• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

savvytangerine

Beach Fanatic
Jul 5, 2007
30-A since before I could walk
Alaqua has a kitten for you! Alaqua Animal Refuge holds open house

By Deborah Wheeler​

For Laurie Hood, the good news is that she has helped 1,200 homeless animals find homes in the one year since she established Alaqua Animal Refuge in Freeport.​

The bad news is that she has around 200 more animals, excluding horses and pot-bellied pigs that still need homes. Of those, 65 percent are cats and kittens.​

"It's kitten season, so I have a lot of kittens now," explained Hood. "Also, I am the only one around who takes in cats. Several different groups help dogs, but no one else is helping abandoned cats and kittens."​

Hood moved to Freeport from Destin and was surprised to discover there was no animal shelter in the county. Walton County Animal Control took all strays to a facility in Chipley, where, if not claimed, they were euthanized after seven days.​

"I went to Chipley and came back and told my husband I wanted to open an animal shelter," said Hood.​

That was in February of 2007.​

Now, the animal control trucks stop at Alaqua. Hood takes all the cats and dogs she can, except those that are vicious or have a disease that can't be cured. Her shelter is a "no kill" facility. The ones she takes, she will keep until a home is found for them. Some have been with her since the first month.​

"People dump puppies here and I take them in," she said.​

Hood provides medical care and all are spayed and neutered.​

Dogs run free on her 10 acres and the cats live in a "cat hotel" with fans.​

Hood has also taken in seven horses that were near death when animal control found them, a potbelly pig and three sugar gliders.​

"It's a lot of work, but I feel like I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing with my life," said Hood.​

The cost of operating such a facility comes to $10,000 a month. While she gets a small amount of money from the county, Hood mostly depends on donations to operate.​

The Refuge will participate in Pier Park's first canine festival on May 31 from 11 a.m. - 3 p.m., an AKC sanctioned event. The Refuge will have a booth and some of their dogs onsite. Adoption applications and donations will be accepted. A photographer will take photos, with partial proceeds benefiting the Refuge. There will also be obedience demonstrations, flyball, conformation, and agility demonstrations. The event highlight will be the Canines In Flight Frisbee Demonstration as featured on Animal Planet and pool time for the pets.​

On June 28 will be the Hogs for Dogs Poker Run, with all proceeds benefiting the Refuge. There will be a five-card hand starting at the Lucky Star in Freeport, riders will proceed into Okaloosa County and end at The Outpost in Freeport. There will be drawings, door prizes, T-shirts, live music, and food.​

On May 22, Alaqua will host an open house/ribbon cutting from 4 - 7 p.m., at the Refuge with Walton County Chamber of Commerce. The public is invited.​

Weekly, check out the adoption kiosk at PetSmart in Destin, which has a few of Alaqua's pets, or view all online at http://www.aarflorida.com.​

The public may visit the Refuge during the summer from noon - 5 p.m., Monday - Saturday, at 914 Whitfield Road, Freeport, off State Road 20W.

"Thousands of animals have been euthanized without ever having an opportunity of finding a home or getting back to their homes. We feel by the refuge and the county working together, these animals now have a chance," said Hood.​

...​

:love::love::love:

Last edited:

savvytangerine

Beach Fanatic
Jul 5, 2007
Also got this email from Mrs Laurie today.

Hello all,

Kitten season is upon us and whew! We are loaded down. We have lots and lots of little babies ? from ones without mothers, to those that can just eat on their own, to mommas with babies.

We could really use help fostering some of these babies until they reach the age where we can adopt them. The benefit from one on one care will help them with everything from getting past this delicate stage to being well socialized, which will help with finding them the perfect home.

Please consider opening your hearts and homes to some of these little guys. And of course we have kittens that are ready for adoption!

Thank you,

Laurie Hood, President / Founder
Alaqua Animal Refuge
P.O. Box 48
Freeport, Florida 32439
www.alaquaanimalrefuge.com

And she sent this beautiful pic.

savvytangerine

Beach Fanatic
Jul 5, 2007
OMG I wish I could call and say "I'll take a dozen." Those kittens are precious.

:love::love: I so :love: those little faces.

I had to look up "sugar glider" that was mentioned in the Sun article. Here is the [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_Glider"]wiki page[/ame].

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
I will be up this weekend to see about the sugar gliders.....I have wanted one of these forever... they are the most amazing little creatures ......I melt when I look in their eyes... and the clicking noise.... omg..:love: Are they a pair or singles? any info would be appreciated.

savvytangerine

Beach Fanatic
Jul 5, 2007
I will be up this weekend to see about the sugar gliders.....I have wanted one of these forever... they are the most amazing little creatures ......I melt when I look in their eyes... and the clicking noise.... omg..:love: Are they a pair or singles? any info would be appreciated.

:clap:

Well the article mentions that she has/had three, beyond that I don't know. I did just blast Laurie an email for you, so stay tuned! (I'm sure she wouldn't mind you calling to talk to her directly either, 850.880.6399 or 850.685.0288.)

(I do want to mention, in fairness, that the photo is randomly from the internet. Not directly from Alaqua Animal Refuge.)

I hope you get the sugar baby/babies of your dreams! :love::wave:

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
From all the reading / research I have done they like to be in multiples... so if it would be easier to have 3 than to try to appease 1, that is all the better. i fell in love with them years ago when Paradise Pets in SRB had 1, but could not afford the $250. for it. But I could walk up to its cage in the middle of the day ( they are nocturnal) and make "clicking" sounds and it would peek out and respond...:love::blush:..well you know it it goes when an animal gives you those "eyes" and you know you just want to cuddle and protect it ....

savvytangerine

Beach Fanatic
Jul 5, 2007
From all the reading / research I have done they like to be in multiples... so if it would be easier to have 3 than to try to appease 1, that is all the better. i fell in love with them years ago when Paradise Pets in SRB had 1, but could not afford the $250. for it. But I could walk up to its cage in the middle of the day ( they are nocturnal) and make "clicking" sounds and it would peek out and respond...:love::blush:..well you know it it goes when an animal gives you those "eyes" and you know you just want to cuddle and protect it ....

Oh that is just so sweet! :love: I so :love::love::love: you for not wanting to leave one little social sugar all alone.

klauricella

Beach Lover
Dec 19, 2007
Freeport
I was by there on Thursday and there were so many cute kittens and two little boxer puppies. It's so nice to see that the animals have plenty of space to run around and play.