• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
just ran across a recipe that I must try. I have never made an empanada, though I do love them. it looks easy enough. any other empanada recipes, or tips ya'll? are these healthy or not? why am I craving one of these right now?

42207_1.jpg

Sherried Mushroom Empanadas

Recipe from Food Network. Makes 8-10 appetizer servings, 4-6 main servings.

We actually used olive oil to saut? instead of butter. Probably doesn’t make a huge difference, but obviously, we prefer olive oil over anything else. It also makes the recipe entirely dairy free.
Ingredients
2 medium onions, finely chopped
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 1/2 pounds mushrooms, finely chopped
2 small red bell peppers, finely chopped
1 (6-ounce) piece serrano ham or prosciutto, trimmed and chopped fine
1/3 cup cream Sherry
1/2 cup packed fresh parsley leaves, washed, spun dry, and minced
3 tablespoons fine dry bread crumbs
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 (17 1/4-ounce) package frozen puff pastry sheets (2 pastry sheets) thawed
Egg wash, made by beating 1 large egg with 1 teaspoon water

Directions
In a 12-inch heavy skillet set over moderately low heat, cook onions in butter, stirring occasionally, until softened. Stir in mushrooms and bell peppers and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until liquid mushrooms give off is evaporated and mixture begins to brown. Add ham and Sherry and cook, stirring, until liquid is evaporated.
In a bowl stir together mushroom mixture, parsley, and bread crumbs. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and cool, uncovered.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
On a lightly floured surface roll out 1 pastry sheet into a 14 by 10-inch rectangle. Halve rectangle lengthwise with a long sharp knife and spread about half of mushroom filling on 1 half, leaving a 1-inch border all around. Brush edges of mushroom-topped pastry with some egg wash and put remaining pastry half on top of filling. Crimp edges of dough together with fork tines and cut several slits in empanada with small sharp knife. Carefully transfer empanada with 2 spatulas to a large baking sheet, leaving room for second empanada, and brush with some remaining egg wash. Make another empanada in same manner with remaining puff pastry sheet, filling, and egg wash.
Put empanadas in middle of oven and reduce temperature to 375 degrees F. Bake empanadas until golden, about 35 minutes. Empanadas may be made 1 day ahead, cooled completely on a rack, and chilled, wrapped in foil. Reheat empanadas, uncovered, on a baking sheet in a preheated 375 degree F oven until hot, about 6 minutes.
With a serrated knife cut empanadas into 3/4-inch slices and serve.

Last edited:

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
This is the same basic ingredients I use in my mushroom tart. I must look for an occasion to make these. :clap:

Goddessgal

Beach Lover
Mar 28, 2007
Florida!
mmmm....yummy! I love empanadas too! I've never bothered to make them, though, since they are widely available in the Houston area. But I may have to learn!

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
It's really easy to sub fruit preserves for the savory ingredients. You can make awesome little fruit pies using the same basic recipe. Best to use a neutral flavored oil, though...

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I hear that by brushing melted butter onto high calorie food, cuts down on the calories while making the food taste oh-so-good.