• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

5thGenFlo

Beach Lover
Dec 18, 2007
Nashville, TN
This may be taking a turn, but I saw Lake Powell mentioned earlier in the thread, and inquiring minds want to know.

Why did Phillips Inlet get renamed Lake Powell? :scratch:
It didn't. Philips Inlet is the inlet. Lake Powell is the lake. They are two different things. The inlet is the area the bridge goes over and is the body of water which flows in from and out to the gulf. The lake is the large body of water farther inland.

Last edited:

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
Let me see if I can tie this comment in to this thread. Yes, I did ski on a Coastal Dune Lake when I was about 5, but I don't anymore. There were other native and Spanish names for Coastal Dune Lake Powell, but the earliest map I can find this morning with it listed as "Lake Powell" is the "1886 Williams and Bushnell New Map of Florida." This area had left Walton County in 1825 and was in Washington County at this time.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
About two weeks ago, they pulled a gator out of Western Lake, reported to have been about 8 ft in length and eating everything in site, including the two smaller aggressive gators which would beg for food like dogs.

John

Beach Fanatic
Dec 3, 2005
SoWal
SJ:

We saw a bigger one and the FWC has sent their man back to hunt the big one down and "relocate" it. As you noted, when they've been fed they lose their fear of humans and can pose a danger.

Hopefully we'll get a photo of him as he's led away in 'cuffs.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
SJ:

We saw a bigger one and the FWC has sent their man back to hunt the big one down and "relocate" it. As you noted, when they've been fed they lose their fear of humans and can pose a danger.

Hopefully we'll get a photo of him as he's led away in 'cuffs.

Oooh I heard about this one.

See Smiley J? I told you there were big gators in that lake!!:lol:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Interesting. Thanks for that info. I had seen the 8 footer a couple of times, and have posted pics of him on SoWal, several months ago. Also posted pics of the two smaller gators. JDarg was describing the one big one which it sounds like the one you are describing.

I've heard of one which likes to lay out on a particular lawn along the Bay, and maybe I'll catch him getting some sun, one day soon. Gators are so fascinating to me. I doubt I'll be able to get a good pic, unless people have been feeding the gator, making it very approachable.

Lock up the chilrens!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Yes, yes, yes, you did tell me. I just hope it isn't record breaking size like you describe. A 24 ft long gator would be HUGE, indeed, and likely older than any human walking the planet.