• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Do you mean the new Montessori school location?

(The Sun stopped delivering and I realized I don't miss it, so don't know the article you are referencing).

Phoenix Rising

Beach Lover
Apr 24, 2006
I know about the conversion of the Horn's house adjacent to Eden, this is a new public middle school...

That is definitely the new location for the South Walton Montessori Academy. I believe that today is the official closing date. What a beautiful location for such an incredible school. They will indeed be a great addition to the neighborhood.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
The new Emerald Coast Middle School will be off of Hwy 98, east of 395 and east of Peach Creek, on a plot of acreage purchased last year by the Walton County School District. I believe it will be in the general neighborhood of the forestry tower but I could be wrong about that.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Why so far East? I thought the permanent population was much more Westerly. :dunno:

The owner of the property offered to sell it to the school board, as it was landlocked and the Dept of Forestry looked more favorably on granting access for a school and not a private development. There were not a lot of sites to pick from - the other choice would have been on top of the old Blue Mt Beach landfill. :shock: :creepy:

I think it would actually work out the same if not better for bus transportation, as this site is closer to South Walton High than the current Emerald Coast Middle is. Or at least it "feels" closer to me, and certainly less congested so far.

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
I was wondering where it was, too. That's not such a bad drive from either end, as we drive from near Butler to Bay each day right now. I can't imagine being in Seacrest or that area & having to drive 20+ miles one way.

SoWalSally

Beach Fanatic
Feb 19, 2005
It is next to Peach Creek RV Park. Close to Hwy 395. I really hope they leave the shown tree buffer on 98. Why don't schools leave more natural vegetation? Is it so the guards will have a clear shot during escape attempts? :wave:

http://www.waltonsun.com/news/school_1413___article.html/middle_plan.html

On Tuesday, the Walton County School Board approved master design and site plans for the proposed Emerald Coast Middle School to be built in Point Washington.
Board members approved a $1.15 million architectural plan in late February, but did not finalize details.
Right now the site plan is completely filled and includes baseball/softball fields, a gymnasium and football field.
According to Bill Elliot Jr. of Elliot-Marshall-Innes, P.A., the new school plan would give 200 parking spaces for the middle school and 96,000-square-feet for the possibility of a new elementary school that would share facilities.

k0me8t-ecmsweb.jpg

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
That looks like a neat layout and I agree on the tree buffer, but are they really going to put that northwest corner on the flood zone boundary. Just because it says it's on the "correct" side of the flood zone line (i.e. in Flood Zone X), I think the flooding in Mississippi from Katrina should have us be a little more cautious on believing the accuracy of those maps. Hopefully, it will not be on grade to make up for the "risk" in location.