• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I've mentioned this before, but I do need a tent if I'm going to have people baking in my front yard in July. Reckon I could score a free one? :D

You can probably have it delivered by the TDC, call them and complain that the one you want was removed. ;-)

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
June grass is the fine, slimy green stuff that somehow winds up in your bathing suit. The brown, scratchy stuff is something else.
Correct...June grass is actually algae. The brown stuff is Sargassum Grass

Last edited:

bdub

Beach Lover
Jan 29, 2008
on my walk from seacrest beach to watersound -- i saw maybe 10 dead crabs. is this normal? it was in areas with heavy algae and grass.

seaweed questions

Ah maaaaaaaaaaaannn ? my first trip to SoWal in two years -- TWO YEARS -- and the June grass is going to make my surf-fishing an exercise in, well ? exercise. Please note, I understand and appreciate the fact that this is just Mother Nature doing her thing and that it happens every year and it's actually good for the ecosystem ? but I'm a shallow and na?ve person at heart, so ultimately ... I hold all of you responsible. I trust that everyone on the board will get together and clean all of the muck up before I get there on Saturday afternoon. Thanks, I appreciate it.

Kidding, of course. ;-) I'm hopeful my fishin' buddies and myself can find a relatively clean spot somewhere for which to set up lines -- and, if not, we've got a 12-hour charter boat trip out of Destin set up for Monday. If anything interesting happens, I'll make sure I post a report. Ultimately, I'm hoping for a little artistic inspiration while I'm down there. The cubicle I'm sitting in right now just ain't doin' it for me. Thank God/Gore for the internet and SoWal.com.

It will be a short visit to your paradise by the sea, but a long overdue one. And, I'm hopeful the wife and me can finally escape the demands of work this fall and schedule an extended stay on 30A. We definitely need it.

But, seriously. Please clean up the June grass by Saturday. :D

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Ah maaaaaaaaaaaannn ? my first trip to SoWal in two years -- TWO YEARS -- and the June grass is going to make my surf-fishing an exercise in, well ? exercise. Please note, I understand and appreciate the fact that this is just Mother Nature doing her thing and that it happens every year and it's actually good for the ecosystem ? but I'm a shallow and na?ve person at heart, so ultimately ... I hold all of you responsible. I trust that everyone on the board will get together and clean all of the muck up before I get there on Saturday afternoon. Thanks, I appreciate it.

Kidding, of course. ;-) I'm hopeful my fishin' buddies and myself can find a relatively clean spot somewhere for which to set up lines -- and, if not, we've got a 12-hour charter boat trip out of Destin set up for Monday. If anything interesting happens, I'll make sure I post a report. Ultimately, I'm hoping for a little artistic inspiration while I'm down there. The cubicle I'm sitting in right now just ain't doin' it for me. Thank God/Gore for the internet and SoWal.com.

It will be a short visit to your paradise by the sea, but a long overdue one. And, I'm hopeful the wife and me can finally escape the demands of work this fall and schedule an extended stay on 30A. We definitely need it.

But, seriously. Please clean up the June grass by Saturday. :D

I'll get right on it.:wave: :lol:

Henry

Beach Comber
Feb 9, 2006
Seattle, WA
Hello All:

Sorry to beat this topic to death, but it's a long flight for us to visit and before coming back we would like to know if the Algae Problem has been getting worse or better.

Some on this thread call the algae June Grass, but our last two visits were in August and the algae was as thick as I have ever seen. As a kid we would visit for two weeks in the Summer and this didn't seem to be a problem, but that was a long time ago.

So, any advice on when to best avoid the algae, the sargassum grass isn't an issue with us.

Thanks, Henry in Seattle

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Hello All:

Sorry to beat this topic to death, but it's a long flight for us to visit and before coming back we would like to know if the Algae Problem has been getting worse or better.

Some on this thread call the algae June Grass, but our last two visits were in August and the algae was as thick as I have ever seen. As a kid we would visit for two weeks in the Summer and this didn't seem to be a problem, but that was a long time ago.

So, any advice on when to best avoid the algae, the sargassum grass isn't an issue with us.

Thanks, Henry in Seattle

Come before June. Seriously though, it has either gotten worse over the years or when you were a kid you didn't care since you were at the beach. ;-)

Auggie Gal

Beach Comber
Jun 20, 2008
Saint Augustine, FL
Hi, ya'll. This is my first post, but have been a panhandle kid since living there in the early 60's (learned to swim in Choctaw. Bay and the gulf near Destin). Concerning the algae blooms-they were not as prolific back years ago due to the lower density population and the near absence of golf courses and developments that send fertilizers into the streams and coastal areas. Seaweed has always been around. It was a different world around the area back then, but it's still beautiful now and we need to preserve what's left that is still natural and pristine. Live in St. Augustine now, but we'll be back to Grayton in a week, always love it. This forum has been a great way to connect to a place dear to my family's heart-thought I should finally join in for a chat.