• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SharonVaughn

Beach Comber
Feb 21, 2008
Seacrest Beach
Aggie, Thank you, thank you thank you!!! exactly what I was looking for. Fortunately I stumbled on a CVHN meeting on this board earlier last week so I am very excited to be working with them! I will surely get involved in the Cultural Arts group and wherever else I can as far as the local culture!

Mark Partington

Beach Lover
Dec 10, 2007
walton county
www.flickr.com
Even though were somewhat of a gladiator camp of sorts...local arts & music scene is pretty fun.
Gotta meet Debbi & allison at BigMamas in grayton....get topcb(spinnaker) for rock & roll w/ no lines...lots of New Orleans Bands at peir par this summer....If ya need a "pirate map" of sorts shoot a mssg....not all the fun is on 30A; faux real...so tank up.
Welcome ...I remember seeing your moving mssgs.
YOUR HERE!
m

SharonVaughn

Beach Comber
Feb 21, 2008
Seacrest Beach
Thanks Mark! I'm glad the move finally happened and I'm starting to realize that 4 wheels are required to get the full experience.... thanfully my trusty Toyota gets great mileage!

avalon

Beach Fanatic
Apr 21, 2008
Seagrove
The Publix grocery store at Watercolor seems to be our "marketplace". Stop in for a sushi roll or sandwich and see tons of potential new friends at once. Go midafternoon on a weekday to up the locals to visiters ratio. It won't take long to start recognizing the regulars- it is actually a small town in disguise.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
Welcome Sharon :welcome:

As a relative newcomer myself, here only 3 years now, I can say that whatever your interests, you will find the locals and regular visitors welcoming. Very few of us in SoWal are natives, so we're all accustomed to making new friends. No offense intended to genuine natives, I just haven't met them yet.

You'll see lots of folks at the local eateries, Publix, the Seaside ampitheater events, the various art/wine/market/charity events at Seaside and Rosemary, the outdoor events at Gulf Place, Seaside Rep events, at Sundog Books. I haven't enjoyed the events at Alys yet, but they'll be handy for you. Trivia night sounds like fun.

As for me, I'll be contentedly munching some Q at Jambone. As a long-time Memphian, I've finally found a BBQ that has a pork shoulder I like. Now, if I could just persuade them to dump that Carolina sauce for a good Memphis recipe. :D

bluemtnrunner

Beach Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
The Publix grocery store at Watercolor seems to be our "marketplace". Stop in for a sushi roll or sandwich and see tons of potential new friends at once. Go midafternoon on a weekday to up the locals to visiters ratio. It won't take long to start recognizing the regulars- it is actually a small town in disguise.

I have been invited to more parties while shopping in Publix. I also get the latest updates on local politics, weather, gossip. It definitely depends on when you go though. When the vacationers are stocking up the locals can only be seen as blurs running down select isles and then out the door.

Sharon if you are interested in food, my husband is a chef and we are planning to start doing cooking classes for small groups at our home. I have only been in the area for a year and we think it would be a great way to get to know our neighbors. I'll keep you posted on when we get a date set. We are looking at late July for the first one.

SharonVaughn

Beach Comber
Feb 21, 2008
Seacrest Beach
Wow - I would Love Love Love to be a part of the class so please do keep me posted! I have hardly been cooking for just myself and I am looking forward to starting again when my son returns home from his summer vacay on the Jersey Shore with my parents!

totaljen

Beach Lover
May 29, 2008
Blue Mountain Beach
Sounds like fun!!

A home group cooking class sounds like a good time! Definitely keep us posted on it .... hopefully, my husband and I will officially be moved to SoWal by your first class! We're looking forward to meeting lots of folks in the community too. :welcome:Sharon! Lots of great 'new-comer' info on this thread!

Landlocked

Beach Fanatic
May 16, 2005
Alabama
Very few of us in SoWal are natives, so we're all accustomed to making new friends. No offense intended to genuine natives, I just haven't met them yet.

For years, my mother had a bumper sticker on her car that read "Semi-Native". I wish I could find one somewhere.

jamie

Beach Lover
Mar 3, 2007
welcome! i do hope you are getting to know your way around & meeting new people!