• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

appalach

Beach Comber
May 16, 2008
Since there isn't a disgusting sights subforum, I thought I would post this in sports and rec. Did anyone watch the Saturday night fights on CBS and see that guy's ear? The announcer called it an "alien life form." :yikes::yikes::yikes:

McCain had called mixed martial arts (or MMA) "human cockfighting" in the past, and after that debacle on network television, a lot of people will probably feel that way too. I read an article on Yahoo today saying that long time fans of this sport are upset and likened the CBS event to a "circus act...that set the perception of MMA back a decade."

Any thoughts on this event or MMA? Anyone care?

I guess the fighters and promoters got paid, and CBS is benefitting from the idea of no such thing as bad publicity.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
It wasn't just that one guy's ear. I noticed a couple of guys with the swollen ears. Don't like to watch all of that butt-kicking violence, but I think Cilene Dion was on PBS.

Bobby J

Beach Fanatic
Apr 18, 2005
Blue Mountain beach
www.lifeonshore.com
Since there isn't a disgusting sights subforum, I thought I would post this in sports and rec. Did anyone watch the Saturday night fights on CBS and see that guy's ear? The announcer called it an "alien life form." :yikes::yikes::yikes:

McCain had called mixed martial arts (or MMA) "human cockfighting" in the past, and after that debacle on network television, a lot of people will probably feel that way too. I read an article on Yahoo today saying that long time fans of this sport are upset and likened the CBS event to a "circus act...that set the perception of MMA back a decade."

Any thoughts on this event or MMA? Anyone care?

I guess the fighters and promoters got paid, and CBS is benefitting from the idea of no such thing as bad publicity.

I actually follow MMA. I love the stuff! The CBS display was a train wreck and took the sport back 5 years! Kimbo is a joke and would not last a round with a real fighter. The guy he fought has been washged up for years. Also, the ear thing was a joke. That should have been drained weeks ago. I think the fight was also fixed. Watch UFC or WEC if you want to see the pros go at it. One exception to all this was the girls. I enjoyed that fight.

sunspotbaby

SoWal Insider
Mar 31, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
I saw this coming on and watched all the intro hype and just as they were about to start swinging, my picture froze into a blur of pixels:bang: I waited a few minutes and it never came back so I didn't see it. I thought the white guy had a "cauliflower ear":dunno:

Never really watched MMA, but love the boxing!

dcgoz

Beach Lover
May 12, 2008
I'm with Bobby J. I love MMA, but this was more bush league theatrics. Kimbo is a joke - I hear they are talking about pitting he and Mike Tyson. Maybe they'll both kill each other. I didn't see any of the fights, but I heard that it looked like Kimbo tapped in the 1st round. It's hard to beleive that he's their flagship fighter. Disgraceful.

Regarding the ear, "cauliflower ears" are pretty common in MMA, and even in other contact sports like wrestling (olympic, not the fake stuff). I think they can be drained pretty easily.

On a lighter note, Gina Carano is the hottest bad a$$ i've ever seen! WOW. Its like watching Cindy Crawford box.

Landlocked

Beach Fanatic
May 16, 2005
Alabama
I don't follow the sport but is one of those things I cannot pass by when flipping through the channels.

The idea of having to have my ear "drained" makes me cringe with pain. I can't imagine that feels too good.

Landlocked

Beach Fanatic
May 16, 2005
Alabama
I just went back and watched that fight. That just can't be good for your face.