• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
I'm travelling abroad a bit this year and am trying to figure out how to have relatively inexpensive cell phone service. The place I'm renting in Italy doesn't have a phone (the place I rented a few years ago didn't either) so I couldn't even make local calls. Sooooo, this year I want to go prepared but don't know how to get cellular phone service. Skype won't work because I'll want to just get in touch with friends/family on the spot and say, "Hey, how about dinner or a visit over capuccino or wine?" Does anyone have advice? i just read about CellularAbroad where you can purchase a phone - they seem to be country specific, though, and then purchase a card with minutes. Has anyone used them? Thanks.

InletBchDweller

SoWal Insider
Feb 14, 2006
Prairieville, La
Paula,

When I went on a Med cruise I rented a phone from Robert's. http://www.roberts-rent-a-phone.com/

A friend of mine is in Australia and New Zealand on his honeymoon and he has called every few days with AT&T. He has an international plan with them. Not sure of the cost.

You may also want to go to http://www.frommers.com/ or http://www.ricksteves.com/. I bet there is some information on these sites that could tell you....

Good luck! :wave:

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
I use Alltel. I called them and signed up for the phone for France, Germany and Amsterdam. They sent me a phone that was programmed for those countries. It was relataively cheap both for in-country calls and staying in touch with my business back home. When I returned I sent the phone back in the prepaid Fed Ex package that was part of the deal. I was very happy with the service and the cost.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
blackberry makes an international phone, which will supposedly work for all of the different technologies used in other countries. Clark Howard, of www.clarkhoward.com, is often answering questions about international phones and phone cards. Search his site.

Goddessgal

Beach Lover
Mar 28, 2007
Florida!
I have been using my regular cell phone - and it is a pretty basic phone. Many have the capability to be used there - you just have to call your provider and have them activate it.

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
I have been using my regular cell phone - and it is a pretty basic phone. Many have the capability to be used there - you just have to call your provider and have them activate it.

That's what we do too with our Cingular/ATT cell phone, though I have noticed that European phone calls log in at more than a dollar a minute! :blink:

Paula, this is not the least bit convenient given the scarcity of phone booths in Italy (and not to say the road noise you have to contend with) but you can always buy a phone card from one of the tobacco news stands. You could e-mail your landlord and ask if there's a public phone near your apartment. Who knows? You might be lucky enough to have one on a quiet corner.

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Most cell phones today will work over there. Just be very prudent with your minutes as it's not cheap. Check with your provider. They may require you to activate international calling. I have Verizon and have used my cell in Canada and the Czech Republic with no issues...

waterst1

Beach Lover
Dec 24, 2006

I use my RAZR phone in Italy and it works perfectly...much better than in South Walton. I just have to add international service for the time I travel and then drop it when I return.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
All great advice, thanks. I'll call Verizon to see if my chocolate phone will work. If not, one of the kids has a Razor. I'll also check out some of the other "plans" where I rent a phone that's set up for Italy. I don't plan to spend much time on the phone anyway, just to make quickie plans.

Thanks again.