hurricane

Beach Lover
Del Stone on the Big Blue Signs

Saw this on NWF Daily News site and wanted to share. It was written by Del Stone.

Thank God those horrid blue signs in South Walton County are coming down. We can get back to addressing humanity?s lesser issues, such as war, cancer or President Bush?s awkward penchant for hugging foreign heads of state of the opposite sex.

Now that the benighted, poverty-stricken residents of South Walton will no longer be affronted by ghastly cyan road markers, what shall they complain about? Let me suggest:

1. The disgusting sediment one occasionally discovers in a bottle of costly imported wine. That murky layer of grape debris, decomposed insect parts and vintner toe jam simply isn?t compatible with the South Walton experience of zero lot lines and sherbet-colored faux hacienda condo towers.

2. The critical shortage of salon-grade anti-snap platinum blonde highlighter with built-in conditioner. This shortage was created by the inhuman embargo of narwhal tusks, from which the potions are created, by the Inuit people of Canada who resent the South Walton standard of living. How pedestrian! Because global warming will likely bring the extinction of these unicorns of the cetacean world, why not kill them all now and extend the lifespans of platinum blonde highlights in South Walton? Think of it as an act of compassion, our testament to the enduring nobility of life. Snaps to narwhals.

3. The lack of automated car washes that can accept a Hummer. Just because you are driving a gigantic, resource-devouring monument to grotesque consumption doesn?t mean you never get a bug spatter on the grill. And with slave wages at an all-time high, it simply makes sense to provide an alternative with price-point advantages ? which is not to suggest Hummer owners need to save money.

Meanwhile, Okaloosa County authorities are wondering what to do with the Garnier?s sewage plant property in Ocean City. You?re familiar with this facility. As you drive down Racetrack Road and the stench invades your air-conditioned vehicle, you stare accusingly at your passenger and snarl, ?No more burritos for you, my friend!?

I suggest:

1. A hog farm. Picture a vast stretch of squealing, slime-infested creatures whose waste is deposited in simmering pools of stomach-churning ferment. It brings tears to the eyes, doesn?t it?

2. A pulp mill. Residents of Okaloosa County are big on progress, and nothing says ?progress? like gigantic smokestacks spewing toxic, foul-smelling, genetically mutating poison. This stinky cloud would be our ambassador to other parts of the Panhandle, letting people know that here we believe in the traditional values of hard work and filing class action lawsuits against our industrial neighbors when science finally explains the presence of three-headed squirrels in our front yards.

3. A landfill. Garbage dumps have a bad reputation. Maybe it?s the presence of disease-carrying insects and vermin. Maybe the pollution leeching into the water table. Or maybe just the smell, which of course depends on your point of view. Look upon it as the ?smell of freedom? and suddenly that cloying, sickeningly sweet odor of decomposition becomes a brass band playing ?Stars and Stripes Forever.? A garbage dump would not only solve a disposal problem but offer numerous recreational activities, such as rat-shooting tournaments, witch burnings and metal-detector competitions.

I hope these suggestions are helpful. Remember: The glass really is half full!

JustaLocal

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2007
SRB
Re: Del Stone on the Big Blue Signs

I think it's funny. I enjoy Del Stone about half the time. I imagine many people perceive South Walton that way and did before the sign issue came up.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
If Del Stone is so worried about the "important" issues, why is he writing a story about blue signs. To someone who doesn't drive down our roads on a daily basis, they might not have a clue why anyone would think that signs were such a problem. I say, if Del likes the signs so much, let's put them in his front yard. Coming from a place like Destin or Ft Walton Beach, Del is probably used to seeing, or at least smelling, a lot of crap.

Thanks for posting his article. Now I know not to read any of his writings.

Last edited:

rdelong43065

Beach Fanatic
May 28, 2007
Seagrove
Re: Del Stone on the Big Blue Signs

When I get bug splatter on my Hummer, I don't wash it, I just buy a new one.