• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

seacliffes

Beach Lover
Oct 23, 2006
Tangomar
Would like to hear some opinions or information on homes in Crestview. My thoughts are that since it is located 30 miles inland, it has a bit more hurricane resistance that would be beneficial to a home owner who does not want to evacuate or cannot evacuate all of their valuables with each approaching hurricane. I for example have a large sports memorabilia collection that I obviously cannot relocate to my beach house near Sandestin (would not all fit anyway). I have looked at some of the Whitworth built homes in a couple new subdivisions they are developing up there and they look pretty good. Any thoughts on them or any other builders up there?

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Would like to hear some opinions or information on homes in Crestview. My thoughts are that since it is located 30 miles inland, it has a bit more hurricane resistance that would be beneficial to a home owner who does not want to evacuate or cannot evacuate all of their valuables with each approaching hurricane. I for example have a large sports memorabilia collection that I obviously cannot relocate to my beach house near Sandestin (would not all fit anyway). I have looked at some of the Whitworth built homes in a couple new subdivisions they are developing up there and they look pretty good. Any thoughts on them or any other builders up there?

Traffic is awful. Homeowners rates are still high since Okaloosa is a coastal county. Why not look at some of the nicer homes in DeFuniak Springs? Holiday Builders has a nice subdivision next to an elementary school and several others are starting to be built.

We are getting a Lowes so it is not going to be that bad living here.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
Whitworth's decent for a McBuilder. Definitely better than Henry, though I'd put Adams and Key Lime a little ahead of them. Schools are generally better than what you'd get in DFS. (Antioch Elementary's a real gem) The people I know that live there generally love their homes but loathe the commute into FWB or base. Area's frequently known for affordable housing for young military families, and the military folks usually make for good neighbors. Commercial development is catching up with the residential boom, and it's good they've got a Publix in town now.

By going that far inland, you also lose a little of the Gulf's moderating influence on weather. Winter overnight lows are colder and summer daytime highs are hotter.

In terms of traffic, a lot of it depends on whether you're having to do the Crestview 500 down Highway 85 every day. If you're not, it's generally tolerable.

seacliffes

Beach Lover
Oct 23, 2006
Tangomar
Thanks for the comments so far. I should have provided a little more information in that my wife and I are retired and no commute is necessary except for recreation at the beach:D. So traffic is really not a big issue. Last child is in college so we are done with the school worries. I do like the divided highway between Crestview and the Sandestin area ie. HWY 85 to midbay bridge etc.

Whitworth's decent for a McBuilder. Definitely better than Henry, though I'd put Adams and Key Lime a little ahead of them. Schools are generally better than what you'd get in DFS. (Antioch Elementary's a real gem) The people I know that live there generally love their homes but loathe the commute into FWB or base. Area's frequently known for affordable housing for young military families, and the military folks usually make for good neighbors. Commercial development is catching up with the residential boom, and it's good they've got a Publix in town now.

By going that far inland, you also lose a little of the Gulf's moderating influence on weather. Winter overnight lows are colder and summer daytime highs are hotter.

In terms of traffic, a lot of it depends on whether you're having to do the Crestview 500 down Highway 85 every day. If you're not, it's generally tolerable.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
This is so true... it actually SNOWS in Crestview.

3suns

Beach Comber
Mar 8, 2008
FLA USA
I live in Crestview and have for the past 2 years. I really like our home it is an Adams, fine for now. We are south of I-10 and I like the location. The traffic is light UNLESS you are south of I-10 going north at 3-7pm, then it is amazing slow! The town is small and it seems that I have to leave town to get to most places (except Walmart and Lowes). So count in the gas factor if you like to shop in different places. I can always get to the base in 25 minutes or less. I think you can get a lot for your money, especially these days. The weather does get a little cold but my banana plants survive the winter, although I haven't experienced the snow. We have the plywood cut for the windows but haven't used it yet. I think the thing around here to worry about is tornadoes, but good luck preparing for that. We have friends that bought the new Horton homes and they are not too pleased. There are a lot of younger families that are south of I-10, although there are some retired military as well. Overall, living here is fine it is too far from the beach for me, as we have just purchased property in Seacrest. Good Luck with your search.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
This is so true... it actually SNOWS in Crestview.

Yep Watch the weather, Crestview is always the extreme in about a 500 mile radius. That's based on 25+/- years of watching the weather.

It was actually explained that it has something to do with the geology of the area.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
One thing that DFS does have that Crestview seems to lack is a nice stock of Victorian era homes. The area around the lake is very pretty, and there are some beautifully maintained and/or restored properties that come on the market every so often. So if you're up to the demands and quirks of an older home, it's a good place to look in that regard.

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
The only death from Hurricane Opal in 1995 was from a tornado in Crestview. We didn't even lose a single shingle from a house built in 1989 and had no water damage at all. At least we don't have earthquakes here like they do near Memphis. Dang, the softball size hail near Dallas will sure knock your socks off. Add a little terror in New York City and LA. With high prices in other European and Asian countries, the safety and prices of the Emerald Coast start to look really good. At least you know when a Hurricane is coming and can build and buy somewhat for the event.

tebo

Beach Lover
Nov 12, 2007
Huntsville, Al
From what I have read in northwest coastal newspapers you may want to check on the crime rate for Crestview. But good luck in any case.