• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
At times I think we're letting the sign issue define itself. Now that signs are a topic on the table, we've opened the door to this sort of barrage. Let's get back to fundamentals. To wit:

How hard is it to get lost on 30A, anyway?

If we agree that it's pretty durn hard to get lost on 30A, then we don't need a lot of signs, do we?

The conspiracy theorist in me wonders if someone is thinking, "OK, they don't like our blue signs. So we'll just propose more signs than they can possibly stand, and everyone will compromise back to what we originally wanted."

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
After a little digging something smells - here are a couple of scenarios I don't know if either is true:

1. Owner tries for several years to sell discover30a.com with no takers. It's not worth anything. Even attempting to sell it on Ebay. He convinces or pays someone to get the county to use the logo. Maybe the county is under the gun from citizens and makes another big mistake trying to save time or money. Maybe someone in the county gets a sack full of cash. Suddenly he has a hot logo property and Beach Group pays a lot of money for the logo which the county is now about to be in the business of promoting by spending more hundreds of thousands of dollars of our money not to mention ruining our scenicnicity.

OR

2. Beach Group bought the logo recently and is the party that got the county to use it.

Either way I would imagine there are a lot of competing realtors around that will bust a gut knowing the county is even considering using a logo owned by a competitor.

The county can't do business this way. Either Cindy Meadows was totally hoodwinked or was doing a favor for a friend. in either case i don't see how the county could use something commercial. At worst it would be favoritism and unethical. And they'd be open to a massive lawsuit no matter what the agreement is for allowed use by the county. It's proven tima and again the county buckles when stared down by expensive lawyers.

Surely the TDC wouldn't use the logo of a commercial site on hundreds of signs in SoWal. What about their logo with the umbrellas? Are they being punished for the blue sign fiasco? Wouldn't that be cutting off the county nose to spite the face?

jackie harvey

Beach Crab
May 14, 2008
old signs

the old signs were just right ! old friends welcoming you back (indigenous, organic, appropriate, not disneyish, not too many, a tradition and we have precious few...YOU GET THE PICTURE, :welcome:

5thGenFlo

Beach Lover
Dec 18, 2007
Nashville, TN
I don't see what all the fuss is about. Why spend any more money at all on the new wayfinding signs? We are all in agreement that the old wooden ones looked great. Let's build some more, with maybe a little larger letters, at the relatively low cost even at today's prices. Have them wind tested. Basically, put back the ones that already withstood a couple of hurricans. Done. Now, let's not fix, what is not broken.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Sign Sign everywhere a sign
Blocking out the scenery breaking my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign

BR, I swear I had just cut/pasted this dang lyric when I noticed you had it too!!! :clap: it sounds good to me. can't believe we were thinking the same dang thang.

Just design a nice, simple, wooden sign with the umbrella logo we are all familiar with, and keep them minimal - in other words make some new ones exactly like the one Dave had made for each beach community years ago. we really only need one sign per community - maybe two (each direction). if we need some wayfinding ones, we probably only need about 4. and then remove the bike path entirely. problem solved.

Last edited:

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
After a little digging something smells - here are a couple of scenarios I don't know if either is true:

1. Owner tries for several years to sell discover30a.com with no takers. It's not worth anything. Even attempting to sell it on Ebay. He convinces or pays someone to get the county to use the logo. Maybe the county is under the gun from citizens and makes another big mistake trying to save time or money. Maybe someone in the county gets a sack full of cash. Suddenly he has a hot logo property and Beach Group pays a lot of money for the logo which the county is now about to be in the business of promoting by spending more hundreds of thousands of dollars of our money not to mention ruining our scenicnicity.

OR

2. Beach Group bought the logo recently and is the party that got the county to use it.

Either way I would imagine there are a lot of competing realtors around that will bust a gut knowing the county is even considering using a logo owned by a competitor.

The county can't do business this way. Either Cindy Meadows was totally hoodwinked or was doing a favor for a friend. in either case i don't see how the county could use something commercial. At worst it would be favoritism and unethical. And they'd be open to a massive lawsuit no matter what the agreement is for allowed use by the county. It's proven tima and again the county buckles when stared down by expensive lawyers.

Surely the TDC wouldn't use the logo of a commercial site on hundreds of signs in SoWal. What about their logo with the umbrellas? Are they being punished for the blue sign fiasco? Wouldn't that be cutting off the county nose to spite the face?

Wow- an exact copy of the website design, the designers just added an extra sea oat spray. Hope they didn't pay too much money for the "design". I think I will go into the sign design biz if this is all it takes- copy skills!

Sign Sign everywhere a sign
Blocking out the scenery breaking my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign

BR, I swear I had just cut/pasted this dang lyric when I noticed you had it too!!! :clap: it sounds good to me. can't believe we were thinking the same dang thang.

Just design a nice, simple, wooden sign with the umbrella logo we are all familiar with, and keep them minimal - in other words make some new ones exactly like the one Dave had made for each beach community years ago. we really only need one sign per community - maybe two (each direction). if we need some wayfinding ones, we probably only need about 4. and then remove the bike path entirely. problem solved.

Exactly.

waterst1

Beach Lover
Dec 24, 2006
Where are they getting this environmental graphic design work? What is the process for starting over? I can't believe after the big blue madness, we are looking at this stuff. Better... but not good and sure as heck not excellent...