• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Hey, I need a canopy tent or two, but I don't want to pay for it...could there be a win-win situation for me? :razz:

5thGenFlo

Beach Lover
Dec 18, 2007
Nashville, TN
Can citizens (preferably early risers) be deputized members of the 'Tag it' team, and tag items left out with their specially colored and numbered ID tags. Let's give them from 6 to 7 am to casually tag unattended items. Then have the garbage trailer trucks take one swipe down their designated portion of beach from 7 to 8 am. The money saved in not having to pay members of a deputized 'Tag it' team could certainly help pay for the removers.

Last edited:

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Can citizens (preferably early risers) be deputized members of the 'Tag it' team, and tag items left out with their specially colored and numbered ID tags. Let's give them from 6 to 7 am to casually tag unattended items. Then have the garbage trailer trucks take one swipe down their designated portion of beach from 7 to 8 am. The money saved in not having to pay members of a deputized 'Tag it' team could certainly help pay for the removers.

Order some tags and knock yourself out. Who would know. Didn't I read on here that someone was faking beach permits?

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
Scooterbug. Past commissions tried to get a turtle light ordinance. Efforts were stopped and blocked by substantial illegal bucks and lobbying, especially by a guy with a big concrete house. We may only get a turtle light ordinance because they've got to cut some sort of deal for all the illegal seawalls that were put up.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
According to current laws, only CE or Sheriff's Officers have the legal authority to tag the items.

SoWalSally

Beach Fanatic
Feb 19, 2005
Hey Smiling Joe - they even copied your photo!

http://www.waltonsun.com/news/beach_1485___article.html/walton_program.html

Beach program hampered by legal boundary
Sean Boone

The South Walton Tourist Development Council is currently at a standstill with its Remove It Or Lose It program until a new ordinance can be adopted that would allow removing items from private beach property.
According to David Sell of TDC Beach Management, the Walton County Sheriff’s Office is no longer tagging items left on the beach overnight from private beach fronts until county code enforcement can adopt a new ordinance that will cover legal loopholes.
“They gave the opinion that they don’t have the right to remove items off of private beaches,” he said. “We decided to continue the program on public beaches where we don’t have to tag (just remove items).”
The Remove It Or Lose It program was started last year by the TDC to cut down on items left on the beach such as chairs, children’s toys and umbrellas that were causing environmental issues.
Working with the TDC, WCSO officers would patrol the beach in the morning and remove items left on public beaches and tag those left on private beaches to notify the owner before removing the item(s).
One group that is particularly concerned with items left on the beach is the South Walton Turtle Watch, who fear beach obstructions will deter female sea turtles from laying its eggs in the sand.
SWTW head Sharon Maxwell said she feels those concerned with the issue need to contact their county commissioners to get something firmly stated.
“It gets worse daily,” she said. “People are not respectful of the signs and once again Walton County is not taken seriously.
“It concerns us all and makes a very messy beach and one that is not turtle friendly.”
Sell said he did not know when the ordinance redraft would take place, but hopes something comes about soon.
“Hopefully they can settle in on what they are going to do with the season in full swing,” he said. “It would be nice to know which way we are going.”

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
Truly sad. Way too many "entitled" people dragging their lazy arses to Sowal without a care for the turtle or what the beach looks like just as long as they get to do whatever the he** they want to because they paid good money to be here. :angry:
Walked Ed Walline East last night and now people keep their tents out and stack up all their chairs under the canopy. People leave the umbrella's stuck in the sand, pop the canopy down so it doesn't blow away and stack all their beach chairs against the pole so they can keep "their spot on the beach" as if they somehow own it.
It is so difficult to walk the beach without getting indignant about all the people who act this way. I know that they play an important part in the local economy. I really apologize to anyone who has lived here for any length of time for what has happened to your slice of heaven. :sosad:

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
Truly sad. Way too many "entitled" people dragging their lazy arses to Sowal without a care for the turtle or what the beach looks like just as long as they get to do whatever the he** they want to because they paid good money to be here. :angry:
Walked Ed Walline East last night and now people keep their tents out and stack up all their chairs under the canopy. People leave the umbrella's stuck in the sand, pop the canopy down so it doesn't blow away and stack all their beach chairs against the pole so they can keep "their spot on the beach" as if they somehow own it.
It is so difficult to walk the beach without getting indignant about all the people who act this way. I know that they play an important part in the local economy. I really apologize to anyone who has lived here for any length of time for what has happened to your slice of heaven. :sosad:

I think so many people really don't consider their actions to be of importance to the environment in any way. It's like that idea of voting: that one vote doesn't count, so why do it... In this case, it's one tent, set of chairs, toys, etc. won't make a difference ESPECIALLY because no one else cares, so why worry about it?

The key being we have to show that there are others who care.

Yesterday, I even took less the the beach. I left the towels in the car (great suggestion, SJ!) but did tote my Mexican blanket & sunscreen down. I forgot to take the kids' bag of toys from home, but they had so much fun making sculptures out of dried seaweed & wood on the beach that they didn't notice. They picked up the trash on the beach & threw it in my basket. Then they played on the sandbar with me & then we played with a family from Germany & had a blast, sans tons of stuff.

Less is more & gives a child a chance to learn from their environment & use their imagination. It applies to beach-going also.

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
But, doesn't the Sherriff have the power to deputize?

It sounds like the sheriff is the one that has problems with the existing ordinance.