• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
It follows a show we watch regularly so we've been sucked in. But it makes me wonder if this is what happens in restaurant kitchens? Some of the time none of the time all of the time??

I am amazed that anyone can cook without a recipe in front of them. It never occured to me that that's how they did things in a professional kitchen. How many dishes a chef has to memorize!!!!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
A cook uses a recipe, but after you make something a time or two, you don't need a written recipe to cook it right. I spent more than ten years in and out of kitchens, and I'd see the Chef or cooks looking for inspirations in cook books, and once, I saw a cook pull out a recipe to make a particular vinaigrette, but that is it.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
My brother is in culinary school and they are taught and tested on basic sauces, recipes, and techniques, then there is a lot of practicing and memorizing and working in restaurants to learn. Sometimes they just give them a list of ingredients and they have to make a recipe in a set amount of time.

Pretty cool to watch him clean all the leftovers out of the fridge and come up with palatable food or slice and dice.

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
The interesting thing to note about that show is that the diners eat for free and are paid 50 bucks to be on the show. If Gordon Ramsey trashes the food, the guests don't eat!

InletBchDweller

SoWal Insider
Feb 14, 2006
Prairieville, La
Besides remembering how to make all the single entrees what was interesting to me is how they could make a BIG quantity of something and have it taste the same everytime.

On NFL Sundays I used to love it when the "chefs" would come to our house. I would "clean out my fridge" and end up with a gourmet meal!!!:clap:

Indigo Jill

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2006
Point Washington
www.sowalscene.com
It follows a show we watch regularly so we've been sucked in. But it makes me wonder if this is what happens in restaurant kitchens? Some of the time none of the time all of the time??

I am amazed that anyone can cook without a recipe in front of them. It never occured to me that that's how they did things in a professional kitchen. How many dishes a chef has to memorize!!!!

Yes, that is how it is in Europe. In America - usually only in kitchens with European-trained chefs.

In a professional kitchen, there is no such thing as a recipe UNLESS you are a pastry chef - pastry is a true "science". Professionals in the culinary industry use cookbooks for inspiration, like graphic designers look at other websites for inspiration or photographers look at other's pictures for inspiration.

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
Pretty cool to watch him clean all the leftovers out of the fridge and come up with palatable food or slice and dice.

I do this before we leave Sowal. Can't say that it's palatable though. :rotfl:

oli

Mr. Potato Head's worst nightmare
Nov 18, 2004
It follows a show we watch regularly so we've been sucked in. But it makes me wonder if this is what happens in restaurant kitchens? Some of the time none of the time all of the time?

Hi Mermaid,wifey and i are big fans of Ramsey but i seriously doubt that he build is empire abusing people like he does on the show,it's so over the top it takes away from the "reality show" aspect in my opinion,few people could withstand such an environement,maybe last century in Europe somewhere...
A show we really liked is "Gordon Ramsey's kitchen nightmares"on BBC America ,check it out

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Kitchen nightmares is definitely not something to be watched during or before a meal. Probably not even shortly after. It's interesting to see how run down someone will let their own life's dream get. I just feel sorry for the people that dined at those places before they were "fixed".

Oli he also does one on Fox in the U.S.