• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Indigo Jill

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2006
Point Washington
www.sowalscene.com
I have seen "big cats" in Point Washington 2 times - both times I was driving up Bay Drive.

One time a large cat ran right across the street in front of me and the other time, it ran right up to the side of the road, stopped, turned, and darted back after I passed...nearly gave me a heart attack as I thought I was going to hit it and could've gotten into an accident as I swerved and put on the brakes.

Don't know what kind of cats they were but if I had to guess, I would say a bobcat.

2bohemians

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
www.searchthe30a.com
Saw a cute little Fox the other night on the way home around Redfish on the 30A ..... have seen several deer on the 30A lately too .... but no cats yet ...

mpboo

Beach Comber
Mar 28, 2008
Seacrest
I have seen bobcats in Seagrove in beach brush. You can see their tracks on the dunes from the boardwalks. Recently saw two wild pigs on 395. Have seen a couple of foxes on 30A and, of course, deer and coyotes.

If you want to see Cougars, I suggest one of many drinking establishments.

nicdeedoop

Beach Lover
Jul 12, 2005
OH yea... you can DEFINITELY tell the difference. And that is close to the Four Mile area where I have been told one was spotted.

While I've never seen one...I can tell you many of my co-workers and even a few customers have claimed to see a VERY large black cat (not a housecat) in the Donut Hole parking lot...But its been a few years.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
While I've never seen one...I can tell you many of my co-workers and even a few customers have claimed to see a VERY large black cat (not a housecat) in the Donut Hole parking lot...But its been a few years.
That sounds like it could be a jaquarundi. The tail on them is almost as long as the body and are dark brown /almost black.
It is also great to hear that people are seeing foxes again. They were pretty much wiped out in the area due to rabies not long ago.

Last edited:

LightWorker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
Home Sweet Home
journals.aol.com
I have seen bobcats in Seagrove in beach brush. You can see their tracks on the dunes from the boardwalks. Recently saw two wild pigs on 395. Have seen a couple of foxes on 30A and, of course, deer and coyotes.

If you want to see Cougars, I suggest one of many drinking establishments.

You got rep for that!! :clap:

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington
That's interesting. I have talked to several FWS representatives and have not been able to get much more out of them than the Service's official stance. Although, I was told that they receive several reports a week of cougars in the area. Also, I was told that someone in the Jackson Guard office had witnessed what they identified as a panther. The Eglin natural resources division receives less reports, several a year. One of the FWS biologists for this district told me that it was more likely that what people are seeing is jaguarundi.

However, I am interested in what you said about having friends in the environmental/survey business who have seen tracks. This is the kind of hard evidence that the FWS has consistently been unable to secure. The sandy nature of our soil complicates matters. It is hard to get a good impression and, hence, a solid cast.

You may want to talk to my brother...he lives off of Sugar Dr. and has seen tracks and saw a baby Bobcat last week on his property. PM me and I will give you his name and number or I can give him your number.

Carol G

Beach Fanatic
Jan 15, 2007
Point Washington
In 1997 I saw a Florida panther sitting by the side of the road on Hwy 85 while I was driving from Niceville to FWB. It was the middle of the night and I saw the reflection of its eyes from at least a half mile away... I slowed down to investigate and since there was no other traffic around, I stopped my car so I could get a good look at it. It calmly sat in the grass, looking right back at me. It was definitely a panther, not a jaguarundi or bobcat, and it was gorgeous.

They might not "officially" live here, but there are at least a few out in our woods.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
UPDATE: I heard from a very reputable source that the jaquarundi has been spotted several times in the last few days. At dusk crossing Bay Drive in between the horse crossing sign and the place where they have the horse area. If you want to see it, I suggest sitting on the side of the road about that time.