• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

rwenzel2

Beach Crab
Jun 20, 2008
We were at Topsail State Park last summer during the middle two weeks of July, and the water was beautiful for the first 10 days or so. Then the algae came along, and it was really green and slimy. Sounds like that is what is going on now, but earlier in the summer. Does anybody know if it goes away once it has arrived, or does it stay that way for the rest of the summer? We're coming July 12th.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Just like the weather, we can't predict what the seaweed is going to do tomorrow, next week, or next month.

If the seaweed or weather is not to your liking when you get here, I apologize in advance for the unpredictability of Mother Nature.:wave:

gardening1970

Beach Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
Atlanta
My group was in Seagrove last week. We had 2 very clear days, 2 heavy seaweed/sargassum days and 2 hit-and-miss days. We had a wonderful time everyday! Your trip will be terrific because you will be in SoWal. Best wishes for lots of fun.

SGB

Beach Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
South Walton
We were at the beach in Dune Allen yesterday. There was a little bit of seaweed in the water. Not enough to bother us or anyone around us. None of the slimy stuff.

fishcookies

Beach Comber
Mar 11, 2008
Thanks for the tip!

Just wanted to say thanks for the heads up about the sargassum weed. Had I not been faithfully scouring the Sowal boards before our vacation, I wouldn't have thought to investigate for critters in the seaweed, and the kids would have really missed out. We found several lantern fish, crabs and other things, and we had quite the aquarium going in our sand bucket every day.

We also managed to find hamburger beans and sea hearts washed up in the seaweed, too - two collectible things beachhounds will probably recognize. I've been surprisingly successful in all my previous trips at finding some really great shells -- lots of scotch bonnets, chestnut turbans, olives, moons, etc. -- but the sea beans were a treat because I'd never scrounged for those before, and the sargassum is a great place to find them.

Oh, and for those of you who love beachcombing as much as I do, I can highly recommend two books - Florida's Living Beaches and Florida Seashells. They're a wealth of info about whatever you might find washed up on the shore. I'd consider them a must if I were a resident...

Thanks again!

Auggie Gal

Beach Comber
Jun 20, 2008
Saint Augustine, FL
Seaweed

Hi, all! :wave:What's the news on the sargosso seaweed? Clearing or still heavy? We're clear here on the east coast, was a beautiful evening on the beach. We're arriving Sat. at Grayton. Thanks! Gal.

njackie

Beach Lover
Nov 18, 2004
My son lived in Saint Augustine for a couple of years and we loved visiting there. We often went to the downtown area for lunch etc. He lived in an rv park that had this wonderful flea market. What great memories.

Auggie Gal

Beach Comber
Jun 20, 2008
Saint Augustine, FL
:wave:Thanks for the warm welcome! We always get asked why we're leaving Saint Augustine for another beach to vacation, but the Gulf is so different than the Atlantic, and it's just so nostalgic for me to be in the area. We also wanted our children through the years to experience it, despite the changes from when I was a kid. It really was just beautiful sugar sand beaches and very few houses on the beachfront back then-the old timers knew to build away from th dunes. If you've never been to Saint Augustine, we have beautiful beaches too, and warm friendly folk. The old city is a great place to hang out and make memories. One of my favorite local bumper stickers is "St. Augustine, a little drinking village with a fishing problem". Bring your rod and reels! Looking forward to waking up Sunday in Grayton! Gal.