• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Hop

Beach Fanatic
Oct 1, 2006
Dune Allen
www.myspace.com
Organic Mama...i'm pretty sure Dune Allen Beach belongs to me...you're welcome to use it however you wish...;-)

seacrestkristi

Beach Fanatic
Nov 27, 2005
Just for the record some visitors and 2nd homeowners help clean too. :cool:
It's not all visitors littering the beach and sowal. :love:

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
Punzy, thank you so much! That was sweet. :love: The way I see it, all kids are beauties, not just mine.

You're right, the whole point is better options that take into consideration everyone & sustainability.

What I find most sad is that this person didn't appreciate that OM and her three children playing made the beach a more beautiful place. Those three children are three of the most beautiful children I've ever seen. IMHO, scenes like that only enhance the beauty of the beach.

I totally get why people would tire of crowds of Spring Breakers dropping drink box straw wrappers everywhere, but I think we as a community should be able to find a better option for keeping the beaches visited, but not overwhelmed.

Again, I think the TDC has a role....their emphasis on growth is short sighted. A 26% increase in bed tax may be great for the TDC board members, but a pace like that is not sustainable if we hope to have pleasant beaches and reasonable quality of life.

Sustainable growth, beach access to minimize density, preserve the natural beauty of the area -- these should be goals we all agree on.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
OM, sorry for your disturbing experience....

Wouldn't it be nice if everyone who is fortunate to have a gulf front home in this wonderful place realized that sharing the beach with friends and neighbors and tourists and especially children just adds to the joy .....

wouldn't it be nice if everyone picked up after themselves and taught their children to do the same...

wouldnt it be nice if all parents watched their little ones to be sure they are safe in the water...

wouldn't be nice if our leadership read Rapunzel's post and actually started to work on these kinds of goals...

wouldn't it be nice if we all decided we really wanted to work toward improving our community every day...and, then, actually did something toward that end...

wouldn't it be nice if that person in Dune Allen thought about how offensive his sign is to the children, and actually took it down...

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Maybe we need a bunch of minors to do beach sit ins. Surely the Sheriff want arrest a bunch of 8 year olds for sitting on the beach, with charges of trespassing. Can you imagine the headlines around the world?

sunspotbaby

SoWal Insider
Mar 31, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
OM- that really ticks me off. A few years ago when they were doing the sit-ins in Destin I wrote a column on my thoughts about several beach issues. (I got some nasty responses from homeowners:D) I went down to Dune Allen and walked, and those atrocious walkovers that people had built after Ivan that stretched an ungodly distance to the water were such eyesores to the view. I don't even know if they're still there, but I couldn't believe they were allowed to build them!:eek:

Sorry you had to go through that...I think the kiddies doing a sit in is a great idea...if we could only get them to sit!!
Here's the column if you want to read it.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
The thing that REALLY gets me is that these people aren't even using the beach, but they still have to keep others from enjoying it.

A mom with 3 little kids who is PICKING UP OTHER PEOPLE'S TRASH - That sure as sheet would have me running outside to post illegal signs. :roll:

They can argue property rights and MHWL and legal precedent as long as they want, but at the end of the day these people are just selfish arseholes who enjoy ruining other people's fun and who didn't learn the kindergarten lesson about sharing and courtesy.

For anyone who gets run off a "private" beach, PM me and I'll give you directions to a parking space and beach where the neighbors have some manners. If you bring your own towels, you can use the shower too!

Last edited:

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
I did go back out there this afternoon. I didn't want to be falsely accusing anyone of anything, so I wanted to make sure what the sign said.

I told Mr. OM this morning about the situation & his response was, "You better be glad I wasn't with you because I would have marched up to his door & asked him 'What the f-bomb???' I cannot stand people who do that so don't get me started!!!!" This is from my non-political husband who doesn't like to get into with people, MOST of the time.

Luckily, the guy's car wasn't there, so I pretty much knew all was clear. I let the lifeguard know what I was doing beforehand AND that I normally don't do things like this.:D The LG's response was that although he didn't agree with the whole private property issues on the beach, the guy did have a right to post them. He said if I got harrassed, just say I was going for a walk. He gave me his opinion of the homeowner, but I won't express it here.:cool:

The sign facing the access was a private property sign telling people to walk along the shore & even mentioned keeping dogs out of his property. The one he put up while we were there yesterday was a smaller version of the same sign, telling people to stay along the water, but no mention of dogs.

I went back up and spoke with the LG and he said again he really doesn't agree with the private property on the beach issue but that homeowners pay a lot of money for that right. We chatted for a little while about the subject and I took the kids and left.

I know the homeowner simply waited until everyone was gone to post the signs yesterday. It wasn't about US. We just happened to be there when he did it. It just floored me that as humans, we think we OWN everything. That's what gets to me. My kids were oblivious to the whole thing.

NOTE: We don't look like we deserve the Blue Wave Beach designation with all the signs.:shock: Yep, I said it. It trashes up the place just as much as the trash does.

SoWal is at a turning point in growth. We can either develop gracefully (which I know means one thing to one person & another to someone else) or we can explode into areas like FWB, Destin & PCB. That's what the issue with the TDC signs is about and that's what the issue with property rights is about also. As a community, it's our choice, ultimately.

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
It was my understanding that gulf front properties owners in Dune Allen did NOT own up the MHWL. :dunno:

Not according to the lifeguard I spoke to today. He said there's a lady over at Ed Walline that doesn't put signs up, just lets her dog bark like mad at people on the beach when they're on her "property."