• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

savvytangerine

Beach Fanatic
Jul 5, 2007
30-A since before I could walk
On Monday night (5/19) a beautiful resident of Jackson Mississippi shared that their local no-kill shelter is close to be shut down due to lack of funding. Below is more information on this wonderful facility. Please take the time to forward this message to every animal organization and corporation that can help!

C.A.R.A. (http://carams.org/ - Community Animal Rescue & Adoption, Inc) is in desperate need of monitary donations. The following is from a local news report (read the whole story at http://www.wlbt.com/Global/story.asp?S=8341736&nav=menu119_3)

Hundreds of dogs, cats, and other animals call Community Animal Rescue and Adoption home. Although most of the kittens and puppies are adopted quickly, it's the older pets that find years of sanctuary at the "no-kill" shelter. Recently lack of funding has made it hard to keep the lights on.

C.A.R.A. receives no government funding or grant money. It relies solely on donations. If C.A.R.A. does not get the funding it needs, it will have to shut down and the approximately 400 animals will have to be adopted or put down.

"Nobody wants to see that happen," said Cathy Gatlin, the shelter manager. "As much as we would like to we can't run on love alone. It's a real possibility."

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Know that passing it on and raising the awareness of this need is 90% of the battle!

Does anyone has any ideas on how to keep this organization from shutting down? Any ideas that would raise awareness of their need?

wracso

Beach Lover
Jul 7, 2007
Check with Laurie Hood at Alaqua, maybe she has some contact info or ideas. I will stay on the lookout and pass onto everyone I know.

savvytangerine

Beach Fanatic
Jul 5, 2007
Check with Laurie Hood at Alaqua, maybe she has some contact info or ideas. I will stay on the lookout and pass onto everyone I know.

I already did! But thanks so much for reading this post and passing to others!!! :wave:

savvytangerine

Beach Fanatic
Jul 5, 2007
Found this --- had to share.

(Source: http://network.bestfriends.org/mississippi/news/24349.html)

CARA - MAKING THE FAIRY TALE COME TRUE

April 5, 2008 : 9:37 PM

Article by Leigh Breland : Best Friends Network

Nestled deep in the heart of Mississippi lies a true gem. Better known to the locals as CARA, Community Animal Rescue & Adoption, Inc.

CARA is a non-profit no-kill animal shelter that was started in the year 2000 by Jerri Bennet, Janet Madden and Pat Sellers. These 3 women, along with help from family and many animal lovers, had a dream to create a wonderful place for unwanted animals with daily adoptions. Well, they soon realized that there were way more unwanted and stray animals than homes available for adoptions. Did that discourage this amazing team? Of course not! These are real "steel magnolias". They just pushed up their sleeves and got busy pushing their idea... a functioning, successful, no-kill animal shelter. Ready to stand up to MS.'s unwanted pet problem by taking in, socializing and adopting out hundreds of loving dogs and cats that needed a second chance.

Today, CARA has close to 300 dogs and 60 cats that are waiting patiently for that special someone to come in and make a familial connection. And just who takes care of the future best friends? A staff of twenty-two part-time employees and countless volunteers. The staff is caring, friendly and very busy doing daily tasks. These folks know, socialize, and lovingly care for anywhere from 30-60 dogs each. Some would say they are the best friends. Carolyn, Robert, Elijah, and Jason, just to name a few, tirelessly care for the unwanted and forgotten friends that have come to CARA.

Do the animals seem to mind hanging out at CARA? Not from what I saw. When you enter the doors you are greeted by Noah, a friendly brown mix who has decided he likes it indoors. He's happy to allow visitors to scratch his head and ears. He loves the attention! Deeper inside the 30,000 sq.ft. shelter, dogs are divided into zoned living areas. The staff members have zones that they care for by feeding, giving fresh water, and rotating the dogs outside for "playtime".Then back inside for a little "r and r". Over in a special corner, you can occasionally see Martha Gardner (volunteer groomer) making everyone look fabulous for their future family. During our visit, Rosie, a beautiful buff cocker was having her turn in the "salon".

