• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
Mermaid said:
.... But to imply that we are a wee bit, how shall I put it delicately?--hypocritical, is silly and misguided. .......

Mermaid, You are much too kind!

When we bought our house, we were buying something we had dreamed about for years. We were in no way sitting at the closing table thinking of the money we were going to make, but we were thrilled to finally be progressing toward a dream. Everyone has different dreams. Not everyone's dream is to accumulate as much money as possible in the shortest period of time. If that is your dream, fine. But don't belittle others' dreams and ways of enjoying life.

"Is this a way of making ourselves feel better for letting money dominate our thoughts or not selling at the high or are we just "better people" than they..."

Money may be dominating YOUR thoughts, but you are way out of line generalizing in this way. Did you even think seriously about what you wrote?
:blink:

Last edited:

KISH7374

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
CLEVELAND,OHIO
I am not an owner on the beach but still feel like it is a part of me. If I could afford a place in So-Wal, I would not hesitate to purchase. The reasoning behind this is to enjoy the beach and possibly be able to pass it on to future generations. I had the opportunity to take 2 of my grandchildren to the beach this past August. It was the first time my granddaughter saw the ocean and she fell in love with it. One of the most cherishes memories of this trip was walking with her on the beach before anyone else was up and to see her eyes and her expressions at all of the new things in her life. This is what the beach is all about. I do not own but still feel like I do and the beach will always be a part of my life and now my grandchildren.

KISH7374

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
CLEVELAND,OHIO
And another thing. To some of us, wealth is not measured by material possessions. It is measured by family, friends and good times. The beach is surely one of the best times. Don't get me wrong, money is nice but at what price happiness. All the money in the world cannot buy happiness.

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
redfisher said:
I realize we love it here, the kids have a great time, Christmas is lovely and Red Bar is awesome...blah, blah, blah...but check nostalgia at the door, its just a beach...

that doesn't need people there that don't love and respect it for what it is, a beautiful beach, a wonderful community, a place to make memories (yep, for notalgia's sake). I don't own a place there, but I am so thankful for the one's that do own, for the sake of the beach, community and what it has to offer, and not those just out for the almighty $$!!!!!

WaltonUndercurrent

Beach Lover
Mar 3, 2005
I moved to South Walton in 2000 because I bascially grew up down here and liked it. In fact, I left a successful career just to do it. It's not "just a beach" to me, it's been my home - an attachment based more on friends, childhood memories, family history and familiarity than simple topography. The crazy real estate boom that followed I never expected or predicted. It was great, and I benefited from it as both a "flipper" and "simultaneous closer" while the party lasted - icing on the cake. My point in the essay simply was that even if the party is over, I at least still have the reasons that brought me here to begin with. For me, this was a place I wanted to live, not primarily a stock or bond or commodity. For others, it was simply a good investment, and there's nothing wrong with either. How you felt about this place, what drove you here to begin with, will determine how you feel about it now that the market has slowed.

But it's silly to discount the beaches or quality of life regardless of why you own here, investment or otherwise - without them, South Walton would never have been a place that people wanted to invest to begin with. Until appreciation drove appreciation, what drove it was all the characteristics that Redfisher refers to as "blah, blah, blah." By remembering this and the continued marketing of the "blah, blah, blah" there's no reason to believe that it won't continue to be a good investment for years to come - and therein lay my point - one I am suprised was particularly controversial.

Last edited:

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
KISH7374 said:
And another thing. To some of us, wealth is not measured by material possessions. It is measured by family, friends and good times. The beach is surely one of the best times. Don't get me wrong, money is nice but at what price happiness. All the money in the world cannot buy happiness.

KISH, that's exactly what I meant, and you summed it up perfectly. I'm thinking that there might be a little bit of sour grapes somewhere in Redfisher; hence the tone of that post. S/he obviously does not have that "sense of place" as we all do about SoWal. :sosad:

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Miss Kitty sez...Pssssss Pssssss! We are both boycotting redfisher.

KISH7374

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
CLEVELAND,OHIO
Mermaid said:
KISH, that's exactly what I meant, and you summed it up perfectly. I'm thinking that there might be a little bit of sour grapes somewhere in Redfisher; hence the tone of that post. S/he obviously does not have that "sense of place" as we all do about SoWal. :sosad:

Mermaid, I would not trade the fun and good times my family and friends have had on this beach for anything. Our vacations down to So-Wal are looked forward to for a year starting the day we leave to go back home. I love it, my kids love it and now the grandkids are part of the mix. What more can you ask for?

Sheila

SoWal Insider
KISH7374 said:
Mermaid, I would not trade the fun and good times my family and friends have had on this beach for anything. Our vacations down to So-Wal are looked forward to for a year starting the day we leave to go back home. I love it, my kids love it and now the grandkids are part of the mix. What more can you ask for?

Not a thing! That's what it's all about.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
KISH7374 said:

KISH...I can still remember that feeling of pulling away in the car to head back home....I get a lump in my throat just thinking about it. The anticipation of going down was so palitable...I could hardly sleep for days leading up to the day we left for SoWal!