• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Yes, they expanded when numerous Realtors began advertising, which led to filler articles from the AP, which I don't care to read about. When the Realtor ads decreased, they cut out the third section, but still have AP stories. I liked it much better when it was local stories only. Maybe one day they will return to that format.

Kimmifunn

Funnkalicious
Jun 27, 2005
Hollyhood

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
If we could get candidates from all parties, Libertarian, Democrat, Republican, Green, etc. to file for all races, the newspapers and other media would benefit from an extended political season. Help the local economy and file before June 20. Otherwise, many elections will be over and you'll be stuck for four more years with whoever. The local media will thank you and their staff will be grateful. With contested races, candidates will have to advertise until November. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the newspapers, radio and television stations sign up some of their staff just to keep the races going. :D

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
Yes, they expanded when numerous Realtors began advertising, which led to filler articles from the AP, which I don't care to read about. When the Realtor ads decreased, they cut out the third section, but still have AP stories. I liked it much better when it was local stories only. Maybe one day they will return to that format.

If it was just legit AP stories, it wouldn't be so bad, and it was aactually kind of amusing to read about exciting new HUD programs for Native American homebuyers in South Dakota and such. But they spent many a year publishing building industry press releases off as news articles, and it annoys quite a bit.

Last edited:

sunspotbaby

SoWal Insider
Mar 31, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
I worked for the Sun from 2004 until this year. In the past year, several changes were made on the corporate level. :bang:
All accounts were merged so that one sales rep would handle multiple papers: Florida Freedom has 10? properties now in the Panhandle. So reps were not only selling the Walton Sun advertising, but the Destin Log, Daily News, News Herald, and several others to the East and North, plus all of those papers' specialty publications.

The ad director, Lisa Comeau left last year. She was the backbone of the Sun since day one. Several sales people have left due to commission restructuring and work overload from having to sell other papers. The staff at the Sun is very small, other papers have sales assistants, we did not. We were also responsible for collections
and some new policies regarding credit and payment made it more difficult for old and new customers to continue advertising.
The editorial staff lost Joyce and Rich this year (reporter & the photog) and it's no secret that a weekly paper is a "training job" for new reporters so turnover is high. They get their feet wet and then move on to a Daily paper.

The Real Estate advertising got very slim and when Realtors don't spend money it hurts every business in the community. They may still advertise but where once they spent $1200.00 a week on their color ad, they may be spending considerably less now on a small black & white.

The Walton Sun needs the community's support. If you like it, please let them know. It is a very different paper in that it really is "our" paper so if you have a knack for writing or can submit photos, I'm sure they would be very welcome as short staffed as they are.

SJ, the AP filler stuff is so much better than the "news" a typical Daily paper prints don't you think?

I love the Walton Sun!

Just some thoughts from a former employee.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Who cares about the Walton Sun?

If you want info about the area that is correct and readable come here!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
sunspot, thanks for posting all of that inside scoop, which we never think about. I like being able to pick up the Walton Sun, taking it to the beach or into a restaurant to read it. I do the same with the Defuniak Herald. Back in the old days (3-4 years ago), I spent my Saturday mornings reading the Walton Sun, word for word, every page. All the stories were local. I learned much about the community. When I began to be tricked by the AP stories, I stopped reading the paper. I'd get half way through the article which had a title making me believe the issue was local, then I would realize the article was referring to a totally different place, not even in the same state. I stopped reading the paper, and now just scan it for articles which strike my interest. I enjoy reading Chick's column, and I typically read the editorial and occasional letters to the editor, but these days it takes me only eight minutes to "read" the Walton Sun. If I want AP news, I'll go to the internet. By the way, to answer your question, I don't read the daily rags, for the same reason. Papers like the Washington Times and the Wall Street Journal are exceptions because they actual have interesting breaking stories. I long for the days to open up the Walton Sun and see nothing but local stories (notice that I didn't say "local news.") and ads. I think it is wonderful that Kurt shares his beautiful photos with us on SoWal.com, but I just want to plug Richard Owen's skills, as I always enjoyed seeing the paper filled with his refreshing pics. I'd read an inexperienced writer's work in the paper, if it was locally related. I think it is great to have fresh articles, and newbie's certainly bring that touch. I do think it is difficult for the newbies to keep up with the who's who in the local political scene, and I would like to see someone with a bit of historical reference writing about some of those topics. I hope I don't sound like I am dissin' the Walton Sun, because on the whole, I like it.