• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
My parents had several land deals with Doodle back in the '70s. they always had a good word to say about him.

The family can correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Doodle stumble upon a robbery in progress in Fort Walton once, and held the bandit at bay with a bow and arrow? I want to say the picture made the Daily News, and my dad had it framed in our store for a while. :clap:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
If you're wondering why I deleted the link to the Destin Log article, I felt that the thread would have gone in a negative direction. It's my opinion that it is not the proper time or proper thread to be negative about a private citizen on a remembrances and condolences thread. If someone wants to start a new thread discussing the details, good or bad, of the man's life they are welcome to. To me it's about respect for all people, something most media outlets have no need or desire to offer.

I didn't know the man but I am sympathetic to his friends and family. May we all finally rest in peace when our time comes.

SGB

Beach Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
South Walton
The image I remember most about Doodle, was from a few years ago. At the end of the school day, he was walking his granddaughter out of Butler Elementary. I was following close behind and could hear part of the conversation between the two of them. Doodle was apparently taking his granddaughter to the movies and she was very excited about going with him. Here was a very busy guy (real estate was hot then!) taking time out of his day to take this little girl to some kids' cartoon movie. That's a good grandfather.

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington
God Bless Doodle and his family. Amazing man with incredible foresight......I didn't know the family man Doodle.....but the rememberences have warmed my heart. He will NOT be forgotten...not many men like him. Quoting Bobby J...."he was kind of like Cube McGee"....they both shaped communities and did it in a big way. Their legacies will live on forever....Thank you, Doodle. Rest in Peace.

Kimmifunn

Funnkalicious
Jun 27, 2005
Hollyhood
:cry: War Eagle, Doodle.

nathanthebanker

Beach Lover
Jan 19, 2007
I was very saddened when I saw this. God bless the family for Doodle is in a better place now. as others has said, if he only had met you twice, he would call you by name anytime he saw you there-after. Doodle, u will be missed.

j frank golden

Beach Crab
Jul 10, 2005
My name is Frank Golden and it is with great sadness yet with great pride that I read these comments about Doodle and his passing. You see, some of the comments are from people who never even meet Doodle, yet knew him through his great vision, generosity, good works, and compassion. This is the mark of a truly great man. The fact is that the dynamics of 30A is in a large part the results of the vision and "guts" of Doodle Harris. Doodle was a deal maker and would take a risk when others would not. I am privileged to say that I did know Doodle personally and at one time purchased a piece of property from him. It was a great and proftible experience. Doodle and I are about the same age and I will always have only the greatest respect for him and what he meant to the area. SoWal owes him a great thank you! My condolences go out to his family and friends for their great loss. My friend, Rest in Peace, you will be sorely missed. Who will fill your shoes? JFG

angieb

Beach Crab
May 14, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
A great man!!!

WE will always remember him for the great things he did and the caring heart he had for everyone he came in contact with. He always brought a smile to my face whether he was at the ball park, basketball game, or passing him on the street, he always had a warm inviting smile for me. My heart goes out to all his friends and family. The services were great, I laughed and I cried, it was a true honor to be there gathered with everyone in his memory. He will be missed.