• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

TNJed

Beach Fanatic
Sep 4, 2006
Seagrove Beach, FL
Has Turtle Watch ever looked at flying one of those advertising banners behind the planes? A couple during these next peak weeks would definitely be seen especially since we don't have as many as Destin or PCB.

Lettering on those banners is limited I know, so a curt message would be needed.

"Help the Turtles! Fill in holes and remove beach items. 850-xxx-xxx"

:dunno:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I like it TNJed. Here's another one: turtle watcher walkers could take a walking stick with a light-weight aluminum seal of a turtle watch logo, with similar text. As they walk their stretch of beach, the seal would hit the sand as they walk with their walking stick, leaving small reminders which will wash or blow away after being seen by some people.

It may be too awkward and hitting the ankles of the walker, and it may be considered as "soliciting" on the beach without permit, but I've always thought that would be a good way to help with the awareness of the urgency.

totaljen

Beach Lover
May 29, 2008
Blue Mountain Beach
I think this idea was mentioned in some other thread, but I thought it was worth repeating--what about approaching all the rental management agencies w/fliers/pamphlets whatever, w/info on how to help the sea turtles, and put these things in guest welcome packets, or put them in the rooms after cleaning...At the very least, maybe the parents of the kids will read it and care enough to be active in cleaning up/filling in holes each day before leaving the beaches.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I vote for a turtle "infomercial" preceding every free movie and a magnet on every rental unit fridge - preferably at eye level.

There are so many signs at the accesses already that I think a turtle specific sign will just get lost and add to the clutter and pamphlets get lost or stuck in a drawer.

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
I'll throw $100 into a kitty to start some sort of flyer or magnet type of idea for the rental units. Where do we send it? Who else is with me?

Perhaps it could be included in rental contracts as a item that must be read and sign that you have read before being allowed to rent.

totaljen

Beach Lover
May 29, 2008
Blue Mountain Beach
The magnets are a great idea! And good question ASH, where would we contribute to this becoming a reality?
What about some sort of sticker too? The SoWal stickers are SO popular and easy to notice. What about some sort of sticker w/a sea turtle figure on it that says:
"Holes kill", "If you Dig it - Fill it!", "Beach Holes, night lights, +Trash = Death", "Help Us Help Them" ...or something like that.
Kind of cheesy maybe, but I remember the first time I came to Seagrove and saw all these blue 'SoWal' stickers everywhere...it made me want to know what it was and where I could get one. It could sort of become another 'local icon' to raise awareness.

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
Many thanks to everyone who has read the thread and posted suggestions. There are some good ones here!
Just a reminder to anyone who wants to work on this to contact the Turtle Watch directly with your suggestions, I am just the messenger.
Thanks again. :love:
Contact info is swturtlewh@cox.net

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
k30yxl-turtletrap.jpg

Fun in the sand could mean trouble for turtles

http://www.nwfdailynews.com/news/turtles_8960___article.html/south_watch.html

IRIETYMES

Beach Lover
Jul 9, 2007
Measures

"Foolish is the man
who sows the air and
tills the sand."

As we watch the endless progression of visitors, not all of them children, avidly break out the shovels and start digging as if their very lives depend on reaching some mystic depth, we are reminded of the above, attributed to a 16th century poet. We usually ask those around us to fill in their holes and take in their stuff, but we are often rudely reminded that it is none of our business. Several times I have been told that that portion of the beach is "owned" by someone who said it was Ok to dig and leave. Fools! No one can own sand; it is as ephemeral as air. When the big winds and waves come and pound the coastline, their "sand" is often taken far away and deposited on someone's else's piece of temporary land. I don't see them trying to find their sand afterwards. I don't hear from them when the dump trucks begin bringing dredged sand back to their dwelling space and that sand came from somewhere in the Gulf that didn't belong to the homeowner getting it either. Better to understand what this piece of paradise needs and must have to survive the onslaught of man; turtle habitat, and unlike bird nesting sites, or marine aquaculture sites, turtle nesting areas can't be easily defined or charted, graphed, plotted until after the turtle has laid eggs. What is really needed are laws that protect and are enforced, that protect wildlife including turtles and that have high dollar fines for individuals or owners whose beach "property" has holes left by renters or visitors, and for our flotsam and jetsam, the toys left afterwards. Get some balls, boys. Put some teeth into the laws and enforce'em! The developers and the irriational beachfront home owners who insist that they "own" the land to waters edge must be brought into the process, and taught what is required to get along with the rest of life.
Catch'em while they're digging and give'em a courtesy notice requesting holes be filled and detritus removed nightly. Take names and addresses, then check back. Give'em a ticket much as tickets are given for bringing glassware to the beach. The days of "all about ME" are over. Responsibility starts now. Might take some more deputies or night patrol lifeguards, or civilian deputized assistants. But that is what will ultimately end the problems. Make it cost'em.
The rest of those ideas - education, magnets for units, airplane banners, signs, more signs ad nauseum, are for the kids who can still learn without rancor and infantile behavior. That's what I think anyway. :blink: