• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

appalach

Beach Comber
May 16, 2008
Having not grown up near the beaches, the only fishing that I have ever done is freshwater. Even with freshwater, my experience is limited. About all I know how to do is bait a hook, cast, and take a bream or bass off the hook. Though for me there is a LOT more casting and rebaiting than reeling one in :D. I am clueless when people start talking about different artificial lures, rigs, tests, water conditions, etc.

I would love to learn more about fishing, especially brackish and salt water. I have young kids, and I would like to enjoy spending some time on the bay or surf fishing with them. So, for all of you who do know what you are doing :bow:, do you have any suggestions for how I could learn more? Though it would be a blast to do some private charters, I don't really have that kind of extra $$$ now. I would really be interested in beginner workshops or "lessons", where someone shows you in a hands on way how to do everything. I thought about Bass Pro Shop, but I fear being one of 30 people crammed in an aisle like sardines trying to listen to someone talking over the announcements, while a college kid squeezes through the group to get a big cooler. If BPS does have something, has anyone been to any of their classes? It sounds like I'm looking for a small, Montessori fishing school. Please help!

Thanks for any suggestions!

appalach

Beach Comber
May 16, 2008
I just realized that asking anglers for advice on a message board on Saturday morning also shows that I don't know much about fishing. Have a great weekend everyone!

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Any decent bait shop can tell you what is running/biting and set you up a rig to catch them. Bottom line is, bait your hook, put it in the water and have fun.

appalach

Beach Comber
May 16, 2008
Thanks JB! We would be staying in Freeport...so, we will be coming over the bridge to the beaches. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good shop in or near Freeport?

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Thanks JB! We would be staying in Freeport...so, we will be coming over the bridge to the beaches. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good shop in or near Freeport?

Try Yellowfin Ocean Sports in Seagrove. You'll get a little more personal attention than you will at Bass Pro Shops.

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
If you are OK with a little self study, BPS has a couple books just at the top of the stairs that show you how to rig up for different fish and where to cast your lines and so forth as a good starting point. It is how I learned to fish down here.
Bait shops have been generally reluctant (as they should be) in giving up information on any hot spots until they have seen you enough times to recognize you as more than just a tourist.
There are great fishing spots on the 331 itself for Reds, Sheephead, Snapper and Trout in case you were looking for something closer to home.
Good Luck with the fishing.

Paige

Beach Lover
Mar 6, 2005
Arkansas
Go with Yellowfin in Seagrove. I didn't know anything about beach fishing until I went to them. They will show you what you need and tell you how to use it. And they rent any gear that you may be missing. Its not a real complicated endeavor. The hardest part is figuring out what kind of fish you just caught.