• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
oh man, this is my favorite thing about summer... the tomato. not just any tomato...
moz-screenshot-5.jpg

A Celebration of Seafood and Tomatoes
Festivals to highlight local cuisine: June 8-10

New Orleans doesn’t need an excuse to throw a party. Its wide variety of cultures, unique foods and storied history naturally lend themselves to celebration, and only New Orleans knows how to celebrate these attributes in grand, colorful, fun style.
All of these elements come together once again during the weekend of June 8-10 at the 21st Annual Creole Tomato Festival (also known as the French Market Tomato Festival) and the first annual New Orleans Seafood Festival. Unique to the rich alluvial soil of southern Louisiana, the Creole tomato is prized for its flavor, which adds so much to so many recipes it would take volumes to document it all. As for seafood, south Louisiana harvests more of it than any other state in the nation. And what better place to celebrate these culinary delights than in the nation’s oldest city marketplace, the French Market, which dates back to 1791.
The gala, one-day Tomato Festival on June 9 will feature live music and dancing, displays of various Creole tomato dishes (with tasty samplings!), cooking demonstrations, recipes and, of course – in typical New Orleans style – a parade. This year’s Tomato Queen, her court and other merry revelers will gallivant through the French Quarter on foot and on mule-drawn carriages and open the festival in the morning. Freshly picked Creole tomatoes and other tasty, homegrown produce items will be on sale the entire day.

[FONT=tahoma, arial, sans serif]The Creole tomato is grown only in certain parts of south Louisiana, where the soil is just right. It can be large or medium-sized, and has an imposing corona at the top. No corona? Not a Creole. I start thinking about Creole tomatoes some time around March or April. I try to recall the exact look and taste of this sweet, fleshy, robust fruit. Then I enjoy a kind of maddening anticipation of the season, forgetting for a moment that the misery of heat and humidity is soon to come.[/FONT]click here for the rest

an old blog...
It's Creole Tomato Time!

Posted May 11th 2006 1:48PM by Heidi Post
creole.jpg
Family lore states that my grandfather cried twice a year -- once when creole tomato season began, and once when it ended. Maybe it's genetic, but I feel the same way. I just got my first box of Becnel's creole tomatoes at Dorignac's this weekend. Becnel's are always the best; maybe it's got something to do with that Belle Chasse soil they're grown in. Or maybe the Becnel family just has the magic touch.

There's something about a creole that just doesn't compare to other tomatoes. I've eaten fresh roma tomatoes in Italy, and even they couldn't hold a candle to creoles. The texture is different from other varieties -- grainer, but in a good way, meatier, and more tender. They aren't necessarily even very attractive. The tops usually split, they tend to grow in strange shapes, and the color will often be mottled with green (which I suppose doesn't sound all that unusual for something born and raised in these parts).

I didn't know if Katrina would affect the crops for this year, but my tastebuds will testify that they are as delicious and mouthwatering as ever. I've been eating them alone for at least one, if not two meals a day since Sunday. And I've got a spare box of tissues waiting in the wings come season's end.

Last edited:

InletBchDweller

SoWal Insider
Feb 14, 2006
Prairieville, La
mmmmmmmm.....

just one more reason to make me wanna move back...

Toots, I will have to leave some on your doorstep as well...:wave:

InletBchDweller

SoWal Insider
Feb 14, 2006
Prairieville, La
can I have a big basket? I'll give you some$$$$$$!!!!! name your price!!!:D

I will gladly bring some back when I see some. If not this weekend maybe the next... payment :scratch:I will have to think about that one... :wave:

drsvelte

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Sandestin & Red Stick
Creole tomatoes arrived in Baton Rouge this week. I bought 8 pounds. Lordy, they are very good! :D

No issues with salmonella in Louisiana tomatoes.

Last edited:

InletBchDweller

SoWal Insider
Feb 14, 2006
Prairieville, La

Creole Tomato festival starting this Friday at the French Market. :clap:We are going on Friday and I will try to take some photos.​

I saw some guys selling some today between P/ville and Gonzalas. What is the average price for creoles???​

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
I saw your post to Toots. This looks like so much funn. Wish it wasn't so far, I'd go for sure. Take lots of pics!