As you go outside into the exercise area, you see dogs in kennels and runs. All are happily taking their turn outside. I was greeted outside by a curious pup in a kennel that resembled the frame of a baby bed. This sweet thing stood up on her back paws, propped her front paws over the sides and graciously accepted my greeting of ear scratching.

CARA has a vast 8 acres to utilize for these animals. But, funds & manpower are limited so more outside runs are on hold for right now.

Back inside, I discovered something that can only be described as a beautiful act of kindness. In the very back of CARA, behind all of the zones, is yet another zone. Only this one doesn't belong to CARA. During Katrina, hundreds of animal organizations were destroyed and needed a safe haven for their animals. ARF (Animal Rescue Fund) was one of these. CARA opened their arms and allowed ARF to come in and use part of their building and still does today. With expenses through the roof, food, vet bills, etc. does CARA require a lease? No, they only receive a very nominal fee from this fortunate organization. Looks like the kindness revolution has made it to the deep south and is here to stay!!

As I made my way back into the lobby, I got to meet the new adoptive family of Ginger. She's a sweet girl who picked out Stacy and Tracy Hipp. Lucky them!
Ginger was giving some good-bye love to Holly. She's another devoted staff member, who after working and volunteering still finds time for college.

There are so many wonderful stories of rescues and found loves at CARA. A new page in their book includes the opening of Northview Bingo in May of this year. 60% of the proceeds will go to operating expenses & the other 40% will go to CARA for taking care of the expenses for day to day living.

Well, after meeting the folks at CARA, I asked what we could do to help them out. Adoption is always at the top of the list. But if that's not possible in your world, there are many other things you can do. Sponsorship might be for you. Also many foster homes are needed. This helps with socialization and transition into "home life". What if you want to volunteer? Well, they would just love that. If you love animal contact you can help with the dogs and cats. If you love them from afar, there are many other things that can be done to benefit these precious animals, like being a friendly voice on the CARA phone or helping to build new runs.

Hannah, Cheyenne, Maggie, Scottilyn, and Brooke (all students at a local school) got together with their school counselor and organized a fund-raiser entitled "Dollars for Dogs". They raised $420 and took a field trip to present it to CARA. So any creative ideas are welcome.

Janet Madden said "Our wish is for every dog to live happily ever after". Seems like CARA is making this fairy tale come true.

CARA is located at 960 North Flag Chapel Road, Jackson, MS 39209. Phone number 601-922-7575. Be sure to check out their website, http://CaraMS.org.

savvytangerine

Beach Fanatic
Jul 5, 2007
:wave: Hi Savvy...does anyone know how much money it takes to keep this No Kill center running???

Ummm --- alot? :dunno: Food costs alone have to be shocking. I think one of the articles quotes 1k a day. :shock:

The main thing I am hoping for is someone sees that this place is in trouble and maybe has a way to contact a corporation that would be interested in sponsorship.

Anyone know of a company in Jackson Miss. that could use some good publicity? :blush:

savvytangerine

Beach Fanatic
Jul 5, 2007
They just added a magazine fundraiser:

http://www.magfundraising.com/carapets

Our online fundraising store has over 650 of the most popular magazine titles at up to 85% off newsstands prices. Purchase or renew your favorite magazine subscriptions and 40% of your purchase will go directly to our cause!

So if anybody out there already buys magazines for their home/office - why not save a little money and do some good? :love::clap:

InletBchDweller

SoWal Insider
Feb 14, 2006
Prairieville, La
Ok, went to the website. Looked at puppies. There are some cute ones on there. :love: Does anyone know why on some of the puppies it states that the dog must stay in mississippi??? Wouldn't a home be a home, whatever state it was in???:dunno:

Wessonpup2.JPG

noah.jpg

064.JPG

savvytangerine

Beach Fanatic
Jul 5, 2007
Ok, went to the website. Looked at puppies. There are some cute ones on there. :love: Does anyone know why on some of the puppies it states that the dog must stay in mississippi??? Wouldn't a home be a home, whatever state it was in???:dunno:

Wessonpup2.JPG

noah.jpg

064.JPG

I have heard certain places have rules similar. Not sure the specfic reason why C.A.R.A would. However, if they are as close to shutting down as it seems I would assume that exceptions would be made.

Would you like me to contact them and find out the offical reason?