• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

jensieblue

Beach Fanatic
Jun 2, 2005
on a lake in the woods
Hope I,m not being seen as intrusive...but I have had carpenter bees and the black grasshoppers with racing stripes. The carpenter bees, I'm told, will go after any wood that is not sealed with paint or another coating. I have cedar on one deck roof and it is sealed with polyurethane but the bees ate on. A friend told me he took a piece of paper towel and stuffed it in the holes and the bees gave up. I live just east of Springville. I have seen the black grasshoppers here since my childhood. They are aggressive and consume my husband's garden every summer. I have no solutions. I live on a hillside near a lake and we don't use insectisides, so I have limited to the old foot stomp...attacking one by one. The grasshoppers now back away from me. the wild birds love the snack and my dogs are fascinated and try to figure out what rule the grasshopper broke. Good luck...

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
Hope I,m not being seen as intrusive...but I have had carpenter bees and the black grasshoppers with racing stripes. The carpenter bees, I'm told, will go after any wood that is not sealed with paint or another coating. I have cedar on one deck roof and it is sealed with polyurethane but the bees ate on. A friend told me he took a piece of paper towel and stuffed it in the holes and the bees gave up. I live just east of Springville. I have seen the black grasshoppers here since my childhood. They are aggressive and consume my husband's garden every summer. I have no solutions. I live on a hillside near a lake and we don't use insectisides, so I have limited to the old foot stomp...attacking one by one. The grasshoppers now back away from me. the wild birds love the snack and my dogs are fascinated and try to figure out what rule the grasshopper broke. Good luck...

We ended up stomping too!:clap::clap:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
That does sound cool. These wouldn't hop away, they'd hop towards you. I was so excited about living in Normaltown and then got a yard full of freakish bugs!!!!!:rofl: Oh yeah, and the drummer for Five-Eight living next door to us.:cool:
What ever happened to my favorite band from Athens? I loved to watch those guys play. The best show I ever saw was when the singer/guitar player played a solo acoustic show at the little blues bar, where Pat Hood often played.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
We've killed a many here too. While I don't like killing harmless critters, they will wreak havoc on your garden. Can't use them for fish bait; nothing will bite them. Nothing will eat them. And when they grow up and get all the pretty colors, they will bite the stew out of you. :pissed:

And...my very first birds and bees talk with my son was prompted by two lubbers making little lubbers on our porch. "Mom! Come here! This is neat!" :eek:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Nice pic. Did you get a Nikon?
No, that was taken with my little P & S. Still waiting on the release of the XSI on April 27, to drive prices down, before I buy a replacement. I am learning a great deal about patience in the mean time, as I really miss the DSLR. Getting close ups of scary things is difficult with a point and shoot, as I have to get within a foot away from the subject to get a good shot. Sometimes, I find myself focusing my attention so much on the getting the subject in the camera frame, that I am not noticing how close I am getting to the subject. :shock:

SJ, do you have any carpenter bees? I am fascinated with these bees. Last spring I had one nest and this year I have several. It's amazing what they do, the holes in my fence posts are perfectly round, looks like they were professionally drilled.
I occasionally get carpenter bees. When they are making holes in inappropriate places, I patch the holes with a piece of duct tape, and that seems to solve the problem.

seacrestkristi

Beach Fanatic
Nov 27, 2005
robineggs.JPG
:love:Great thread...

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Those blue eggs are beautiful against the brown straw. Be careful not to scare away momma bird from coming back to the nest.

seacrestkristi

Beach Fanatic
Nov 27, 2005
Thanks, SJ. She comes back to my rose trellis every year. :love:
That blue is before the auto correct. I undid it because it was so blue it looked fake. :D

Oh, I meant to ask, do those skanks bite? Nice shot.

Last edited:

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
What ever happened to my favorite band from Athens? I loved to watch those guys play. The best show I ever saw was when the singer/guitar player played a solo acoustic show at the little blues bar, where Pat Hood often played.

They're still around. They have a myspace page.