• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

kitemare1

Beach Comber
Apr 26, 2008
Panama City Beach - 30A Soon
Hello,

My name is Ed Rolen and I will be offering kiteboarding lessons at Grayton Beach starting next week. I currently reside in Panama City Beach but hope to be moving to 30-A in the near future. When the wind blows I can usually be found riding at Bud and Alley's in Seaside or at Grayton Beach.

Typically one beach and one water lesson are all that is required to get the general parameters of kiteboarding. Advanced sessions can also given be after someone has mastered the basic techniques.

Each lesson is 3 hours long. Prices are $200.00 for a single person, $350.00 if you order both the beach and water lesson at the same time, and a double lesson can be done for $300.00 if you choose to bring in a friend. We would make that time frame slightly longer so that both of you got the full amount of flying time. Gift certificates can also be ordered. My first lesson was recieved from a friend at Christmas and I redeemed the coupon at a later date when the water warmed up.

The first lesson is given on the beach in an area that is far removed from any people or obstacles. Safety is of paramount importance during this first introduction into kiting. You will learn how to lay out your lines, rig, launch, land, and fly the kite on this first day. It may be prudent for you to fly a training kite prior to taking this first lesson. Video's and some internet research may also be useful. We will need wind in the range of 10 to 20 mph for this lesson.

The second lesson will focus on the refinement of your kite flying ability and confidence in the water. Body dragging, self-rescue, and board skills will be discussed. This one will not be given at Grayton Beach. It gets far too crowded for this type of lesson. Okaloosa Island would be the ideal location for the water lesson because of the shallow depth in the bay (it is around knee to waist high for about 600 yards north of 98). There are other spots in Panama City Beach as well. The ideal velocity for this type of lesson would be between 14-16 mph.
After these lessons, you will probably be totally addicted. I know I was. Used gear is a good option at this point. A board, a harness, a kite, an air pump and your flying lines are all that you need. You should be able to get all the equipment for around $1200.00. There are a couple of reputable shops in the area. I would recommend Emerald Coast Kiteboarding in PC Beach or XL kites in Fort Walton. Both shops have a great staff and are very helpful.

It is important to remember that this is a fairly dangerous sport. Especially to other beachgoers. While learning the basics (and this probably means for at least six months if you ride everytime the wind is good) you should not ride at any crowded beaches. This means Grayton and Seaside, anywhere there are wind civilians. The kite lines can be deadly. Always ride with a partner as well.

Well, I think that is about it. We will have a web site soon. Please feel free to check out some of the photos posted within my profile here on sowal. I just joined today. Love it.

I look forward to hitting the water with you.

It will change your life.

Ed Rolen

edrolen@msn.com
daedalus kiteboarding

no flying too close to the sun

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
:welcome:Ed. We love to watch you at Grayton- everytime we turn around you are way up in the air!

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
:welcome:We watched this (maybe you) last week. I was facinated. :wave: