• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I believe both of you are correct regarding in that the statement should have been the ECL, not the CCL. I've never heard of a CCL, but there is a CCCL.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I thought the CCL was the Coastal Control Line and is already the documented boundary/limit for habitable space oceanfront. :dunno:

It's a hell of a lot further inland than the MHWL, which is why I got so excited!

JustaLocal

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2007
SRB
I thought the CCL was the Coastal Control Line and is already the documented boundary/limit for habitable space oceanfront. :dunno:

It's a hell of a lot further inland than the MHWL, which is why I got so excited!

From the Florida DEP website:
"Adoption of a coastal construction control line establishes an area of jurisdiction in which special siting and design criteria are applied for construction and related activities. These standards may be more stringent than those already applied in the rest of the coastal building zone because of the greater forces expected to occur in the more seaward zone of the beach during a storm event."

Most houses on the beachfront in SoWal are at least partially south if not entirely south of the CCCL.

Last edited:

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
I understand and I agree. I am just saying that ones that were designed by a qualified professional and constructed as designed should survive their design storm. However, like everything else they will have to maintained just like painting a house, replacing a roof, paving a road, etc. Not to mention when some people heard what a bigger wall would cost, often they allowed price to dictate which level of protection they sought.

Actually, there were less than a handful that I am aware of that were designed and construction was overseen by a true coastal engineer. I will be watching those to see the difference in construction methods and quality if/when they are directly impacted.
BeachSiO2, Not that you personally have a dog in this seawall issue, I'm sure you see people sometime speak from their emotions rather than their mind. I'm also guilty! :D

I appreciate all of your input, even though you and I fundamentally disagree on the private vs. public beach issue. And we will just sit back from the comfort of our armchair and keyboard and "play quarterback" until it is resolved.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
From the Florida DEP website:
"Adoption of a coastal construction control line establishes an area of jurisdiction in which special siting and design criteria are applied for construction and related activities. These standards may be more stringent than those already applied in the rest of the coastal building zone because of the greater forces expected to occur in the more seaward zone of the beach during a storm event."

Most houses on the beachfront in SoWal are at least partially south if not entirely south of the CCCL.
What you say is true with this caveat. Most of the houses and condominiums in Walton county that are forward of the CCCL were constructed before a CCCL was put into place. I don't know exactly when it was instituted but it was after l983. Also, at least one condominium development I know of, violated the CCCL and nothing was done about it at the time or since.

JustaLocal

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2007
SRB
What you say is true with this caveat. Most of the houses and condominiums in Walton county that are forward of the CCCL were constructed before a CCCL was put into place. I don't know exactly when it was instituted but it was after l983. Also, at least one condominium development I know of, violated the CCCL and nothing was done about it at the time or since.

By "violated the CCCL" do you mean they built south of it without a permit? I've seen many houses permitted across the line since it was implemented. Sometimes as far south as the properties to either side and sometimes no further than the main dune crest. I believe it to be a line of regulation, not prohibition.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
It is my understanding they were permitted to exceed the CCCL by a certain number of feet (minimal) and they then exceeded that in order to construct and landscape their plans desired. While the line may be one of regulation, it has always been my understanding that it was also one of prohibition. I am not informed enough about it to state unequivocally one way or the other.

JustaLocal

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2007
SRB

JustaLocal

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2007
SRB
Maybe this isn't the best time to use that list of permits under review. Most of those 115 are for armoring.

I looked up about 10 of the non-armoring properties and only one of those is for a house. The others already have a home on the property so must be for dune walkovers, decks, additions or the like. Not too much building going on anywhere in SoWal right now.

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
It is my understanding they were permitted to exceed the CCCL by a certain number of feet (minimal) and they then exceeded that in order to construct and landscape their plans desired. While the line may be one of regulation, it has always been my understanding that it was also one of prohibition. I am not informed enough about it to state unequivocally one way or the other.

:wave: It's a line of jurisdiction NOT prohibition. In other words it must meet certain criteria depending on what "it" is and be permitted by the Florida DEP.