• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

WCcitizens

Beach Lover
Mar 25, 2008
Miramar Beach
:dunno:Well it's final, I guess? 2 of the 11 students are NOT expelled, just suspended until the end of the year. They will still recieve a WHS diploma plus attend two of the four graduation events. The other 9 will also get a WHS diploma, attend two of the four graduation events plus will NOT be expelled either, just suspended till the end of the year. People these are seniors..they're not coming back!! Why suspend them to the end of the year? The charges will be dropped from a felony to a misdemeaner and they will be issued a "deferred prosecution" status from the state attorney's office. But everyone knows it was already planned before the meeting, they just had to go through the motions of the WCSB hearings. Got to love it huh? We'll I hope if my son or daughter unfortunately ever gets in trouble...it will be during an election year.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
could you possibly link to a story that will let us know WHY these kids are in trouble?

NoHall

hmmmm......can't remember
May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA
:dunno:Well it's final, I guess? 2 of the 11 students are NOT expelled, just suspended until the end of the year. They will still recieve a WHS diploma plus attend two of the four graduation events. The other 9 will also get a WHS diploma, attend two of the four graduation events plus will NOT be expelled either, just suspended till the end of the year. People these are seniors..they're not coming back!! Why suspend them to the end of the year? The charges will be dropped from a felony to a misdemeaner and they will be issued a "deferred prosecution" status from the state attorney's office. But everyone knows it was already planned before the meeting, they just had to go through the motions of the WCSB hearings. Got to love it huh? We'll I hope if my son or daughter unfortunately ever gets in trouble...it will be during an election year.

Without even knowing what the heck you're talking about, I see this sentence and cringe. This is not the case you're citing, but yesterday some of the classes in the school where I teach had to be relocated for a couple of hours because students pulled the fire alarm (a felony) and discharged fire extinguishers all over one floor of a classroom building. I don't know what the consequences for these students are, but I hope it's not a slap on the wrist.

Why suspend/expel them so close to the end of the school year? Because 1) they broke the rules that govern which students should be allowed to attend school with other students, and 2) their lack of judgment endangers them, their classmates, and their teachers in addition to making the actual process of education more difficult.

I really don't understand how you justify your righteous indignation based on how many days are left in the school year. It makes as much sense as saying it's okay to take off your seat belt and drive down the center of the road if you're only a couple of miles from home.

Romeosmydog

Beach Fanatic
Nov 6, 2007
here
what did these kids do?

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
what did these kids do?

Eleven Walton High students arrested
Police say they poured paint in the hallways and clogged up toilets
Andy Meinen
Tuesday April 8th, 2008
Comment on this Story | Read Comments

DeFUNIAK SPRIGNS ? Police have charged 11 Walton High School students in connection with a break-in and vandalism at the school.

The students all bonded out Tuesday and were released to their parents, said DeFuniak Springs City Marshal Mike Adkinson.

Nine students were charged with burglary and felony criminal mischief for dumping paint in hallways, tearing a security camera out of the wall and throwing it into a pond, and clogging toilets in several bathrooms, lawmen say.

The nine students, all from DeFuniak Springs, are:

Michael Todd Campbell Jr., 17; Beau Rushing, 18; Sean D. Carter, 18; Markus Jiggetts, 17; Ashley Campbell, 19; Samantha J. Brown, 19; Tyler Reisner, 18; Bryant Bowen, 18; and Charles K. Caldwell Jr., 17.

Mathew T. Nall, 17, and Sean Michael Allen, 17, both of DeFuniak Springs, were charged with being a principal to burglary and felony criminal mischief for being lookouts, according to police.

Adkinson said the students pried open a school door late Friday night and dumped ?gallons? of different colored paint in the carpeted hallways and on the walls. Police said they also clogged up several toilets and tapped the nozzles open to flood the bathrooms. The students broke into a shed on campus to get more paint and fertilizer, which they spread throughout the halls, Adkinson said.

School officials said the carpeting in one hallway had to be removed.

The incident was caught on the school?s security camera system, which the students tried to disable by spraying Silly String on the lenses. Investigators worked with school administrators and the school?s resource sheriff?s deputy to identify the students, even though they wore masks.

Adkinson said that some of the students had ?distinctive hairstyles.?

He said he regretted that he and his officers had to arrest high school students, but added that they worked hard to close the case.

?This is unfortunate and we?re not happy about it,? he said. ?It?s just poor judgment on their part.?

Daily News Staff Writer Andy Meinen can be reached at 654-6905.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I would certainly hope that these kids are facing other punishments besides just being suspended and not allowed to attend 2/4 graduation events. Those are just school punishments, so I would hope there are still legal ramifications, but the deferred prosecution status makes me doubt it.

They should be paying for the damage & cleanup and spending their summer on a whole lotta community service at a bare minimum IMO. They didn't do a funny prank or something that spiraled into something else, they set out to vandalize the school.

Why is the officer apologizing for arresting high school students? The little criminals certainly deserved it.

Last edited:

WileCoyote

Beach Lover
Dec 5, 2007
Walton County
I was told was that they have to do 200 hours community service plus make $1400 in restitution each. All of them already had their graduation credits but one. They are to stay off campus and can not walk in graduation. When they do the service and pay the monies they will get a WHS diploma. One student did not have his credits so his parents withdrew him and he is going to the vo tech to complete his GED.